my fun is gone

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ro1974, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

My fun is gone,

I am think of stop collecting coins, I am very pleased that my first coin I bought is fake.
    Well look at more acquisitions to you, I am stay on the forum.
    My last picture of my new purchase

galba02.jpg
    ] galba01.jpg

greeting to my coin mates

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Sorry about the coin. I know you discouraged but don't quit, just change how you collect.

4. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Zou niet opgeven om een kleine tegenslag ! Een van de kenmerken van de serieuze verzamelaar is dat hij steeds met kleine stapjes blijft leren. Juist ook van de negatieve ervaringen die af en toe voorbijkomen !

(Some encouragement may work better in one's native tongue)

5. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Good idea, i shall keep that in my mind

alde likes this.
  6. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

fourth or fifth wrong purchase mabye more who knows mabye more.

DUSITN HADDOCK likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Fakes are devastating, I understand. We've all been stung, more than once. But one should take fakes as a learning opportunity. Don't forget the satisfaction of numismatics and collecting just because of a few fakes. Don't let deception and malice win - keep fighting the good fight.

Muzyck, fish4uinmd, Paul M. and 8 others like this.
  8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Ro, do not let this keep you from the beautiful hobby of ancient coin collecting!

It is probably a good idea to stop buying for a while - give it some time.

I bought quite a few fakes when I first started collecting roman coins. This is part of the learning. It happens to most of us.

Also, try to return the coin if you can - serious sellers (for example auction houses)
    have some obligation to take the coin back if it is proven to be not as described or counterfeits.

Don't give up!
    :):)

mcwyler, Paul M., green18 and 9 others like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I personally would hate to see you stop collecting. Like others have said, rather than quitting the hobby all together, think how you might change your collecting strategy to lessen your chances of being duped. But, if you have made up your mind, I wish you the best at whatever you decide to do.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

There are 3 types of collectors; those who have purchased fakes, those who will purchase fakes, and those that are liars. (I've seen this posted on elsewhere on Coin Talk)

Cucumbor, Paul M., green18 and 13 others like this.
  11. alde

alde Always Learning

I have recently found a couple of my coins to be fake. It sure hurts but it just made me want to be a more educated collector and learn from my mistakes. I am careful now to only buy from dealers I trust and who will stand by the coins and am learning how to better spot a fake. This is a wonderful hobby. Please don't give up.

12. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

s1673.jpg
    Elsewhere on this site, folks are posting pictures of their Mesembria coins. I can't post mine, because it is a fake, purchased 13 years ago.

The fourth coin I bought was also a fake. It is now featured on a web site listing counterfeit Apollonia Pontika drachms.

I felt angry and foolish after buying this coin. Instead of changing hobbies I decided to become skilled in forgery detection.

13. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Thanks all:happy:

gregarious likes this.
  14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with others. ALL ancient coin collectors have bought fakes. If an ancient collector tells you they have never bought a fake it means s/he does not yet know which in their collection is fake.

Ancient collectors are a different breed. Sure we have bits of metal, but in reality we collect knowledge. We all know more about the ancient world and the ancient economy than 99.999% of the population. Coins are our gateway into that world. So, try to educate yourself about coins, try to buy authentic coins when possible, but always remember its the enjoyment and knowledge we really collect.

Hang in there @ro1974 :)

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I believe that could fit all one type.

gregarious, Curtisimo and alde like this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I have never purchased a fake coin

1pcs-lot-Cosplay-Witch-Long-font-b-Nose-b-font-Party-Props-For-Halloween-Costume-Accessory.jpg

Oops!

17. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Sorry about the coin, RO. I know it can be discouraging and I always hate to see doubts about a coin someone is proud of.

I purchased a coin earlier this month that I was very excited about and was looking forward to sharing here only to realize as soon as I looked at it in-hand that it appeared to have possibly been altered either because of overzealous cleaning or potentially to make it appear to be a rare variant. Less 24 hours later I was packaging it up to be sent back after consulting with experts and deciding that while there was no consensus, I would never be comfortable with that coin, nor would I ever be comfortable selling it to another collector. I really hate sending it back and that I didn't spot those signs earlier but it was a learning experience and luckily I purchased it from a good dealer who didn't give me any problems when I asked to return it and explained my reasons.

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Personally I have been stung with a few fakes. Some that I bought so long ago, that I could not return them. I have kept them all, and keep them in my albums beside all my good coins. They are there as a reminder, a lesson, and a warning to myself. I have subsequently reminded to be careful, to DO MY RESEARCH, and to rely my coin-friends for help, advice, and guidance. Sometimes, I may not ask direct questions, but constantly read, review other people's posted experiences, and research. I feel that I have been greatly ENRICHED by these devastating fakes that I have experienced!

Paul M., alde, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

It seems that everyone on here has purchased fakes at one point or the other (including me :(). Do you find that most of the fakes you have purchased have been from unknown sellers (such as eBay) or from reputable auction houses or venues (such as Vcoins)? I'm curious to know how often people have been bit by a trusted and reputable venue. Even the good folks make mistakes which is only natural.

I'm not asking to discourage I'm just curious.

...and hang in there @ro1974. The pain of buying a fake is nothing compared to the joy of owning a piece of history :)

Paul M., Alegandron, alde and 2 others like this.
  20. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

21. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

412_812a_c.jpg Galba01.jpg galab02.jpg those comes closer to the vendor pics

Draft saved Draft deleted