My Icelandic 1940 Proof Set

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Iceman57, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

Hi everyone
    I just wanted to share a very rare set of Icelandic proof coins...or should I say brag about my 1940 proof set.
    There is no mintage records for these proof coins or any of the proof coins from 1940 to 1963. There are only two years ,,,The 1940 and 1946 set that had all the coins,,1 eyrir, 2, 5, 10 and 25 Aurars minted in proof....The other years they would only mint the coins as needed so you would ,,,Say only have a 1953 1 Eyrir and a 1953 10 Aurar minted for that year and in so doing that, They minted exsamples of them in proof as well and this went on until 1963. Now it is beleived that they only minted about 10 +/- proof coins for each type when they did strike coins for circulation and these coins were only given to the UK branch mints as well as VIP's in Iceland. The rarist of the proof coins from this period is the 1961 500 Kronur proof which there are only 3 known and Siggi Palma a member here on CoinTalk has the thrid one ....You Lucky !!!!! son of a gun. Well I must say that he had help me aquire a few of the proof's I have now.

HPIM1584.JPG HPIM1588.JPG
    The 1E, 2, 5 Aurar's have a real nice rainbow toning and the 10 and 25 Aurar's are in Cameo I'm going to someday send them back to NGC to have them put in to there new side view holders,,,I hate this multi coin holders.
    Well I hope you enjoyed the pictures.
    Gudni

KurtS, Siberian Man, Aidan_() and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Very nice set. I mainly collect US coins but I really enjoy the posts from you siggi and a few others containing beautiful foreign(to me) coins.
    Thank you

4. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

VERY nice. Where did you get them?

5. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

Agreed!
    there are some beautiful coins out there. I love checking out siggi's, your's and a few others posts. I really want to pick up a couple Icelandic coins.

Thanks for posting them!

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nice set Iceman. You and Siggi do much to raise my interest in Icelandic coinage. :)

7. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

Thank You ....USMoneylover

Thank you Lupinus911
    I bidded on them at a Stack's Auction, I got them at a very good price too.

Thank you 1066merlin .... edited

And Thank You too green18....We try ...Well at least you didn't call me a old fellow this time.....LOL

Gudni

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The threads still open. I still possibly could.....:)

9. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

OH Noooo :eek:.....I had to open my big mouth......LOL

10. coin-coholic

coin-coholic New Member

hi Iceman,
    I also have this set and the 1946 set and a few other Iceland proofs. edited
    regards, coin-coholic.

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Way cool!!!

I just happened to find a couple 1958 PR 10e in my collection not long back. I always used to snap up all Gems and these were mistaken as BU's by me and the seller at the time. They cost a couple bucks.

Iceman57 likes this.
  12. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

Hi coin-coholic thats very cool where in the world did you find the 1940 and 1946 set I have tracked the 40 set for years now and I thought i knew where all of them where at edited

13. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

Hi Cladking its been a long time how are you... do you have any pic of your 58 10 Aurar ...I would love to see them.

14. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Hi; Been around a little. ...busy.

No, no pics and I put them in a safety deposit box so now they'll be hard to find, too. I think they're proofs because they are so reflective, well struck, and have very square rims. If memory serves mintage was only a couple hundred on these but they sure don't have the rarity of the '40 set.

15. coin-coholic

coin-coholic New Member

hi Iceman, I have been collecting these Iceland proofs for quite some time too and happened to stumble upon them once in a while. I don't have the 25 Aurar 1954 yet. edited I have only a few doubles: 1 Eyrir and 10 Aurar 1946, 5 Aurar 1963 and 2 Kronur 1962. edited

16. coin-coholic

coin-coholic New Member

edited

17. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Nice set Iceman. I collect business strikes of Iceland coins. My collection is pretty much complete except for the 2000 Krona and 1966 2 Kronur thick planchet.

Iceman57 likes this.
  18. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I wish NGC still slabbed sets that way. I have a nice set of the Greek 1967 revolution commems, both the gold and silver issues, they would look pretty cool in a multi-coin holder. Kind of agree that the Iceland coins are too small for the holder, they kind of get lost in the thing.

Iceman57 likes this.
  19. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Well done Siggi!!! I've always enjoyed your posts on Icelandic coins. I think their issues are marvelous and I try to collect them when I can.

Iceman57 likes this.
  20. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Very nice set Iceman, do you think you can get some close ups on the coins?

Iceman57 likes this.
  21. Iceman57

Iceman57 Junior Member

LOL......Thats a first jiblonde.....I'm not Siggi I'm Guðni or Tony as people here in the U.S. call me. No offence taken.

Draft saved Draft deleted