My first Siliqua!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Sep 2, 2020.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I've always wanted one of those late Roman silver Siliqua, and I got this pretty beat up coin of Valens for only around 20 bucks (plus postage & GST :rage:) which fits with my student budget! I know many of you would just wait it out to get a better one, but I couldn't resist it, and also it has identifiable legends on both sides despite nearly 25% of the coin is missing!
    Obv- D N VALENS P F AVG
    Rev- VRBS ROMA / TRPS siliqua.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My first and only:
    Julian_II_2.png
    JULIAN II
    Siliqua
    OBVERSE: FL CL IVLIA-NVS PP AVG, rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: VOTIS V MVLTIS X in four lines within wreath. Mintmark SLVG
    Struck at Lyons 360-363 A.D
    1.7g, 16mm
    RIC VIII Lyons 227 var (bust type); RSC 163b var (ditto); Sear 4071 var (ditto).

4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Nice! I would do the same...:happy:;)

+VGO.DVCKS, finny and JayAg47 like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Good catch for $20.

JayAg47, +VGO.DVCKS and finny like this.
  6. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

This siliqua comes with a story. Many years ago I bought a small burlap bag of coins from a guy who told me his father was a missionary in the mid-east in the '50s and on Saturdays he would go to a flea market on the banks of a river that flowed through the city and would buy coins that the kids pulled out of the riverbank. Some were marginally cleaned and identifiable but this one had a thick black crust on it and you could tell it was probably silver. After about three weeks of soaking the crust came off and this is what I found:
    Marcian Siliqua 3.jpg

No more cleaning. It looks perfect the way it is.

7. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

What a coin!

JayAg47, Brian Bucklan and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  8. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

@JayAg47 ugly coins can be very interesting, nobody can argue with that, it's a fact.

This one is ugly as sin, but an unlisted officina for Valens from ca. 366-367, from an issue not recorded for either Valentinian I nor (from 367) Gratian. Not in Nummus Bible either:

valens.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Limes, DonnaML and 10 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ARCADIUS

[​IMG]
    RI Arcadius AR Siliqua 383-408 CE Roma Seated l holding globe with Victory; VIRTVS ROMANORVM RIC 106b 88 cat no

10. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Very cool, JayAg47. Where the logistics of collecting are concerned, Thank you, I am On Your Page. Here's the one of two siliquas that I didn't have to sell in a rent emergency. ...As such, it's a keeper. I need how it's Honorius, from the western empire (Milan, even), and how the clipping still gives you that much of the legends, including the mint. COINS, ROMAN, HONORIUS, SILIQUA, MILAN, OBV..jpg COINS, ROMAN, HONORIUS, SILIQUA, MILAN, REV..jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This is a very ugly but rather scarce argenteus from Rome in the second half of 294. Again ugly as sin and properly cheap as such:

sil1-12.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Limes, Bing and 9 others like this.
  12. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

GREAT snag for a twinny twin twin!
    My first...
    20190924_132853_A170F437-56F8-405C-B01B-101CA9762B27-4205-000004947DDFB78D.png

Marsyas Mike, TIF, Limes and 9 others like this.
  13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Could this be an AE3 of Valens, RIC IX Thessalonica 26b?

JayAg47 likes this.
  14. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Or 16b? At 2.96g it could be prior to the elevation of Gratian.

15. +VGO.DVCKS

...Or not so much. The architectural motif is good enough. ...Bust me if I'm making this up, but that became a kind of visual meme, picked up in Carolingian manuscripts, and reemerging in altered form in c. Salian-Staufen issues.

16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My only two siliquae, one of Julian II and the other of Valens. (I was very tempted to bid on the Gratian siliqua in the Frank Robinson auction that just ended [Lot 317], but decided that I had already committed to spending enough money if I won my other bids, and didn't feel comfortable bidding any more than that. It ended up going for $168, so now I'm kind of wishing I'd put in a bid!)

Julian II siliqua jpg version.jpg

Siliqua - Valens - jpg version.jpg

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

This one is @Valentinian ’s younger brother... :)

VALENTINIAN II

[​IMG]
    RI Valentinian II AD 375-392 AR Siliqua 18mm 1.8g Trier Victory wreath palm RIC IX 43

18. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Very interesting connection, but I am afraid I can't visualize which folio you have in mind, perhaps you could post it here for further discussion?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  19. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

@+VGO.DVCKS : Here's the little brother to your Honorius siliqua. This is the half siliqua version issued by the Visigoths in the name of Honorius.
    Honorius Half Siliqua.jpg It's 12mm and 0.7gms (half weight) and has the reverse of VICTORIA AVGG / PSRV in exergue

20. +VGO.DVCKS

Seth, Busted as usual! Thinking along the lines of the Utrecht Psalter, maybe by way of the c. early-11th-c. Anglo-Saxon adaptation, but nothing is turning up in what's to hand in print. I'll be on the lookout. Sorry....

21. +VGO.DVCKS

Nice one! I would like something Vandal, even AE, reliably 5th century.

Draft saved Draft deleted