My First Sestertius!!! Gordian III Vimanacium

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Jul 30, 2020.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I just got my very first sestertius, ever! I've wanted one of these chunky coins for quite a while, but prices just weren't within my poor-mans budget.

However, I did manage to win this auction for just about $13, which I think is a deal-and-a-half for any sestertius, especially a thicc 34mm x 18.1g example.

Gordian III is known to be, at age 13, the youngest Sole Emperor in Rome's history. Most of his statues and coins show an obviously young kid, such as the below:
    Gordian_III_Antoninianus.jpg
    800px-Bust_Gordianus_III_Louvre_Ma1063.jpg
    index.jpeg

Some of his coins show a rather more mature-looking individual, who looks less like a kid and more like a late teen.
    Thus is the coin I now am happy to own, an issue from Viminacium! IMG_E6224.JPG
    Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG
    Rev: PMS C-OL VIM
    Diam: 34mm
    Weight: 18.1g
    Ref: AMNG 82, Martin 1'29'1
    (I have no idea what any of the above means, that's just what Wildwinds shows)

Please show off your big boys!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fun! AMNG is a reference titled Die Antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands. It comes in four volumes. Volume I, part 1 is by Behrendt Pick and has coins from Viminacium.

I have a Gordian from Viminacium too, but with a radiate crown and on a smaller module:

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244.
    Roman provincial Æ 21.6 mm, 7.85 g, 1h.
    Moesia Superior, Viminacium, AD 242/3.
    Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: P M S C-OL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, extending hands to bull and lion standing at her feet on either side, AN IIII (year 4 = AD 242/3) in exergue.
    Refs: H&J, Viminacium, 15; AMNG I 84; Varbanov 119; BMC --.

4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Very nice! Nothing like holding a big ol' sestertius in hand.

Here are a few of mine (the Nerva shown is a dupondius.. the rest sestertii) ..

collageADOPTIVE.jpg

TJC, Cucumbor, Limes and 9 others like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

Nice one! I didn't realize that they were actually dated so specifically. Neat!

Justin Lee and Roman Collector like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I can't really agree with calling the Provincials sestertii, the Viminacium AE of Gordian and Philip can be nice large coins. After that, the shrank fast. Real Rome mint sestertii of Gordian are not hard to find.
    ro0660b00283lg.jpg
    However you really want of of Vespasian who is cheapest of the really good sized ones.
    rb1280bb0190.jpg

7. hotwheelsearl

Oh, well, heck, I guess my search for a "real" sesterce is still active!

ominus1 and Justin Lee like this.
  8. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Congrats @hotwheelsearl ! I have a large one like yours , I will posted tomorrow.
    Gordian III and Phillip I coins from this series are generally well made(in size and even style) , compared to other emperors after Decius to Gallienus.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

Yay, I look forward to seeing yours!

10. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I really like these Viminacium coins, especially the chunky feeling of the big ones in hand. Congrats on getting a nice big one, @hotwheelsearl!

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, Ruled 238-244 AD
    AE Sestertius, Moesia, Viminacium
    Struck 242/243 AD (RY 4)

Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: PMS C-OL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, extending hands to bull and lion standing at feet on either side, AN IIII in exergue (RY 4 = 242/243 AD).
    References: SNG Cop 144, Moushmov 33
    Size: 30mm, 14.5g

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, Ruled 238-244 AD
    AE32 Sestertius, Moesia, Viminacium
    Struck 241/242 AD (RY 3)

Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: PMS C-OL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, extending hands to bull and lion standing at feet on either side, AN III in exergue (RY 3 = 241/242 AD).
    References: SNG Cop 142, BMC 9
    Size: 32mm, 18.9g

It's cool that there are many other emperors of the era with these coins.
    [​IMG]
    Philip the Arab, Ruled 244-249 AD
    AE28 Sestertius, Moesia, Viminacium
    Struck 248/249 AD (RY 5)

Obverse: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, laureate head right.
    Reverse: PMS C-OL VIM, Moesia standing with head to the left holding her right hand over a bull and her left hand over a lion, AN V in exergue (RY 5 = 248/249 AD).
    References: Varbanov 132, Mouchmov 36
    Size: 28mm, 16.74g

[​IMG]
    Trajan Decius, Ruled 249-251 AD
    AE Sestertius, Moesia, Viminacium
    Struck 249/250 AD (RY 11)

Obverse: IMP TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG, laureate, draped bust right.
    Reverse: PMS C-OL VIM, Moesia standing with head to the left holding her right hand over a bull and her left hand over a lion, AN XI below (RY 11 = 249/250 AD).
    Reference: Cohen 139
    Size: 29mm, 15.5g

11. hotwheelsearl

Great examples, @Justin Lee ! Previously I only had a rough AE20 of Gordy with that reverse; I’m happy to supplant that one with this new pickup :D

12. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'd love to see that AE20 Vim GIII! That Roman colony issued sestertius sized coinage, medium sized dupondius-style coinage with radiate (like RCs above) and a smaller, more denarius laureated AE coin as well (that is the type I'm mildly seeking). Just last week one did very well on Ebay. I wonder if it was anyone on here?

13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  14. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

A Julio-Claudian sestertius:

Nero - kinda beat-up, but a bold portrait.

828E6DA8-A53B-401C-AE56-B8DC55B0AC60.jpeg
    NERO, SESTERTIUS, BMCRE Vol. I, Rome, No. 114
    NERO, SESTERTIUS, RIC Vol. I, Rome, No. 356
    (66-67AD, 36mm, 26.8gm)

Obverse depiction: Nero, laureate head facing right

Reverse depiction: Personification of Roma seated left on cuirass
    resting elbow on shield and holding spear, helmet behind

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  15. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

HerenEtruscillaViminacium1.jpg
    Herennia Etruscilla. Augusta, 249-251 AD. MOESIA SUPERIOR, Viminacium. Æ (28mm, 13.48 gm, 1h). Dated year 12 (250/1 AD). Obv: Diademed and draped bust right. Rev: Moesia standing left between bull and lion; AN XII (date) in exergue. Varbanov 179 (R5); Boric-Brescovic 1228; Mouchmov 48.

16. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I scored my 1st sestertius of Gordian III this year :D. It's nothing special, but for $99.00 I couldn't resist :smug:. As Doug Smith states, there are plenty out there to choose from, & the portraits on his sestertii are of high quality ;).

Gordian III, RIC IV.III 269a.jpg
    Gordian III, AD 238-244 (struck AD 239), Rome Mint. AE 20.63 gm, 31 mm, 11 h. Reverse: LIBERALITAS AVG II S C. RIC VI.III 269a.

17. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..kool earl! :)..my Herennius Etruscus hails from Mosia Sup. V. ..(here he is posing with Perseus:cool:) perseus herinnius coins 002.JPG perseus herinnius coins 003.JPG

18. Aurelianus

Aurelianus Member

Congrats!

Something cool about your coin is the symbolism on the reverse with the personification of Moesia standing between the lion and bull. These two animals represent Legions VII and IV stationed in the province to protect this frontier. Viminacium was no cowtown; it was a major military camp and city in an area where the Romans campaigned for centuries against the Dacians, Goths, Sarmatians, Huns...

Great coin!

19. hotwheelsearl

I was literally wondering that exact thing but didn’t want to ask for fear of sounding dumb! Haha

It’s definitely a cool reverse and I’m glad I have it in such a large form factor

Aurelianus likes this.
  20. Aurelianus

Aurelianus Member

That's a vibe on CT we need to stop... No dumb questions! Tons of varieties and corners of the market I know nothing about haha

TJC and hotwheelsearl like this.
  21. singig

singig Well-Known Member

AE31 , 17.1 gr
    Gordian III, Viminacium, Moesia, AMNG 71
    IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right /
    PMS CO-L VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, arms outstretched over a lion and a bull. Date AN dot I dot below.
    gor.jpg

TJC, Roman Collector, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted