My Humble Top 10 of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bradley Trotter, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

For me, 2020 was actually the first year I've actively collected ancient coins. My selections are by no means anything exotic, beautiful, or extremely rare, but rather the foundations for a growing collection. Needless to say, collecting ancient coins is a field of numismatics that I've grown quite fond of in the past year. Despite the brevity of my post, I'd like to offer a special thanks to the members of the Cointalk Ancient Coins forum for sparking my interest in ancient coins.

Gratian VOT XX Follis.jpg

Gratian

Bronze Ae 4

383 – 388 A.D.

Obverse: D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG; pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: VOT XX MVLT XXX surrounded by laurel wreath

In ex. SM[??]

Heraclea?

Ex-Dattari

Antoninius Pius As 148 AD.jpg

Antoninus Pius

Ae As, Rome ninth century celebration

148 – 149 A.D.

Obverse: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XII; laureate head right

Reverse: MVNIFICENTIA AVG COS IIII S-C; Munificentia standing left, holding wreath and sceptre: at feet; lion.

RIC IV Rome 861

Nero AS Combined.jpg

Nero

Ae As

65 A.D.

Obverse: NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P, laureate head right.

Reverse: S-C, Victory flying left with shield inscribed SPQR.

Rome

Diameter: 26.0 mm

Weight: 9.16g

RIC 314, Sear 1976

Gallienus I AR Antoninianus.jpg

Gallienus

Antoninianus

260 – 268 A.D.

Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right

Reverse: VIRTVS AVGVIRTVS AVG, Virtus standing left, resting hand on shield and holding spear.

Milan

Diameter: 19.4 mm

Weight 2.37g

RIC 534

Lucius Verus Denarius Combined.jpg

Lucius Verus

AR Denarius

161-162 A.D.

Obverse: IMP L AVREL VERVS AVG, bare head right.

Reverse: PROV DEOR TR P II COS II, Providentia holding globe and cornucopiae.

Rome

Diameter: 18.05 mm

Weight: 3.14g

RIC 482

M. Aurelius Denarius Combined..jpg

Marcus Aurelius

AR Denarius

163 A.D.

Obverse: IMP M ANTONINVS AVG, bare head right.

Reverse: PROV DEOR TR P XVII COS III, Providentia standing left, holding globe and cornucopiae.

RIC 70

Severus Alexander Dernarius.jpg

Severus Alexander

AR Denarius

222 – 228 A.D.

Obverse: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG; laureate and draped bust right.

Reverse: PAX AETERNA AVG; Pax, draped, standing left, holding olive-branch in right hand and sceptre in left hand.

RIC IV Rome 165

Vespasian Denarius 70 AD.jpg

Vespasian

AR Denarius

70 – 72 A.D.

Obverse: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M; Laureate head right.

Reverse: TRI POT II COS III P P; Pax seated left, holding branch and caduceus

RIC II Rome 39

M. Aurelius Sestertius Combined.jpg

Marcus Aurelius

Sestertius

177 – 178 A.D.

Obverse: M AVREL ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXXII, laureate head right.

Reverse: IMP VIIII COS III PP SC, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae.

RIC 1230

Antoninius Pius Denarius 144 AD.jpg

Antoninus Pius

AR Denarius

144 A.D.

Obverse: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III; laureate head right.

Reverse: ANNONA AVG; Modius with four-grain ears and a poppy.

RIC III 62a

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like the Nero. I only have a provincial of him. And it doesn't have Victory.
    Your coin is a def win in my book.
    Thanks for sharing!

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You are off to a great start/ nice coins to boot! I think you will be hooked for life/ not a bad thing:)
    John

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That’s a nice selection from a lot of different imperial periods. Researching each of those coins could be like an entire course in Roman history.

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..lQQks like a great start to me....i am a big fan of Nero/Victory As's meself! :)

furryfrog02, Ryro and Bradley Trotter like this.
  7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Bradley, You've got an interesting variety of coins, & as Galvin suggests, these coins should provide an endless amount of study :D. Judging from your layout & the accurate research you've done, you take collecting seriously ;). Given more time, you'll probably narrow your focus to a certain period or type of coin to collect. What interests you the most about ancient coins & where are you acquiring your coins from o_O? Are you employed or still going to school ?

DonnaML and Bradley Trotter like this.
  8. Bradley Trotter

Most of these coins were already attributed when I acquired them. Although Wildwinds has proven extremely helpful for those that weren’t attributed already. However, when it comes to ancient coins, I’d certainly say I’m gravitating towards 3rd-century coins and Nerva-Antonine issues. So far, though, I’ve acquired most of my coins from online sources, while half of my top ten came from Victor’s Imperial Coins. I’m also a college sophomore, so I don’t exactly have the most expansive budget.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Theodosius, thejewk, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I like your gallienus! Lovely skinny face

10. Bradley Trotter

I’m quite fond of that coin. I was particularly drawn to its crude portrait, which is quite indicative of the overall circumstances of the latter half of the 3rd century.

11. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Excellent selection and you seem to have a good eye. I’d be comfortable with SMHB and attributing the Gratian as from Heraclea without the ? mark (RIC 20a).

Your number 1 would be my first choice, but I am partial to a story-telling copper As like your Pius as well.

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice selection of coins

You made the right choice early on...buy from respected and trusted sources. You cannot do any better than Victor. He is a valued member of this online community.

13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins, especially for a starter collection, keep up the good buying. Really like your Pius Modius Denarius. Congrats.

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Yes, great selection after only one year of collecting and on a very limited (my guess) budget.

The Galienus and its somewhat astonished portrait : "What ? me ?, you mean, my face, on a coin ? nooooo !!"

The Nero as and the thousands hands that have hold it, and all the stories going with

Are the two that talk to me the most
    Go on, you're in the right direction

Q

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Welcome to the club! I like the MA and Verus denarius the best. They're nice examples with the sort of even circulation wear that speaks to their use as functional currency of the day. That flattened face Gallienus is great though. :D

16. Bradley Trotter

I think I only paid about $30 for those two coins @zumbly.

It's just one of the "perks" of being a college student. Unlike my college peers, I'd much rather spend my excess money on coins rather than the newest and greatest iPhone or designer goods. Besides, I'd much rather have something that's lasted thousands of years than something that will crap out on me in 24 months.

DonnaML likes this.
  17. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Nice selection for your first year, plenty of interest in what you've picked. I think the Lucius Verus denarius is my favourite, and something I'm currently lacking. Here's to a good 2021.

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

19. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

That's a much better first year of collecting ancients than I had back then!

Also, the Modigliani-Gallienus deserves extra credit for the extravagant elongated portrait style. A coin I really like.

20. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Congrats, Bradley!
    Also a new starter here.
    I like your coins, I think the wear is acceptable for all of them.
    I wouldnt't mind them in my albums!
    Of course I like coins in mint condition, but I don't mind at all seeing (and buying) coins with honest wear, but still beautiful and easy to be attributed.

I like your #8 and #6 (funny thing is that I have them in my collection as well, same RIC numbers) and #1.

21. Bradley Trotter

Admittedly my photography skills aren't the best. However, this Faustina I denarius deserves an honorable mention. In hand, it is a beautiful coin with excellent detail, surfaces, and high relief. It would've been in the #3 spot if it wasn't an absolute pain to photograph.

Faustina Denarius Combined.jpg
    Faustina I
    AR Denarius
    After 141 A.D.
    Obverse: DIVA FAVSTINA; draped bust right.
    Reverse: AVGVSTA; Juno standing right, holding sceptre and lowering left hand.
    Rome
    RIC III 364

Draft saved Draft deleted