My First Sestertius!!! Gordian III Vimanacium

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Jul 30, 2020.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

@Justin Lee , sorry for the late response! My little guy isn't quite up to the standard of the sold coin...
    IMG_E6247[1].JPG
    IMG_E6248[1].JPG

singig, Sulla80 and Justin Lee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

hotwheelsearl and Clavdivs like this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

And for less than a dollar, I suppose I shouldn’t complain!

Justin Lee and Clavdivs like this.
  5. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Here's my year 1:
    GordianIIIViminaciumVarbanov104.JPG
    Gordian III - Viminacium - Varbanov 104

PeteB, singig, Sulla80 and 5 others like this.
  6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

And my year II:

3286 V s ct.jpg

Gordianus III, AE33, Viminacium. Dated CY 2 (AD 240/1). Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev. Moesia standing facing, head left; to left, bull standing right; to right, lion standing left. AN II (date) in exergue. PMS COL VIM. 33 mm, 23.04 g. Green patina, smoothed.

Although I don't understand why Gordian's year 2 = 240, when his reign started in 238.

Aurelianus, Justin Lee, PeteB and 5 others like this.
  7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great addition @hotwheelsearl! Congratulations on your first sestertius. It's a great chuck of metal to hold in hand indeed.

Here's my first sestertius, purchased in 2016:
    21.2.png

I am interested in this question. What makes a coin a sestertius, and not a provincial AE? I understand that under Valerian, Viminacium became an imperial mint? Would only coins struck at that time, be considered official Rome imperial coins with corresponding denomination? Or does that mean that coins struck previously, are also considered imperial coinage? I also wondered this for the 'sestertii' struck Augustus in Pergamum.

Justin Lee, TJC, PeteB and 5 others like this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice piikup for a first attempt @hotwheelsearl
    Nothing like a Viminacum big bronze here, but a decent GIII sestertius to share

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, Sestertius - Rome mint, AD 241/243
    IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind
    IOVI STATORI, Jupiter standing, looking right, holding thuderbolt and sceptre. S C in field
    20,18 gr
    Ref : Cohen #111, RCV # 8710, RIC # 298a

As a bonus, here's a virtual tray displying my sestertii of the third century

[​IMG]

Q

Aurelianus, Limes, Justin Lee and 6 others like this.
  9. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

AMNG (in German) is one of the references you can find on archive.org. Here's a link to the page with your coin. These come laureate and "mit Krone" (radiate). I think yours is AMNG 81, laureate, like this one also from year III, however this one the legend is different: "IMP CAES...":
    Viminacium Gordian III.jpg
    Moesia Superior, Viminacium, Gordian III, AD 238-244, dated CY 3 (AD 241/2)
    Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: P M S COL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, extending hands to bull and lion standing at her feet on either side; AN III (date) in exergue
    Ref: AMNG I 79

Pellinore, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Coins of Viminacium are numbered from the year of the city, not the year of the reign. For example, coins of Philip and Otacilia are dated IIII - XI, those of Decius and family years XI-XII, Trebonianus Gallus from XII-XIIII, Aemilian XIV, etc.

TJC, PeteB, Pellinore and 3 others like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Imperial coins made to circulate everywhere do not have the city name on the reverse. Viminacium was a full Colony so was allowed Latin language coins but they were still for local use as I understand it. Later, the concept of coins for local use died off and was replaced with branch mints. There was overlap until the last mint of the old system, Alexandria, was converted by Diocletian along with his currency reform that brought us the AE1 follis.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While you are looking at these Viminacium coins, keep an eye out for similar coins for the Province of Dacia that are year dated using a different system and use a different set of animals honoring their local legions. These start with Philip (AN I = 246 AD) so are later than coins available in the largest size. They are a bit harder to find in really great shape but should not be confused with the coins of Viminacium. This Volusian from year 5 (251) shows an eagle and a lion. ex.PeteB 1999
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Search.asp...R_TYPE_ID_2=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_4=1
    po2530bb1980.jpg

13. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Nice AE Gordianus Hotwheelsearl! Congrats!
    I do not have a AE Gordian to share but here is couple
    of Aemilian's AE coins. One from Viminacium and one from Dacia.
    AemilianViminacium339xxO.jpg AemilianViminacium339xxR.jpg
    Aemilian AE of Viminacium, Moesia.
    IMP C M AEMIL AEMILIANVS A, laureate, draped bust right
    PMS-COL VIM, Moesia standing with hands outstretched over a lion and a bull. Date AN XIV in exergue. AMNG 179, Martin 6'01'31.

AemilianDacia339xO.jpg AemilianDacia339xR.jpg
    Aemilian, AE Sestertius of Dacia.
    IMP C M AEMIL AEMILIANVS AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right, seen from back
    PROVI-N-CIA DACIA, Dacia standing facing, holding vexillum marked XIII in left hand and curved sword in right hand; vexillum marked V to left, eagle and lion at feet. AN VIII in exergue. AMNG 57; Martin 6.53.3. Moushmov 21

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  14. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Below is a Viminacium year (period) chart. I do not know where I got this from but it it the reference that I use rather than doing the math;).
    ANNO: Period

I- july 239 - july 240
    II- july 240 - july 241
    III - july 241 - july 242
    IIII - july 242 - july 243
    V - july 243 - july 244
    VI - july 244 - july 245
    VII - july 245 - july 246
    VIII - july 246 - july 247
    VIIII - july 247 - july 248
    X - july 248 - july 249
    XI - july 249 - july 250
    XII - july 250 - july 251
    XIII - july 251 - july 252
    XIV - july 252 - july 253
    XV - july 253 - july 254
    XVI - july 254 - july 255

Roman Collector and Pellinore like this.
  15. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I agree, these too are equally as interesting, and a bit less common than the Viminacium colony coinage. I have 2 rough ones:

[​IMG]
    Philip the Arab, Ruled 244-249 AD
    AE Sestertius, Provincia Dacia
    Struck 248/249 AD (RY 3)

Obverse: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: PROV-INCI-A DACIA, Dacia standing facing, head left, holding curved sword and vexillum inscribed XIII; before her to left, vexillum inscribed V; at her feet, eagle to left, lion to right;, AN III below (RY 3 = 248/249 AD).
    Reference: Varbanov 11
    Size: 29mm, 14.5g
    Note: The eagle and the lion were emblems of the two legions V (Legio V Macedonica) and XIII (Legio XIII Gemina) who were stationed in the area.

[​IMG]
    Trajan Decius, Ruled 249-251 AD
    AE Sestertius, Provincia Dacia
    Struck 250/251 AD (RY 5)

Obverse: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: PROVIN-CIA DACIA, Dacia standing with head to the left holding a bundle of rice in right hand over eagle with wreath in mouth, and scepter in left hand over lion, AN V below (RY 5 = 250/251 AD).
    Reference: Moushmov 11
    Size: 28mm, 13.6g
    Note: The eagle and the lion were emblems of the two legions V (Legio V Macedonica) and XIII (Legio XIII Gemina) who were stationed in the area.

16. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

PhilipIIViminacium1.jpg
    Philip II. 247-249 AD. MOESIA SUPERIOR, Viminacium. Æ (23mm, 8.36 gm, 6h). Dated Year 9 (247/248 AD). Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: Moesia standing facing, head left; bull and lion at sides. Date ANVIIII in exergue. Varbanov 156 (R3).

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  17. hotwheelsearl

I also have a Provincia Dacia Philip, albeit a completely wrecked one
    Philip I.JPG

18. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Thank you dougsmit for your explanation!

Pellinore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted