My Five Favorite Coins for 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Many thanks to everyone for the kind words :D! The world of ancient coins is vast & unlimited. There are coins to fit the most frugal budget & those with unlimited funds. I get as much pleasure locating an interesting "junk box" find as I do shelling out a lot of money for an expensive coin :shame:. We've been getting buried in snow here in Upstate NY :mad:. I'm expecting packages tomorrow (some coins too :p) so I'll hit the sack early tonight & clear the driveway & shovel my walkway to the front door early in the morning making it easier for the delivery people :).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

But.....I would rather have held onto 50 or so mint state aurei/ denarii (circa 280AD) then today, 50 of our $100 bills that are God awfull . Today Canadian currency is not worth collecting/ back in 1935 it was beautifull to look at. Back to your point the Roman aurei went from 8.5g. to 5.4g/ the AR denarii was debased to billon/ just like their client state in the Bosphorus region. Today it takes 100-150 Canadian $100 bills to get the cheapest aureus:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Superb coins! I like the Valerian hexassarion.

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coins @Al Kowsky . I like the owl and the Heraclius solidus the best out of the bunch.

6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

You picked 5 special coins. The owl gets my #1 vote.

7. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

hi @Al Kowsky i know you will appreciate this just got it in the mail Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.10.14 PM.png

Johndakerftw, Bing and akeady like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fantastic coins for your collection!

9. Al Kowsky

Svarog, Congratulations on your score :D! I was bidding on the same coin in the Heritage auction on November 28 :jawdrop:. If I didn't have 7 choice Tets of Philip II already I would have pushed the bidding higher :smuggrin:. The portrait on this coin has been superbly engraved ;).
    Philip II, McAlee 1017.jpg

10. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Good thing you didn’t..
    Can you share at lest 4-5 of your choice examples here?

11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I like Athenian Owl.

12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

You did well picking up that nice set of coins.

I like the Byzantine and the Valerian. That is a great reverse type.

John

13. Al Kowsky

Here are 4 of my favorites :D.

IMG_6125.JPG
    This coin is an extremely rare hybrid, & to my knowledge the only one in existence.
    Philip II as Caesar (2).jpg Philip II (2).jpg

NGC 4278563-002, McAlee 1064c, obv. (2).jpg
    McAlee 1064c, Prieur 492. Very Rare
    McAlee 1064c, Prieur 492.jpg
    4390385.jpg Antioch, Syria, Philip II, Struck AD 248-249, Billon tetradrachm: 12.42 gm, 26 mm, 12 h. McAlee 1044a (this coin illustrated), Ex Michel Prieur collection. Scarce.

IMG_6135.JPG Philip II as Augstus, Prieur 470, McAlee 1054.jpg Philip II, rev. of Prieur 470, McAlee 1054.jpg McAlee 1054, Prieur 470. Very Rare

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted