My first purchase from Heritage Auction .

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevin wu, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Nice piece, You can file that one under "good will". Just say leaving to P&G

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That is S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R!!

4. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

tmp_13306-lf(2)-1918437750.jpg tmp_13306-lf(3)1199398734.jpg Very unusual.... and nice! Poor George has his head on backwards!! I picked up a little something from them recently as well....first seated dollar! Really taking a liking to the seated stuff!

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

And lack of quality control is not a new thing apparently, since that coin is 59 years old now. Very cool piece, particularly as a proof.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The normal one.

:)

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

amazing, and possibly unique.

8. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

This one really catch my eyes, especially love silver proof , still waiting shipment come from heritage next week .

9. Salspi

Salspi Member

I don't understand that either... wouldn't the lettering be concave on the reverse? I'm as far from an experienced collector as can be but this made sense to me.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm sure all the reverse detail is incuse/concave. Your brain refuses to perceive it that way, though, because

a) you're used to seeing that design in relief;
    b) you're seeing only a single shot, with no perspective from motion or binocular vision;
    c) you don't know where the lighting is coming from.

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

As I understand it, yes. The "backwards" size should have all the details incuse. Based on the photos...that's how it is too.

12. Salspi

Salspi Member

Ah- my brain is tricking me.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's actually a good sign. It's behaving normally. :)

14. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Glad I'm not the only one having issues with this, lol.
    Still looks raised to me.

15. CamaroDMD

So I wanted to see it close up so I found the auction itself. When you look at those photos zoomed in it becomes clear.

16. Garlicus

Nope. Still no luck.

Never could see images in those posters that you're suppose to stare at either, lol.

17. CamaroDMD

Lol. I was able to see those if I crossed my eyes first. You could try that here. :D

18. Garlicus

Still no luck.

Funny thing is, sometimes I can 'see' images (misplaced letters and numbers) on some coins that others say aren't there. I guess my reality is a little different than others, lol.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It seemed like raised surfaces to me, but I assumed it wouldn't be certified if not incuse. Maybe someone can post photos of it from a different angle/ lighting that show it is incused?
    Never seen anything like this, and it is a winner.

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I still haven't managed to "see" it as incuse yet, even though I usually can. Look at it from a different standpoint: Both sides of the coin would have been imaged consecutively, under the same camera with the same lighting. Now, compare the bright and shadow parts of each image - they're inverted. The only way that happens is if one is positive and one is negative. Otherwise, the lighting artifacts on the images would be identical.

21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This is funny. The second I saw the images, I saw the obverse as relief and the reverse as incuse. I know that the brain takes a short cut in defining what you see when it see's something familiar. In this case, it recognizes a human head and by nature, it knows a human head is in relief. So the assumption is automatically made that anytime a human face is seen, your brain stops analyzing the structure and assumes relief. It's pretty cool how you can trick your brain.

Here's the ultimate video in how your brain will confuse you. It's a well known optical illusion of a paper dragon.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted