My first Roman Republican coin, and also the denarius of Mark Antony Legionary-XX.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Sep 25, 2020.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I received it in the mail, bought from Vcoins when it was discounted at $25 (probably overpaid), but I'm happy as the legionary number is visible and the galley looks good as well.
    Mark Antony, LEG-XX
    LEG XX.png
    I also threw in this black-toned Vespasian at the same cost to justify the shipping ;), and I really like the facial expression of Vespasian here!
    IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG
    Mars/ COS VI
    ves cos6 mars.png

singig, Tony1982, Edessa and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I collect MA's Legionary denarii, and my only real criteria is that the legion number is discernable. The amount you paid is an excellent price!
    Marcus Antonius Leg XX.jpg

singig, Broucheion, Tony1982 and 7 others like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like that Mark Antony! For $25, I think that's solid! Wish I would've seen it haha.

JayAg47 likes this.
  5. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

lol, I have been watching it for a while when it was around 30 bucks and snagged it right up as soon as I saw it got discounted!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice catch at a bargain basement price. Congrats.

JayAg47 likes this.
  7. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

$25 for a coin with such history is a fantastic bargain. Forget the later coins found in hoards in EF condition, this coin was held by a warrior, spent on food and recirculated for at least a hundred years because of the quality of the silver. I collect these too and they are iconic. Of course for the same price you could have bought a couple of beers and a pizza. You have done extremely well and should be proud. You are also now the custodian of this heritage and when we are all gone, someone will remark " how did this survive?"
    Well done!

JayAg47 and furryfrog02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted