My First Pattern Coin - And My New Favorite Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by CamaroDMD, Jan 14, 2017.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I have always wanted a pattern coin...however with the majority of my collecting life focusing on US coins the changes of me ever obtaining one was slim. The costs are just too high. However, I was browsing one of my foreign coin dealers websites and I came across this coin. I instantly fell in love with the design and I had to buy it. It arrived yesterday and is easily my favorite coin.

The coin is a German pattern. It's a 1908-D 25 Pfennig Schaaf 18/G30. It's mintage is unknown but likely in the 100-200 range. This example is graded PF65 RB by PCGS. It has lovely surfaces with great luster and beautiful reverse toning. I tried to capture the toning in the photos but it looks better in hand.

This coin was designed by the famous German medalist Karl Goetz and submitted as a proposed design for the new 25 Pfennig coin (a new denomination at the time). This design was not adopted nor were any of the other designs he proposed. The design ultimately chosen became J.18/KM-18 25 Pfennig coin in Nickel and was put into production in 1909.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

That's a beauty! I always tried to get a couple of pattern pieces when I did a series of proof coins to add to the story, but they are pretty tough for US coins.

Amos 811 likes this.
  4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

thats a great obverse crest isn't it?

5. Beautiful coin....
    Goetz.... is he the one who designed the German propaganda tokens in WWI?

6. CamaroDMD

I know he designed some WWI propaganda medals. I'm not sure if he is the person you are thinking of...but yes he did some. He was a very prominent German medalist of that era.

http://www.karlgoetz.com/Default1.aspx?SubPageId=87

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Love the color and patina on this one! Great pickup!

8. CamaroDMD

Thanks. The color is even better in hand. The surfaces are absolutely wonderful. I wish I could have captured them better in the photo.

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

A total winner there!

Draft saved Draft deleted