Featured My Irish Scilling Collection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Clio, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Clio

Clio Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm new to the forums and just wanted to share my personal project I've been working on for the past year or so. I am collecting a fun short series of Irish coins specifically the silver Shillings. As far as circulating coinage there's only 10 pieces which makes the set that much more fun. I've tried other sets like the 7070 and found it to be overwhelming. As an added bonus these coins were very low mintages and they are a challenge to find in high grades. If anyone can point me to upgrades for the set please do!

Here's the set in it's current state.

[​IMG]

Not a high grade but a fun bit of toning. It actually looks much different in hand but PCGS couldn't quite find the right balance. A friend of mine has given his style a go and you can see the same coin here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This example hase been very recently upgraded with a nicer raw example. It is currently in route to my friend for photos and possible submission.

[​IMG]

This is an XF45 I subbed myself to PCGS. It wasn't really worth the sub but sometimes it's nice to have your things protected.

[​IMG]

This year is a tough one and I lost out on a nice MS example not long ago. For now this one will do. Strong strike and great bit of detail left on a hard to find date.

[​IMG]

This is currently the nicest example in my collection. MS64+ graded by PCGS. 35's can be a bit more common than 30-37 in nicer grades but it certainly doesn't detract from such a nice coin.

[​IMG]

This is the key date of the series and climbs to 1k+ in MS grades. No doubt it'll be a minute before I can find and save for a nice example. This one is off to PCGS for grading and I am hoping for a low AU grade.

[​IMG]

This coin is not nice haha. It's a common date so perhaps I'm neglecting it more for that reason but I'll pick one up when I see a nice one.

[​IMG]

AU55 graded by PCGS. I subbed this one as well knowing it was about that condition. I will no doubt be looking for an upgrade in the future.

[​IMG]

I have actually sold this example and subbed a more recent example I think is nicer. However it's not graded yet so I'm sharing this recent one anyways. MS64 by PCGS.

I hope you enjoyed that a bit and I look forward to spending a bit of time on the forums.

Cheers!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Very attractive set!

lordmarcovan and Clio like this.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Nice set. I have always liked this series. The 1/2 Crowns are nice also.

lordmarcovan and Clio like this.
  5. Clio

Clio Well-Known Member

Thanks! I will be sure to share my other Irish silver as well in the future.

lordmarcovan and Nathan401 like this.
  6. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Welcome! Just out of curiosity, you're not the Clio that is famous (infamous) for snagging ancient coins in auctions, mentioned so often here on CT?

Steve

ominus1 and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. Clio

Clio Well-Known Member

If I was I'd have much nicer coins haha. No my name comes from a town in south Alabama. I may change the spelling just to avoid that confusion since I have heard of him before.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Stevearino

Yeah, might be a good idea :hilarious: . There could be a bit of prejudicial feelings right out of the gate from CT members who have been "Clio-ed."

Steve

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

10. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I really like your Irish Scillings! I went to Ireland last year on a pilgrimage and picked up some cool coins while there. I only have 2 Scillings, 1962 & 1964 but they are Cu-Ni. I have a good many other Irish coins and I keep them in my Foreign Album. I just pulled the album out to take a look and remember my trip there. Speaking or Ireland, the wife and I are going to see Celtic Woman in concert next week. Just love everything about Ireland, especially the music!

lordmarcovan and Stevearino like this.
  11. Clio

Clio Well-Known Member

I do as well! Check out Kate Rusby and The High Kings if you haven't. I got to see the high kings in concert but missed out on Kate Rusby.

I have indeed! Unfortunately I just couldn't get behind non silver issues. I still have a few neat examples left I'll share later though.

Hmmmmm looking like I can't edit my name anymore? :/ may be out of luck.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

lordmarcovan and sonlarson like this.
  13. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

You have nice coins. A few years ago I decided to complete a modern Irish set since the coins were only issued from 1928 to 2000 and not even every year. Besides the few really rare coins I have them all, but mine are mostly not high grades like yours.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Stevearino

That's OK. On second thought, the "real" ancient coin Clio wouldn't come out and reveal him/herself. I think you're safe :) .

lordmarcovan and Paul M. like this.
  15. Clio

Clio Well-Known Member

Do you have any photos of them? I would love to see them.

Also going to tag @jackrabb1t since his Scilling he shared recently inspired me.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Not good photos. And your coins put mine to shame.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Same here. Still looking for that 1943 half crown...

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. jackrabb1t

jackrabb1t Well-Known Member

@Clio you've got a very nice collection there. And you're right, collecting Irish silver is very challenging. The mintages were low and virtually nobody saved any of them in period. Mint state examples are very rare. That makes finding a nice coin all the more rewarding. :)

I'll share some of mine. I don't have great pictures for some of them.

1928, NGC MS-65
    Mintage: 2,700,000
    Easily the highest mintage of any silver shilling. Fairly easy to find nice examples because it was the first year of issue and people tended to save some. They still do not come up for sale too often, however.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1928 Proof, PCGS PR-65
    Mintage: 6,001
    Difficult to find these 1928 proofs above 65.
    [​IMG]

1933, PCGS MS-63
    Mintage: 300,000
    [​IMG]

1935, PCGS MS-66
    Mintage: 400,000
    And here's the 1935 I posted the other day. I have this coin in hand and it is even better than the picture.
    [​IMG]

1939, NGC MS-64
    Mintage: 1,140,000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1940, NGC MS-65
    Mintage: 580,000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1942, PCGS MS-65+
    Mintage: 286,000
    Coins from 1942 are relatively plentiful in mint state, despite what the mintage number may indicate. I've been told this is because many were brought home as souvenirs by visiting soldiers during the war. I fell in love with the toning on the coin below the moment I saw it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  19. Clio

Clio Well-Known Member

Gorgeous examples man. I need to catch up haha. I especially like your proof. I do have one myself but it's not particularly nice. PR64 by PCGS

[​IMG]

Anyways thanks for sharing! Beauties the lot of them!

TheFinn, kaparthy, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  20. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Great collection to be proud of :) thank you for sharing.

lordmarcovan and Paddy54 like this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I like the 30

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted