My Italian coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I posted an example of each type of Italian coin I have as an album on my page. I only posted one side on most to save time. Check it out if you're interested.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I checked out your CT album of Italy coins. It's pretty neat. I like the coin with the lions drawing the chariot & the aluminum coin with Pegasus & the silver 5 lire coin depicting the eagle on faces. All are really neat coin designs IMO.

Did you know that the Roman numeral on some of these coins describe the year of Fascism in Italy?

4. Hiddendragon

The ones you mention are some of my favorites too.
    I remember reading that there were varieties with the Roman numerals on the same date coin being different. I have a few doubles so I need to check mine and see if I have both varieties.

5. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Nice lot. I like the 1927 5 Lire, especially.

6. Hiddendragon

Thanks, I just got that this week actually.

7. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Hidden, those are AWESOME coins! Many Italian coins are among my favorite designs of all time. :thumb: Keep the collection going!

A couple of my absolute favorites that you haven't pictured yet are:

1908R_Italy_20Centesimi_NGC_MS64_composite.jpg 1915_Italy_2Lire_NGC_MS65_composite.jpg

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Here 2 My grandpa gave me!

1873  5L obv.jpg 1873 5L rev.jpg 1927 Italy obv.jpg 1927 Italy rev-2.jpg

9. Hiddendragon

I do have some of the 20 centesimi, but don't have that 2 lire. I want to get one though because I really like that design.

10. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

ita1911.01.jpg ita1911.02.jpg I believe it is the finest known.

11. princeofwaldo

Note that this circulation struck coin has coin rotation unlike the 1911 commem which is medal rotation.
    ita1902c.jpg ita1902d.jpg

12. princeofwaldo

ita1902a.jpg ita1902b.jpg Grade is WAY off, easily an MS67.

13. princeofwaldo

ita1891c.jpg ita1891d.jpg Mintage of only 32,000 coins and yet only about $25 more than the 1882 of which 7 million were struck. If you see any of the Umberto 20 Lire coins from the 1890s they are typically a steal given their low mintage and small premium.

14. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Nice coin, that looks like a combination of the Washington Quarter reverse and the Mercury Dime Reverse!

15. princeofwaldo

Terrific year, 1861 being the year of Italian unification. The 1 cent is fairly common in mint state as it must have been saved. The 2 cent is a little more scarce. This example having some colorful tone splashed across the obverse.

ita1861a.jpg ita1861b.jpg

16. princeofwaldo

Mintage of 80,000,000 making it one of the most common world coins of the 19th century. Yet still a scarce coin in mint state as nearly all examples are below VF30.

ita1863.01.jpg ita1863.02.jpg

17. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

I found mein in the foreign junk bin. Apparently the shop keep considered it to be a copper coin because of it's red/gold colour.

18. princeofwaldo

A common mint state gold coin. Very pretty coin and only a couple hundred dollars even in MS63.

ita1863.03.jpg ita1863.04.jpg

19. princeofwaldo

Ken Krah, the vice president at NGC who heads up the world side of the grading room, said the unusual dounut or ring pattern of tone seen on many Italian coins (sometimes a dark dounut, sometimes a lighter color dounut) is related to how the planchets were prepared prior to striking.

ita1906a.jpg ita1906b.jpg ita1926a.jpg ita1926b.jpg

20. princeofwaldo

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The 50th anniversary coins are my favourite, I have the bronze and this:

[​IMG]

But not the silver yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted