My first Roman coin! Diocletian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by savitale, Feb 13, 2021.

1. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

I just received my first Roman coin! I'm really interested in what others with more experience think of it. Is this a keeper? Or did I make a mistake?

Here is the description from CNG: Diocletian. AD 284-305. AR Argenteus (18mm, 3.19 g, 6h). Siscia mint. Struck circa AD 294-295. DIOCLETI ANVS AVG, laureate head right / VIRTVS MILITVM, four tetrarchs sacrificing over tripod before city enclosure with eight turrets. RIC VI 43a; Jeločnik 3a; RSC 516†m.

Diocletian-obv.JPG

Diocletian-rev.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's no mistake! That's lovely! And from CNG to boot!

savitale and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

A very beautiful coin and a very evil ruler. :cyclops:

savitale and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  5. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

Wow, no matter how many times I see it, I can't get used to seeing MS coins that are over a thousand years old! It's hard enough to see them in this condition when their only 200 years old LOL!

DonnaML, savitale and Matthew Kruse like this.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful example... one of the best.
    Congratulations!!

savitale likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That’s a pretty extreme example for a first foray. Congrats, may your pockets be ever deep :)

savitale and Numisnewbiest like this.
  8. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

Great historical interest with Diocletian, the leader of the Tetrarchy, on the front, and all four Tetrarchs together on the back.

rrdenarius and savitale like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

savitale likes this.
  10. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Wonderful coin. Well struck, great style and patina. Congratulations!

Here’s my Diocletian argentus:
    Diocletian.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That is a beautiful coin! Nice addition. Here is my example.

3D484404-FAD4-47BE-9B4A-DA7DEC22BCB8.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Diocletian (AD 284-305)
    AR Argenteus, Ticinum mint, struck ca. AD 294
    Dia.: 20 mm
    Wt.: 2.92 g
    Obv.: DIOCLETI-ANVS AVG; Laureate bust right
    Rev.: VIRTVS MILITVM; Tetrarchs sacrificing in front of fort with 6 turrents
    Ref.: RIC VI 14a, R3

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sisak Hoard? Has the look.

Curtisimo likes this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I suspect it was from the Sisak hoard but I have not been able to locate it in any of the old auction catalogs where the hoard was sold. It was not sold with the Sisak provenance noted unfortunately :(.

14. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

That's a mighty fine coin, especially your first! My first Roman coin was a bit... eeh... less good looking :)
    Anyway, here's my only Diocletian. I'd love to get an argenteus of this guy somewhere in the future.
    86.1.png

15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

That's a real beauty. Congratulations.

For a first ancient coin, that's a pretty big investment. You were smart to buy from a well-respected dealer that specializes in ancients, like CNG, if you are interested in higher-end coins like that. Stick with this approach. Resist the temptation to save a few dollars by buying high-priced coins from dealers with less expertise and/or a shorter history with ancients.

Your coin is in a slab. Many long-time collectors of ancient coins dislike slabs, preferring to be able to actually hold the coin in their hands. But I think you've illustrated a good case for when they can be helpful. They provide an extra level of safety and piece of mind for collectors of modern coins who want to explore ancient coins.

The field of ancient coins can be overwhelming to new collectors: Where do I begin? How do I know I'm not getting ripped off? You've taken a smart first step and have an excellent specimen to show for it. Welcome aboard.

DonnaML, rrdenarius, savitale and 2 others like this.
  16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It is quite nice and a bit better than the one I have. I am a bit surprised that your first purchase would be that expensive. You probably paid somewhere in the $1,000 to $1,500 range.

savitale likes this.
  17. johnmilton

Really?

I don’t see him as being any worse than most of those who preceded him. Sure, he killed or had killed his predecessor and his family, but just about all of them did that.

On the other hand, he brought a much needed period of stability to the empire and had the good sense to know that he couldn’t run the whole thing by himself. While he was in charge, his picks for co-rulers were pretty good. After he retired, things went down hill. And yes, he did know when to retire.

18. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I was mainly thinking of the persecution against Christians...

savitale likes this.
  19. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

My latest Diocletian...don't have an argenteus yet.

Diocletian (A.D. 284-305) AE Follis

Weight: 6.90 grams

Diameter: 23 mm

Mint: Follis struck at Alexandria (ALE Mintmark) between 308 and 310, after his abdication.

Obverse: DN DIOCLETIANO BAEATISS, laurel-wreathed bust right wearing mantle, holding olive branch and holding mappa in the other hand.

Reverse: PROVIDENTIA DEORVM, Providentia standing right, extending right hand to Quies, standing left, holding branch and sceptre.

Reference: Sear 12922, RIC VI Alexandria 80 corr.

[​IMG]

20. johnmilton

Just about all of them went after Christians. My studies indicate that Diocletian’s second command or caesar in the Eastern Empire, Galerius Maximianus, was most responsible for the persecution of Christians. The other three leaders followed suit, but a lesser extent and sometimes with little enthusiasm.

DonnaML and savitale like this.
  21. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

That is a high quality coin - Great style portrait, fabulous surfaces, early die state. Regardless of what you paid, it was not too much.

rrdenarius and savitale like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted