My Last Order of 2020/First Arrival of 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It has taken nearly two months to arrive, and I will admit I was getting a little anxious. But now that it is here, I am pleased even though it has a flat strike on one end.
    P. Fonteius P.f. Capito.png
    P FONTEIUS P F CAPITO ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS FONTEIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: P FONTEIVS P F CAPITO III VIR, helmeted and draped bust of Mars right, trophy over shoulder
    REVERSE: MN FONT TR MIL , warrior on horseback thrusting his spear at a Gaulish enemy who is about to slay an unarmed third combatant, helmet and shield in lower right field
    Rome 55 BC
    3.87g, 19 mm
    Cr429/1; Syd 900; Fonteia 17

Post your combat scenes or other appropriate examples

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Limes

Limes Supporter! Supporter

That's a lovely coin Bing, the flatness in only a minor flaw in my opinion.

This is the only coin I have with a fighting scene (staged for the emperor of course ;-)) I've consigned it to severus alexander for the next AMCC auction by the way.
    18.1.png

eparch, Curtisimo, DonnaML and 10 others like this.
  4. Orielensis

Orielensis Supporter! Supporter

That's an attractive yet somewhat brutal Republican denarius. It reminds me of these well-known types:

Römische Republik – RRC 285:1, Denar, Sergius Silus, Reiter mit Kopf.png
    Roman Republic, moneyer: M. Sergius Silus, AR denarius, 116–115 BC, Rome mint. Obv: EX·S·C ROMA; helmeted head of Roma, r., denominational mark X. Rev: Q M·SERGI SILVS; one-armed horseman (Marcus Sergius Silus) l., holding sword and severed head in l. hand. 17mm, 2.84g. RRC RRC 286/1.

Rom – Constantius Gallus, AE2, Reitersturz, Konstantinopel.png
    Constantius Gallus, Roman Empire, AE2, 351–355 AD, Constantinople mint. Obv: DN FL CL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAE; bust of Constantius Gallus, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed, r. Ref: FEL TEMP REPARATIO; Roman soldier l. spearing fallen horseman; in in fields, Γ•; in exergue, CONSB. 24mm, 4.20g. Ref: RIC VIII Constantinople 107.

Rom – Magnetius, Gloria Romanorum, Reiter, Lugdunum.png
    Magnentius, Roman Empire, AE2, 350–353 AD, Lugdunum mint. Obv: DN MAGNENTIVS PF AVG, draped and cuirassed bust of Magnentius r,, A behind. Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM, rider galloping r., spearing barbarian with r. hand; below horse, shield and broken spear; barbarian kneeling, extending arms in front of horse; in exergue, RPLG. 20mm, 2,61g. Ref: RIC VIII Lugdunum 115.

5. Scipio

Scipio Well-Known Member

D74DDFC7-F101-4A28-8883-A06FBD008A7A.jpeg 9C0B1D0A-7710-4A18-B67F-C475ACFA44C8.jpeg 573E373D-E3B7-4203-8999-F43037A5A468.jpeg FDD6DF0D-4C55-4059-87D1-6FE10BC822AF.jpeg A nice add @Bing, not easy to find that complete!
    Here are my Fonteius Capito and Minucius Thermus battle scenes

6. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Bing......That's a great looking coin, well worth the wait..Nice movement on the reverse but I love the Mars portrait with that little bit of beard showing...Cool coin!
    No Roman battle scenes here but it was the same the world over...
    Silaharas of Khankan (1000-1200 AD) Anonymous AR Drachm 14.1 mm x 4.13 g
    Obverse: Stylized Sassanian Bust right. "Sri" in Brahmi behind head left field.
    Reverse: Stylized Horseman battle scene shows a mounted warrior with sword to right. Below a fallen body and to the right a standing figure defending himself
    with a shield. Behind the horse a bow., Sun in upper right field.
    ref: Mit. NIS 649-652
    sil2 (2).jpg

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

James, Nice score :D! I like coins with combat action scenes. The only one I have is the common LRB pictured below :(.

Cyzicus Mint, Officina 4.jpg
    Constantius II as Augustus, AD 337-361 (struck AD 351-351), Cyzicus Mint, 4th Officina. Billon Centenionalis: 24 mm, 5.27 gm, 6 h. Reverse: Roman soldier spearing a fallen horseman. RIC VIII, 92.

Curtisimo, DonnaML, Bing and 6 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE Supporter

Great Denarius, @Bing ! Super start to 2021.

Battle

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    42 BCE
    Moneyer: L Livineius Regulus (one of 4 Moneyers that year! A quattuorvirate - Julius Caesar had expanded the Moneyers office from 3 to 4)
    AR Denarius 3.7g, 19mm
    Obv: Bare head of the praetor L. Livineius Regulus right
    Rev: Gladiatorial scene; in foreground, one man attacks lion with spear; in back ground, second man with shield and sword attacks panther; on left, wounded boar; in exergue, L. REGVLVS
    Ref: Sear 489; Crawford 494/30; Syd. 1112
    Comment: bankers mark and scratch on obverse

Scipio, jdmKY, Curtisimo and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted