My first USPS insurance claim for lost coin as the seller

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Apr 8, 2014.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The process has just begun.
    I sold a coin for $765 on March 17, shipped it on March 18, and it arrived at the sorting facility on March 20. Luckily, I bought USPS insurance and signature confirmation with a eBay label. After several no call-backs from the post office and the buyer claiming they went to their post office several times and no one could find the package, I finally walked into my P.O. and demanded to speak to the postmaster.

He was nice enough. He called and spoke to the postmaster in TN, where the item was last seen. He came back and told me that the mail carrier scanned the item in the office in TN and marked it as "Notice Left" instead of scanning it at the home of the buyer, which they are required to do. (This supports the buyer's claim that they never got a notice for the missed delivery of the package). The postmaster stated that the carrier is being "reprimanded," whatever that means, for not scanning the package at the delivery address and instead scanning the package at the office, I suppose to save time.

I was then told to file an insurance claim on USPS.com, providing proof of insurance and proof of value. The postmaster said that proof of value is simply the sale price of the coin on eBay. So I created .pdf files of the eBay sale page and the PayPal transaction where I paid $16.03 for insurance, signature confirmation, and postage.

The files have been submitted, the claim opened, and I have the names and phone numbers of both my postmaster and the one in TN. Both have stated that they will provide further evidence by email to the USPS claims department, if necessary, explaining the carrier's failure to perform their job properly.

In the meantime, I need to refund my buyer $765 and wait/hope that the USPS will refund me, which should take 30 days or so.

Endeavor, sshafer11 and geekpryde like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

So, where is the coin now? If no one has picked it up is it just sitting out in USPS limbo or it it being returned to you as the sender?

Endeavor likes this.
  4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

You might tell what coin it was in case it shows up for sale....

Endeavor likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

No ones knows where it is. The TN post office can't find it.

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

1832 PCGS MS62 Capped Bust half dime - cert # 29376251

7. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Maybe the postal worker has it at their home?

Endeavor and Hotpocket like this.
  8. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I have got a package I bought last December, never received it, tracking still shows "delivery status not updated". Reputable seller I don't blame them. Had to send me another order luckily it wasn't that expensive.

Have you told USPS what was inside the package? Is the insurance valid for items like that? Hope you get your money back.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yes. USPS does cover collectible coins. Still, I'm afraid they'll find some way to wiggle out of paying me $765. We'll see.

10. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

They can't. That's what insurance is for.

Endeavor likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That carrier should have been fired rather than reprimanded. I'd be tempted to file an additional complaint with the US Postmaster General if this isn't resolved.

Chris

Endeavor and C-B-D like this.
  12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

No need to be afraid. I had a similar thing happen with a watch I sold. The PO conducted an investigation (at a leisurely pace, I might add) but after about three months they reimbursed me for the full insured amount.

Endeavor and C-B-D like this.
  13. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

My understanding was that the recipient (in this case 'intended' ) was the appropriate entity to file for the insurance claim. When did that change?

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The USPS hires part time drivers/delivery people in my town. Turnover is bad and an the pay probably is too. I can't say it was stolen, though. But why scan a package at the office and mark it as "notice left" when the rule is to do that AT the home?

It stinks of theft... but again I can't say.

Endeavor likes this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Actually there's an option on USPS.com claims where either party can make the insurance claim.

imrich and Endeavor like this.
  16. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

Yeah, that's pretty crappy. You should demand an internal investigation - my guess is that the coin didn't just magically disappear, but rather its in a certain postal worker's sock drawer at home. Makes me see red...

Endeavor likes this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You know what my postmaster said? "It was probably delivered and the buyer has the coin. But since it was scanned wrong, we'll never know."
    Guess he felt he had to stand behind his fellow government employee.

18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

By the way, I spoke to the buyer on the phone today. He said the lady carrier at the time it disappeared doesn't work his route anymore. She either got fired or was moved to another route.

geekpryde and Endeavor like this.
  19. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

"Newman! ... "
    (obligatory Seinfeld reference)

20. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I have had one package, out of the thousands sent and received, get damaged or lost. It had been cut open and one of the two coins shipped within it was either removed or fell out. The USPS made good on their insurance. This was about a decade ago, before I resorted to putting everything in boxes and using my own insurance policy.

princeofwaldo, geekpryde and Endeavor like this.
  21. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

Was the coin graded? If so, maybe you can notify NGC or PCGS (or eBay for that matter) that the coin should be considered stolen property if it shows up anywhere, and that you are the rightful owner. Wishful thinking I guess, but couldnt hurt...

Endeavor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted