My FSR Auction Win

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 10, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I recently partook in my first auction of Franks. Usually, I stick to world coin lists & cheap or unsold lots.

This particular coin caught my eye as I didn't know it was a type that existed. They seem to be fairly common but everywhere I looked they seemed expensive for me. So I sent I bid and ended up winning it just a few dollars under.

I have a great interest in anything of Christopher Columbus & Napoleon. They are the 2 historical figures that I took an interest in during my school years & got me into history.

I was happy with getting a Spanish 2 reales of Ferdinand & Isabella & a Napoleon 5 francs several years ago. This particular coin is just a nice addition to the Christopher Columbus side.

[​IMG]
    Ferdinando I (Don Ferrante). (1458 - 1494 A.D.)
    ITALY, Napoli (Regno)
    AR Coronato
    Third Coinage, Class 2.
    O: FRDINANDVS D G R SICI IER V, cross potent; annulet and double annulet stops.
    R: CORONATVS QA LEGITIME CERTA, crowned bust right; annulet and double annulet stops. C to left.
    Napoli (Naples) mint. Struck 1472-1488
    2.59g
    25mm
    CNI XIX 348/347 (obv./rev.); cf. Pannuti-Riccio 16b (for type); MIR 68/16; cf. MEC 14, 981-2 (same)

eparch, TuckHard, Orfew and 29 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is a cool coin, and a neat cross-section of History. I am really drawn to the cross... different. Congrats on the find!

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Neat coin. I bid on just two coins at first, and forgot to give him more bids later. I do not know if I won anything.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suspect Frank has fewer bids for these modern coins since his stock on his ancient auctions tends to be more ancient. It is an interesting coin. My only Ferdinand (Fernandus) and Isabella (Ysabella) coins are the small blanca. While not usually even slightly pretty, the coins have crowned monograms on each side for each ruler. I looked at several before buying these so you can imagine how terrible the rejects were. Finding one with complete legends may be hard.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bla...mg&ei=Eia4XvTDAYXt_Abz-5WgDA&bih=571&biw=1120
    v00020bb2507.jpg v00030bb2513.jpg

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I owned one several years ago but sold it to @Alegandron when I got my AR 2 Reales.

[​IMG]
    Ferdinand & Isabella (1469 - 1504)
    SPAIN Castile & Leon (Castilla y Leon)
    AR 2 Reales
    FERDANDVS : ET : HELISABET : D :
    Crowned shield of arms breaking inner beaded circle.
    + : REX : ET REGINA : CAST : LEGIO : ARAGON
    Bow and arrows within beaded inner circle
    Granada Mint.
29mm
    6.80g.
    Cayon 2622

7. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I also have a bronze of Ferdinand and Isabella:
    Ferdinand and Isabella.jpg

TuckHard, randygeki, TheRed and 6 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

FERD and YZZY

This is the exact coin that Columbus carried around in his pocket when he discovered the Americas. He had this as a pocket piece for many years until he got mugged in a back alley somewhere on Hispaniola. It was passed down through my family for many generations, until someone put it up for sale, and @Mat captured it. I was so lucky when Mat offered it to me.

:)

Oh, wait. That is not true. But I still got the coin!
    upload_2020-5-10_17-5-59.png
    SPAIN.
    Ferdinand and Isabella,
    AE Blanca. (17mm, 1.46g)
    Mint: Granada, 1469-1504 AD.
    Obv: Crowned F
    Rev: Crowned Y.
    Ref: Cayon 2390

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    TuckHard, randygeki, TheRed and 6 others like this.
  9. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

Excellent piece @Mat! Like Doug, I typically only see the small bronzes with castle/monograms. This is a nice piece and I imagine I should go a little further in Frank’s Auctions just to see what is lying about.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Well, I feel better. Finally got a letter from Frank. Got one of the two I bid on, the better one so I am happy. It's a nice aVF Class E anonymous follis.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

That's good, I ended up with 2 out of 4. I raised my bids on the two I won until I was comfortably ahead. On the two I lost I advised Frank that I was out of the running (super increase in the bid amount in the last couple of hours).

12. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on the win @Mat that is a really nice coin. As others have said, the cross on the reverse is really attractive.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

That's a neat one too!

14. paul weston

paul weston New Member

15. paul weston

paul weston New Member

Hi, just wondering how much it cost you because i have a 2 reales, well the same coin but imho better condition. [Edited- Rule 3A] i hope you see this post and reply thanks paul

16. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

FerdinandIsabella4RealesSeville.jpg
    SPAIN. Ferdinand and Isabella. 1469-1504 AD. AR 4 Reales (13.19 gm). ND. Seville mint. Obv: Crowned coat of arms. Rev: Yoke with traces and sheaf of six arrows. Cayon-2814.

Draft saved Draft deleted