My last post here and apology for my previous one...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, May 29, 2021.

1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

In my previous post about a COINage article on counterfeit verification I hadn't considered the possibility of copyright infringement.

I actually reported it myself after Conder101 pointed it out and apparently the admins agreed as it was removed. I suppose that posting on my own published articles could be viewed in a similar manner and will not post here again in the future.

Best, Jack.

Marshall likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Can't you post anything at all as long as you have permission?

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Even if you stop posting articles, please still bless us with your presence and knowledge!

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh… no, no, no…. We need your knowledge here, Jack. I have no earthly idea what may have transpired but please don’t stop sharing your knowledge with us.

Stevearino, Revello, CircCam and 7 others like this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Can't you just say 50 Ave Dougs and be forgiven

7. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Jack, I don't think you understand just how much your posts mean to us. Please continue to grace us with your presence.

8. Jack,
    I came by for a visit today to see if this site has become more user friendly.
    I see from multiple posts and now this that it has not.
    I would like to invite you to not give up all together
    There are other forums that may fit you better and after enough people leave I bet someone who matters will notice and this forum could change.

NOS likes this.
  9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Huh?

Maxfli, Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I have always appreciated your articles Jack.

11. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Jack D. Young. I was advised by a moderator that posting the article is a no-no but a link to the article was allowed. Hope you will continue providing us with such valuable information re counterfeits. :)

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  12. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Not sure what you mean by that. o_O There are lots of great guys and gals on here. Very generous and helpful individuals. Just look at the contest forum or the thank you posts. Why just today, @potty dollar 1878 was given some coins from @CoinJockey73

And this is the most user friendly coin forum I've seen so far. Most others are all over the place and hard to read text.

13. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Sadly, there are cutthroat lawyers out there who spend their careers looking to sue and collect money for piddly and otherwise harmless copyright infringement. They use scanning software to scan the internet looking for text/images they feel are being infringed upon so they can serve infringement notices and demand restitution (which typically ranges from $300 - $900) in exchange for being left alone.

It is literal legalized extortion and is emblematic of a system in desperate need of reform. I have a friend who went through this earlier in the year and has since settled. She unwittingly used an image of a horse she found on the internet on her website. This is what moderators and astute users are concerned about when it comes to posting more than just a link or brief verbatim summary from an article.

14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm a lawyer and I'm here to help...
    The second scariest thing... after Government.

Cheech9712, DEA, Revello and 3 others like this.
  15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Your posts about counterfeits are vital to keeping the hobby viable. Please don’t stop posting! There must be ways that you can post pictures of counterfeits and not infringe in their copyrights.

I would say shame on any hobby publication that objects to your posts about counterfeits. Exercising their copyright clauses are penny-wise and pound foolish. The future of the hobby and their publications are riding on the work that you and others do in combating the counterfeit menace.

16. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Though I know nothing of what transpired, I'm interpreting the line above as "I'm done here, thanks for the memories." If true, that's a great loss for this forum. Very sad.

Revello, Two Dogs, NOS and 1 other person like this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not at all. If they're your articles you can post them as much as you want because you own the copyright.

As for posting articles written by others, there is absolutely nothing wrong with posting links to them.

No need for that Jack. Anybody can make a honest mistake, and that's all that was done.

No need for that either. He was forgiven from the get-go.

Cheech9712, DEA, Stevearino and 4 others like this.
  18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I appreciate the honorable intent, but somehow posting your own submission just shouldn't be a problem, particularly after giving both the article and free publicity.

But I ran into that when purchasing a coin and posting the seller's photos of my new coin. I think they are limiting FAIR USE to the point of ignoring it's existence.

But they do that with patent extensions as well, preventing generics from competing far beyond the intended patent protection time. And also my genealogy which I submitted and allowed them to use is now restricted from me unless I pay a fee.

Something is terribly wrong with the way things now operate in reference to intellectual property rights, patent and copy-write laws.

Stevearino and NOS like this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Copyright is statutory. At least, here, it is. Only if the permission is in writing in the form of a waiver or assignment of copyright can it be reproduced. There's your legal answer. Practically-speaking, nobody is going to enforce it, unless there's money on the line.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Just as carts don't come before horses, attorneys don't come before clients. You omit the client in this overzealous condemnation. Put the client in, first, then add two and two and see if you get five, like you just did.

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I know about the legal arguments. My problem is with the abuse of the legal statutes inhibiting intellectual rights from making it into the public domain in a timely manner.

THAT is the point in which the society receives the greatest benefit.

Perhaps replace the right of exclusion with a fixed royalty on income producing use rather than a simple extension of exclusive licensing and use. Also revisit time limits on types of intellectual property in the modern environment. These are just off the top of my head, but the system seems broken to me.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted