My Grandfather gave me Morgans.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Returning to yesteryear when I was young in the 1950's, my Grandfather would give me a Morgan Silver Dollar each time we visited. He told me the coins would be worth a lot of money when I was ready for college. He was an avid Morgan Collector and had a large collection. When he passed away suddenly, my Grandmother began selling his coins to support herself. She was savvy enough to contact a fellow collector friend of my Grandfather and with his guidance, was able to sell the coins at reasonable prices.
    A year after my Grandfather's passing, I gathered the Morgans he had given me and on the next visit to my Grandmother's, I placed them on the bottom of the large case where he had stored them. My Grandmother never said a word about the coins, but I knew she knew what I had done because on every visit, she would bake an apple pie just for me. I am happy to say the coins I placed in the chest allowed her to not have to take a job. When she passed away many years ago, she left me a letter thanking me for returning the Morgans my Grandfather had given me.
    The coins were individually wrapped in waxed paper, fitted into a small envelope and "Very shiny". I knew nothing about coins at my young age and still feel the same way.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Well no pictures of course... just kidding...

so was there anything left of you grandfathers collect after your grandmother passed...

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. Robert Ransom

50 V nickels which I have kept in a vault and never looked at since I received them. I have written a letter for the person who will inherit them.

Mike185 and Timewarp like this.
  5. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

it’s alway a good thing to hold on to something of your loved ones. I would have done the same lock them up.... go though them when the time is right but of course never get rid of them.... my grandfather was a collector of clocks he had hundreds of them everywhere!!! You couldn’t see the color of paint on the walls. He gave me one of the for a birthday gift (a week after) because he forgot Still have it now. But what is sad his house caught fire in the middle of the night him and his dog never made it out.... so the $800 clock is priceless to me.....

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. Robert Ransom

Very sad, sorry. Thanks for the post.

Mike185 likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I love stories like this. When the Great American Coin Hunt was underway, I left buffalo nickels at school entrances, on the cereal isle at the supermarket and the toy isle at Walmart. I knew I would never hear about the joy a kid may have gotten from finding them... And that was just fine..... I have turned my teenage grandson into an avid coin junkie. Last week when I visited I quietly snuck out his surprisingly full coin chest and deposited several Morgan’s and ancients in the box. Looking forward to the day he discovers what the tooth fairy left in his coin chest!

8. Robert Ransom

You are a class act Randy.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Great heart warming story, best one in awhile! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted