My issue with TPGs red-brown (RB) designation on copper coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wxcoin, Aug 3, 2021.

1. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Very nice.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oh it's most definitely part of the price alright, but it's just as definitely not part of the grade !

Even the TPGs will confirm that for ya, and they have done so countless times ! More copper coins than you can count have been resubmitted because the color changed from RD to RB or BN. The numerical grade number stayed the same, only the color designation changed.

And that right there, is why they don't guarantee color anymore - but they DO guarantee the grade ! Because if they guaranteed color, then they'd have to pay for the price change when the color changed. And they know for a flat out fact they, nor you (anybody), cannot stop the color from changing because toning is inevitable.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I have not read the thread yet.

I don't know how I missed this thread until now. I'll post lots for members to think about this weekend.

For now two teasers:

1. Long ago, coins started out as red. As soon as they started to show brownish parts they were RB and that continued all the way down until the traces red still left in protected areas disappeared. Then they were brown. No wiggle room, very easy to get it right EVERY TIME. Then :( the late comers (successful professional dealers) at the newly established TPG$ put their mark on the designations with stupid floating percentages.

Like it or not, it is to the benefit of coin dealers and TPGS to make grading coins as difficult and complicated as they can with knowledge of the commercial value of the coin (AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME) a big factor. Unless you are actively in the market - you don't know squat what a coin's value ACTUALLY is!

2. Because there is no way to be precise about color and the demarcation %, ICG added a designation: BROWN-RED (BR) for coins that are more brown than red - probably considered at the lower end of the major TPGS RB designation. ;)

To be continued...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    differential and Penny Luster like this.
  6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Thanks for mentioning this as this is why I started the thread. I didn't realize that ICG has a BR designation.

Draft saved Draft deleted