My First Roman Republican Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by old49er, Nov 15, 2017.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi All, Pretty excited here. :) Just picked up my first Roman Republican Coin. It was time to expand my horizons. I really like this coin! It has a beautiful bust on the obverse and a Chariot on the reverse. It has not been attributed yet. This is all the info I have on it :AR Denarius, Roman Republican 3.5g 18.4mm . Anyone know the Attribution? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please post any of this type you have, I would love to see them. Here's the sellers photos. roman republic ar 3.4 g 18.4 mm obv.jpg roman republic denarius 3.5g 18.4mm rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It appears the silver is crystallized, but otherwise it's a fine coin. Congrats.

galba68, GerardV, old49er and 2 others like this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

A very beautiful coin. My only advice would be to make sure you never drop it because it would probably shatter like a piece of glass.

5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Very interesting coin, @old49er ! I really like the portraiture on the Roman Republican coins! The crystallization on yours is fascinating and a testament to its antiquity!

GerardV and old49er like this.
  6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I hate to say it but I feel there is something seriously wrong with the style of this coin and I think it is wholly modern. May I ask where you purchased it?

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Here are some genuine examples for comparison. The style of Roma does seem a bit off... :(

(I am not an expert, but red_spork definitely is.)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    GerardV and old49er like this.
  8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

old49er likes this.
  9. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Compare the rendering of Roma's chin and lips on the OP coin with the 79 examples listed in Severus Alexander's research on ACSEARCH. Unfortunately, not a single one of the 79 examples is stylistically similar to the OP coin.

In fact, the OP coin's rendering of Roma looks more similar to a Greek coin than to a Roman coin, to my eye.

If this were my coin, I would be uncomfortable with its authenticity, and would return it to the seller for a refund.

10. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

What I don't like about it is the heavy pitting and what seems to be an oversized flan more evident on the obverse.

coinsareus10 and old49er like this.
  11. red_spork

This is my thinking as well. The style is more similar to the "Spearhead" issues that were engraved probably by local celators in Apulia but those were minted half a century before this during the Second Punic War.

GerardV, old49er and Volodya like this.
  12. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have one of these. My description follows. I do not like the surface pits. I would not say it is cast, but cast pieces can have surface bubbles. My pics are from the seller's catalog.
    SAFRA Cr 206.1 obv Tom C 5.20.13 (2).jpg SAFRA Cr 206.1 rev Tom C 5.20.13 (2).jpg
    Roman Republican denarius, 150 BC, Rome
    Spurius Afranus or SAFRA (otherwise unknown cogmomen) – It is interesting that earlier numismatists Babelon and Grueber give the moneyer the name Spurius Afranus and later ones like Crawford and Sear do not split the letters.
    Obv – helmeted head of Roma, R; behind X = mark of value = 10 asses
    Rev – Victory driving a biga, R; below SAFRA; in ex – ROMA with archaic A
    Cr 206/1
    Grueber – Rome 670
    Sear – 85
    RSC / Bab – Afriana 1
    Syd – 388
    3.85 grams, 17 mm, EF
    Ex Tom Cederlind sale 169, 5/30/13; this is a relatively early auction purchase for me. It was before I bought Crawford.

13. old49er

Hi, You think its a fake then. I bought it from https://www.ebay.com/usr/ancient_kingdoms?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754 I thought it would be authentic with the flan being crystalized. I guess I wrongly assumed I could tell an ancient coin from a modern counterfeit. I bought 6 coins from them. they all looked authentic to my untrained eye. Care to take a look at the others ? I have a 14 day refund window.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  14. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

177 rating on an ebayer is way too low for my taste especially for ancients

15. old49er

Here's the others I purchased from this seller. Do these look authentic? Thanks for the feedback everyone , I appreciate your thoughts and comments. I'm a greenhorn when it comes to Ancients!

Attached Files:

Alegandron, Deacon Ray and randygeki like this.
  16. red_spork

If you google "ancient_kingdoms" this link will come up: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html . This seller has been a known fakeseller for over a year now so I am that much more confident that this coin is a forgery. I also spoke with a much more experienced RR collector who echoed many of my concerns.

If you want to buy authentic coins, I cannot recommend enough sticking with good dealers and not buying from random eBay sellers. I would treat any coin purchased from this seller as a fake and demand a refund.

17. old49er

Thank You red_spork . I will initiate a full refund then. I guess this is a lesson well learned. I really appreciate your feedback! Guess I will stick with JA and Vcoins then, Or other sellers on this Ancient Forum. I really was excited, this is a bit of a let down. But I have learned a valuable lesson. Thanks again!

Mikey Zee and kkathyl0 like this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sooooooooo sorry for you!

old49er, Theodosius and Curtisimo like this.
  19. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

good one..well done..

old49er likes this.
  20. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

now, if l look again..it is suspicious..

old49er likes this.
  21. old49er

Well, I got a full refund at least! Now I can buy some authentic pieces. The seller wasn't too happy, saying he is being stigmatized for making a couple mistakes selling fakes. I thought about not buying Ancient coins any more...But I love Ancient coins and I have come to the conclusion that this is a learning curve for me. Live and learn and move on with this great hobby. :)

beef1020, randygeki, GerardV and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted