My first successful bid in a standard coin auction: dealer's reputation re invoicing & shipping?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Silphium Addict

Silphium Addict Well-Known Member

I looked into TransferWise because of these posts and may consider when extra charges for using credit cards are high.
    I use a credit card from Capital One that has no foreign exchange fees, uses a good exchange rate, with 1.5% cash back and has the ability to issue a one time unique number for a specific purchase to avoid the highjacking you unfortunately experienced in the past. When I use PayPal, I have to specify that I want to pay in local currency to avoid PayPal’s foreign exchange fees and use the Capital One card but can’t generate the unique number for that purchase.

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Capital One CC is what I use overseas for everything you stated.

Silphium Addict likes this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Because of the issues people have mentioned, I might not want to try Transferwise if Nomos weren't, as seems to be clear, a very reputable dealer. But because they are reputable, and because the shipment will be insured against loss, I went ahead and paid the invoice (which I received this morning) by using my new Transferwise account. I never enjoy filling out Internet forms with bank addresses and IBAN numbers, etc. (all of the necessary information was on the invoice) -- I'm always concerned that I'll make a mistake! -- but it wasn't particularly difficult as these things go. I think I saved almost $30 in fees by doing it this way. If it works out, I may well continue to do things this way in the future to pay foreign dealers.

5. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

One of the nice things about Transferwise is that it remembers this information so the next time you send money to the same overseas recipient, you just select their name from the list and it pre-fills everything. Your own bank stuff is of course remembered also.

Credit cards are convenient when the recipient accepts them but most overseas auctions charge and extra 2-4% if you use that alternative (or Paypal). In this case, Transferwise is the least expensive alternative.

Alegandron, Orfew and DonnaML like this.
  6. The Trachy Enjoyer

The Trachy Enjoyer Well-Known Member

Perhaps two weeks? I have bid them (Nomos) once. After payment, they will ship via fedex

DonnaML likes this.
  7. The Trachy Enjoyer

The Trachy Enjoyer Well-Known Member

Paypal is easiest. I believe they charge 5 cents on the dollar for currency conversion though...its not great but often times beats the transfer fees of banks and gives you peace of mind. Worst case scenario, you get your money back

Scipio and DonnaML like this.
  8. DonnaML

For the record, Nomos just sent out my Marius Capito denarius today, 15 days after the auction ended and 13 days after I paid for my coin. Given my lack of experience with auction practices, I wanted to ask if it's standard to take so long to send the winning bidders their coins? I'm afraid that I'm used to VCoins dealers sending me my coins the very next day after I order and pay for them! (Unless an export permit has to be obtained first, as with Spain and Israel; I've never ordered from Italy.)

Thanks.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Odd - that is slow - they posted mine on 25th February.

Your post reminded me that I still haven't received it and I see it's been off the tracking radar since 26th February. Oh well, something else posted on 23rd Feb. in Belgium arrived today, so I guess things are still slow. Plus, a Savoca lot is travelling around France according to Fedex - which is nice for it, I guess :)

I hope it arrives soon!

ATB,
    Aidan.

DonnaML likes this.
  10. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

It depends on the number of invoices and the size of the staff. VCoins dealers rarely liquidate their entire inventory in a single day.

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

With Nomos for me it's usually taken between 4 - 10 days to ship after I make payment.

My experience with a few other auction houses -

Savoca: 1 day
    CNG: 2 - 3 days
    Naville: 3 - 5 days
    Leu: around 5 days
    Roma: 3 - 9 days

Depending on payment method, I think it sometimes takes longer for the funds to be received by the auction house.

Roman Collector and Alegandron like this.
  12. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I think I know the reason. When they receive the money, they don't see who is sending it as transferwise appears as the originator. So they have to cross check the reference you had in the transfer (invoice number) in their system to find out who paid. Apparently this is still a challenge for some auctioneers. Or maybe they are just bored and postpone the processing. A good practice is when you pay to send them an email that you paid with transferwise and that they will get the money in xyz days

DonnaML likes this.
  13. DonnaML

I did exactly that, so it's not a likely explanation. They even acknowledged receipt of the money about 10 days ago.

Roman Collector likes this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Late to this excellent thread. Beautifull addition Donna:D

Nomos/ Obolos are Ancient divisions of Sincona/ all three are perfect "10". I have gotten over 60 coins from them. They send material, the way I ask them/ no value. Also send before getting payment. Their grading is as good as CNG.
    Other great auctions to try out....
    Kunker/ Germany
    Lansky/ Serbia
    Morten&Eden/UK
    CGB fr./ France
    Numismatique Genevensis/ Swiss
    Tradart/ Swiss
    Leu/ Swiss
    Cayon/ Spain

All these firms grade conservatively/ their MS/ Stempelglanz/ FDC/ SC= US TPG MS-GEM 5/5 5/5
    John

Alegandron, NewStyleKing and DonnaML like this.
  15. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

You've got to be joking about Nomos... They always include the invoice with the amount due if you pay with paypal with bold letters and so the customs very conveniently calculate the import tax on the higher amount so you pay even more duties than you should and good luck disputing this with the customs. And they don't revise the invoices to fix it.

I suspect that you might be missing some information about lansky and their moving company seat lol

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Funny, I just got my Syracuse AV 20 Litrae delivered today from Lansky today, coin looks even better in the flesh. Lansky used to be Gallery 51/ Bru Wellco before that. Their material / grading is impeccable.
    Nomos always send mine with invoice inside packet/ we only get dinged by customs when stuff is sent via FEDEX. Seems FEDEX makes a point of presenting full documentation.
    John

17. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, mine arrived today!

ATB,
    Aidan.

DonnaML and panzerman like this.
  18. DonnaML

Great! So did mine, about 10 minutes ago. Via Federal Express.

19. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Mine yesterday via registered mail. I only had one coin.

panzerman and DonnaML like this.
  20. acsearch.info

acsearch.info Well-Known Member

Obolos is how Nomos calls their web auctions. And Nomos is not a division of Sincona. They are both individual companies.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted