My journey to the ANA WORLD'S FAIR OF MONEY Philadelphia, PA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dwhiz, Aug 14, 2018.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Ok I took the SEPTA train, great deal for old folks like me. Only $1 each way. septa station.jpg septa wall.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

I got in a little early, went right to the US Mint area. I bought 2 2018-S PR ASE. 2018-S PR ASE 3.jpg

4. dwhiz

1861 Paquet 4.jpg 1792 h10c 1.jpg stella b.jpg I wondered over to the ANA display. WOW some nice coins there.

5. dwhiz

I even found a coin with a steam engine, but they didn't have a real live kangaroo,very disappointing. 3801 4.jpg

6. dwhiz

On the way out I stopped at the ANA booth to get the 2 medals, but they didn't arrive yet. So I placed an order may go back Saturday to get them

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  7. dwhiz

That's all Folks.
    Note all images taken with my phone.

8. dwhiz

How could I forget these.

9. MikeinWyo

MikeinWyo Member

I am new to the forum and have been collecting since 1996-1997 when I was 12-13. I like collecting Liberty head gold dollars, three cent nickels, bust coinage, shipwreck coins, silver bullion and junk silver, but would like to branch out.

I found this bust half in my price range at the show today. Sorry for the bad photos.

I really enjoyed the show. Wish I had had longer to browse. I always went to FUN when I lived in Orlando and I think that show might actually be larger than World's Fair of Money. I did notice a lot of younger people at the show today, which bodes well for the future of the hobby.

Attached Files:

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot, I blasted forgot that these bloody things went on sale today at the mint............Still available at this late hour folks. :)

Thanks 'D'. Good report. Wish I could have been there........

Santinidollar, dwhiz and MikeinWyo like this.
  11. MikeinWyo

MikeinWyo Member

I was examining my new coin with a super bright LED Maglight and noticed a couple small gouges/dings on my coin right near the center of the obverse. When I looked at the coin at the show, I, in my ignorance thought this bit of damage was Liberty's hair after wear had removed all but a bit of the hair in this area. Again, I now realize this is slight damage. For the experts here, do you think the coin would get a straight grade by PCGS or NGC if cracked out and resubmitted? (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/my-journey-to-the-ana-worlds-fair-of-money-philadelphia-pa.321745/)

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Ken, my man, I think those will be available for quite some time. Mine’s on the way.

green18 and dwhiz like this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm thinking the same thing, but everyone that wanted one, got one........

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I believe the FUN show is actually larger.

It is already straight graded. Why crack it out? If you want to resubmit it just leave it in the holdered. if you send it to PCGS and they downgrade it or detail it they will pay you compensation for the downgrade, and at NGC you can send it as a crossover. If it won't cross straight graded at at least the same grade they will send it back still in the PCGS holder. If you crack it and send it in you might get back a detail graded coin with no compensation. So if you want to resubmit leave it in the holder. Even if you want to send it to NHC and you think the PCGS slab would bias them against the coin, the WORST thing that could happen is you get the coin back still in the straight graded PCGS holder.

MikeinWyo likes this.
  15. MikeinWyo

MikeinWyo Member

Thank you for the input Condor. I am content with leaving it in its straight graded holder.

Interestingly, I was reading in a coin book that many capped bust halves from the early 1830s have "gouges" or "bite marks" near the center of the obverse due to an instrument used to retrieve the coin at the time of mintage. Granted, my coin isn't an early 1830s date, but the bit of damage my coin has sure looks like what is being described in the book.

I have decided that I am content with the coin, however, in the future, I will plan to spend more for a decent capped bust half.

16. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post and the photos!!! As close as I live, I couldn't free up enough time to go :( . Did you get a chance to check out the Foreign Mints?

Draft saved Draft deleted