My first store bought coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JulesUK, Nov 6, 2019.

1. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

E8F1E05B-BDA4-4EDB-83EE-B06B280493D3.jpeg 45C2ED15-2A29-412F-8DFD-1D93ED928681.jpeg

Hello all, I am proud to post my first store bought coin and would appreciate any feedback. It really made a difference holding and examining the coins (I bought 3 altogether) as a pose to viewing online.

Amisos, Pontos, AE20, c100 BC.
    Aegis with facing Gorgon in the centre.
    AMI-SOY Nike advancing right, holding palm over shoulder
    with both hands.
    monogram to left & right fields.

Cucumbor, Collect89, TIF and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats, nice coin Jules.

Heres mine:
    P1150426.JPG

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Nice score Jules ;). What store did you buy the coin from & what did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking :shame:?

JulesUK and Chris B like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Good start. This type does not always come so well centered and with clear legends. It needs no cleaning (might benefit from toning with time) and is an interesting coin much better than most firsts. Share more.

JulesUK likes this.
  6. JulesUK

Hi, it was a collectors store in Nottingham UK and i paid £25 pounds for it.

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coin - that is a fine specimen to start your collection with.

As Doug says, these are rarely this well centered. And to demonstrate, another beauty from my collection - the Gorgon almost completely off-center. Interesting to note, the OP and this one have the same monograms on the reverse. There are several variations, as I recall:

Pontos Amisos - 2 AE Nov 2018 (0).jpg

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

That's a most respectable example of this type! My first Gorgon from Amisos was much, much worse, and thus I upgraded to the coin below, which I bought in hand from Ken Dorney at the Santa Clara coin show this summer:

Magna Graecia – Pontos, Amisos, AE, Aegis und Nike.png
    Pontos, Amisos (Kingdom of Pontos under Mithridates VI Eupator), AE 21, ca. 105–85 BC. Obv: Gorgoneion in aegis. Rev: [A]MI-ΣΟ[Υ]; Nike advancing r. with palm branch; in fields, monograms. 21mm, 7.40g. Ref: SNG BM Black Sea 1177–1191.

10. JulesUK

Yes, i see what you mean. Thanks for posting.
    Not the first coin of my collection, the first (real world) non-internet one. Which is why i’m so proud.

dougsmit and Marsyas Mike like this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Ah, non-Internet! Sorry I misunderstood. I am so old all my coins were pre-Internet for about 10 years or so. Now I rarely buy in the real world, but I did just buy a couple of Byzantines from a local shop - it was fun - the co-owner torments me the entire time for not spending enough money and I critique her customer service failures while her daughter is laughing in the background. Like I said, it was a lot of fun, of the sort you cannot get Online.

Byz - Mauric Follis & Phocas XX Nov 2 2019 AZ (0).jpg

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There is a problem with coins bought 'in person' that is not as severe with online purchases. When you suffer buyer's remorse because you decide you should have been more selective, there is no one to blame but yourself. :grumpy:

Orielensis, JulesUK and TIF like this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice example. Nice centering and the reverse legend is much better than my example. I look forward to seeing your other purchases.

FA074B8E-6A96-4629-A69B-3FA4CE185DEC.jpeg
    PONTOS, Amisos.
    Time of Mithradates VI Eupator. Circa 85-65 BC. Æ 21
    Dia.: 21 mm
    Wt.: 7.3 g
    Obv.: Aegis.
    Rev.: Nike advancing right, holding palm; monograms flanking.
    Ref.: RG 44; cf. Callataÿ pl. XLIX, D; SNG BM Black Sea 1177-1179.
    Ex Arnoldoe Collection

D375DD1A-5E4E-4491-AE20-74E58DDB9D90.jpeg

A photo I took at the Uffizi in Florence.

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great start, @JulesUK !

Too funny, I used to be with a company that had one of factories in Nottingham. Great area.

Pontos Amisos Gorgon Aegis-Nike AE21.JPG
    Pontic Kingdom, Amisos
    AE21, 6.95g; 85-65 BC
    Obv: Aegis with Gorgon head at center.
    Rev: Nike advancing right carrying palm branch. AMI-ΣOY in field with mongrams.
    Reference: SNG XI Stancomb 688.
    Ex: @John Anthony

15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ah, Pontus Amios, Mithradates Vl...very nice one too..i'm still needing one o dese...so you have one that i don't already..:D..

JulesUK likes this.
  16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great looking coin @JulesUK !
    I picked my rather gnarly example up for $5 from a bin at the Baltimore Whitman Coin Show last year. I'm kind of embarrassed to even post it after seeing everyone else's examples.
    Amisos.jpg

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Sometimes it is hard to accept that there is such a thing as a genuine 2000 year old coin that is overpriced at $5 but the fact is there are many worth under $1 when you compare them to what even a little more will buy. We all must make the decision whether $1000 worth of collectible coins is one piece or 1000+. I buy ugly coins when they are not available otherwise but for $5, we should expect something, perhaps a bit more.

My $5 treasure is a double strike with obverse dies of Constantius II and Constantius Gallus but both with falling horseman reverses. I got $5 worth of enjoyment form it the day I found it. Will it incite a bidding riot when my coins are sold? I won't know.
    rx7277bb3232.jpg

Curtisimo, Marsyas Mike, Bing and 4 others like this.
  18. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool @dougsmit
    I bought this one at the show that was my and FFIVN's first foray into ancients at a coin show. I figured that for $5 it was worth it to learn something. We definitely learned something and still enjoy it for what it is.

19. JulesUK

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

These are common coins. While it may be worth a few pounds, I would prefer to have one twice as nice on the revers for four times the price. You?

Curtisimo likes this.
  21. JulesUK

Agree, i’m glad i found mine when I did. I’m going to watch this sale and see where it finishes, price wise.

Draft saved Draft deleted