My (late) NYINC 2020 Pick-ups

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by frankjg, Jan 24, 2020.

1. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I'm a little slow in getting my NYINC 2020 pick-ups posted, with a good excuse.

First off, great show... I really look forward to going all year. I only got to spend 3-4 hours on the bourse floor on Saturday and high-tailed it home due to the impending snow storm (3" meh.. that's not a storm).

In that short time I got to meet up with @paddyman98 and spend a little time BS'ing and checking out his purchase. He posted a pic of us, better than the one I took.

I only picked up two coins, but definitely could have spent a ton of money. I did think prices were a bit on the high side.

When I got home I had every intention of doing this write-up and then it hit me - not an idea but a horrific stomach bug. Leveled me and then proceeded to take out my wife and Daughter... my son, home from college somewhat escaped it.

Anyway, back up on my feet and here are my pickups.. nothing spectacular but they are mine all mine :)

IMG_1602.JPG
    Trajan
    AE Sestertius
    23.40g, 32.5mm
    Rome Mint; 114-117AD
    Obv: Laureate draped bust right
    Rev: Trajan seated left on platform on right with prefect, he presents Parthamaspates to Parthia kneeling right; SC in exe
    RIC II 667

This coin has issues (a little smoothing, scratch on the back, missing some of the legend, etc..) but to me they are worth the price of admission as my first sestertius that did not break the bank at all. I love the portrait and the reverse scene is by far my most interesting coin so far. It also kicks off my plans for 2020 to put together a denomination set of one emperor.
    IMG_1606.JPG
    Random Byzantine that I need to attribute.. cheap pick-up from a coin wholeseller that does business out of my town in the Hudson Valley... they have tons of coins that you can sift through and I really could sit there all day. I bought this coin so I could strike up a discussion with the owner and now I have an in to hopefully visit their place (they do not have a storefront).

My only constructive criticism is that the bourse needs to be a bit bigger.. it was packed on Saturday and hard to get a good look at the material. I was hoping to pick up my first RR but honestly, it was tough to weave in and out of people and sift through all the coins.

Thanks for looking and post anything relevant.

TIF, Fugio1, Alegandron and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here are the pictures I took of your coin at the show!
    20200118_120349.jpg 20200118_120402(1).jpg 20200118_120407(1).jpg

TIF, Andres2, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted