My Haul Today

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by FmrFiatFollower, Feb 12, 2012.

1. It makes you wonder the mind set the person from whom you bought it was in.
    He could have sold the silver for melt and got more than you paid and gave the rest to newbys.
    Must have been really pushed for cash.
    From your pics he had a lot of time and money in the coin books to hold the coins not to mention the time spent putting it togeather.
    Regardless nice find on your part.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FmrFiatFollower

FmrFiatFollower Note-orious & Numismatic

Yes to all, I have decided to sell the collection with the exception of two 1950-D nickels as those have long been holes in my books, two coronets and some nice wheat cents that were AU-BU. I have left everything else in the collection...I have a chance to buy a nice collection of U.S. coins and am putting the money towards this collection. Although I'm sure when it's gone I will regret it.

The woman who sold me this collection had spent the past 3 months pricing and grading all the coins, she was well aware of the value they held, she gave me an itemized report of each coin and the binders all have running totals that all together totaled $7700! She was selling off anything of value in her father's estate because she was forced to cover his burial costs. Apparently the life insurance agent cared more about lining his pockets than he cared about making sure this gentleman got a life policy that would actually pay out when he expired (I was an insurance agent for 7 years and this bothers me to no end). She drove the conversation when it came to price, and I was happy to get a deal. I have bought some minerals and gemstones from her in the past and treated her well so I was happy to see the favor returned. It's not every day that deals like this come along.

Caskaboom - the paper money that I have looked at so far is silver certificates, occupied Japanese Pesos and Centavos, Russian notes, and a slew of Nazi Germany 100 Reich banknotes.

4. FmrFiatFollower

Hey Kookoox10: It would have been nice to have help moving them in, a handcart would have been useful...these weigh quite a bit!

I have finally finished sorting through the coins. There were two that I was certain were gold when I originally looked at them, but I was wrong. There were a few pieces I hadn't had much experience with but I think they are really interesting - Philippines coins minted in the U.S. during the occupation. I'm sure all of you seasoned collectors have seen these often but my first look was a "double take" as it surprised me to United States of America on a foreign coin.

5. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Oddly, all my favorite countries' notes. Are the notes USSR?

6. FmrFiatFollower

Yes, the notes are all USSR notes.

7. FmrFiatFollower

I have gone back through the coins another 3 times now and have found another 22 ounces of silver, different purity levels from 40%-92.5.

I have kicked around the idea of taking these off the market for a few days and have finally decided NOT to sell them. The more I look through them, the more I realize how amazing this collection is, and although I normally collect U.S. coinage these have really piqued my interest in foreign coins.

One question I have, that I'm hoping someone can answer: One of the binders is full of coins from Gibraltar, Isle of Man, New Zealand, Great Britain and Tristan they are all dollar sized coins and some appear to be silver but I'm not certain. The Krause Standard Coin Catalog lists variations of each coin in curpo-nickel, silver and a silver proof. The weight is identical for both the silver and the cupro-nickel clad. How can I tell if they're silver if they all weigh the same? I don't want to damage the coins as they are all uncirculated. These are 1970's-1980's Crowns.

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

9. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Being an ex insurance agent I think you would know that you make the most from Life Insurance so do you really think that the agent was trying to "line his pockets" by NOT selling more insurance? So that makes NO sense to me.
    Especially coming from the guy that just paid $500 for $8k in stuff and just found 22 extra ounces. lol

But congrates on the find. I hope you don't sell it as I think over time you will like having the collection over time more and more.

10. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Well silver coins will have unlike luster to it that cupro nicket will not have, also Silver coins will make unlike ringing noise.

11. FmrFiatFollower

Hey, Duke:
    The insurance agent certainly sold him a lot of insurance, what he didn't do was understand his client well enough to really determine the kind of policy he really needed. He issued him a policy with exclusions that, in this case, prohibited a payout. He drove semi trucks nationwide and his policy excluded car accidents...tough break.

Thanks for the advice, I just cannot justify selling it when I know it will bring enjoyment for years to come...It was the most conflicted I have felt about selling something so I felt it would be better to just hold onto it.

12. FmrFiatFollower

13. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Simply amazing...GOOD catch!

Any South Korean coins there?

15. FmrFiatFollower

Ozelck77 - I will get you a list this week.

mlov43 - I will get you a list as well, and thanks, I wish I could call this a catch, it kind of fell into my lap.

16. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

That is a nice haul of coins for the price you paid. I would be happy too going through all those stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted