My first purchase for the year

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AussieCollector, May 7, 2020.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Let me clarify... once I was told my coin was likely fake (via PM).. I investigated, digested the info and then announced on the same thread that the coin was indeed a fake. I also gave credit to the person who pointed it out and thanked them (with their permission).

It burns, it can hurt, it can be depressing and flat out embarrassing (not saying so in this case - but it certainly was for me). I appreciated the tact and compassion of that person... and still do.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this, AC. That is a pretty convincing fake, at least to me.

It rather alarmed me - I have one that looks a lot like it - mine has a different control number on the obverse, so I hope it's okay. As I bought it back in 1992, it seems unlikely I'll get a refund!

(I'm okay with being told it's a fake in public, by the way).

RR - Norbana C Norbanus Jun 2019 (0).jpg

Roman Republic Denarius
    C. Norbanus
    (83 B.C.)
    Rome Mint

Diademed head of Venus right, C NORBANVS below, CLXVIII behind / Ear of corn,
    fasces and caduceus.
    Crawford 357/1b; Norbana 2; Sydenham 739.
    (3.70 grams / 17 mm)

Bing and furryfrog02 like this.
  4. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Thanks @Marsyas Mike

I don't pretend to be an ancients expert, but it certainly fooled me.

Upon reflection, the weight did bother me a little before purchase (particularly for a Republic Denarius, vs. an Imperial Denarius), and I should have listened to that little voice. But I have seen and purchased so many underweight denari over the years, 100% authenticated by the experts, I ignored the voice.

What I should have done is thought about it a little more, and looked more closely at the denarius - as there are clearly casting bubbles, despite the good design and overall look.

P.S. - @Marsyas Mike your denarius looks to be a similar look and feel, but it's weight is better, and I don't see casting bubbles

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Marsyas Mike likes this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Thanks AC, I appreciate the reassurances!

As for Roman Republic fakes, I've landed a couple - one came to light when I finally got around to weighing it. Ouch.

Draft saved Draft deleted