My first Owl

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AussieCollector, Nov 26, 2018.

1. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Well, I managed to snatch up my first Attica Athens Tetradrachm.

Such an iconic coin, and one that I thought would probably be outside of my desired price range (bearing in mind I didn't want to pay $400+ USD for a non-gold coin). Still a little more than I would have liked, but a much better price than $400 USD.

Also smaller flan than I would have preferred, but I quite like the detail that is there. Also, the first ancient bought from an Auction House in Australia too. Hopefully the first of many.

upload_2018-11-27_14-18-7.png

ATTICA, Athens, (350-300 B.C.), silver Tetradrachm, (17.10 g)
    Obv. head of Athena to right wearing ivy crested helmet, eye in profile,
    Rev. owl standing to right, head facing, in erect posture, olive twig and crescent behind, to right, **AQE*, all in incuse square

The split of the "Ancient Roman and Greek coins" part of my collection, to "Ancient Roman Republic and Empire" and "Ancient Greece and successor states" is coming along swimmingly!

Let's see if this one comes in 16.78g as well! :troll: ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beginner345

Beginner345 Active Member

You positive its genuine?

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

o wow!...kool ach...i haven't got one yet and i'm gettin' old...(Neal Young reference:p)

AussieCollector likes this.
  5. Beginner345

ditto
    im a cheapskate and
    its THE most faked ancient coin on earth so im afraid to get one
    http://rg.ancients.info/owls/forgeries.html

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One thing though...check out the forgeries, all are pretty nice.

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great buy, no test cuts and great owl. It's good to pick up a coin that would cost a third more overseas because of our exchange rate, was that from the recent Nobles auction?

8. Beginner345

9. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Nope. But, the Auction House has a good reputation and I will test the SG once I get it and go from there.

Yes it was from Noble! And yes, that's pretty much exactly what I saved.

I'm not hugely keen on a test cut. But I will test the SG, which should be telling.

Beginner345 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Who gives a Hoot?!

Just kidding. Nice purchase.
    I'm not a big ancients collector but over the years I have purchased about 6 simple examples. Jan 2019 I will be attending the NYINC Show here in NYC where I am looking to purchase a nice Owl for myself.

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Are you concerned about the style? I wonder if it's from an eastern mint. But I'm certainly no expert.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There is nothing wrong with the style of this coin. I see many good points in the coin as a representative of what it is. As listed, it is from a century well after the peak of Athenian power. The fine style owls that everyone wants had all been sealed away in huge pots waiting for them to be discovered and slabbed by modern collectors. The monetary needs of the day were met by coins of what we might call lesser quality. Some were made by hammering other coins flat and folding them over a couple times to make a new lump on which the then current coins could be made. The days of going to the rich silver mines had passed. They did with what they had. That is also what some of us have to do when we collect. Currently there are a huge number of EF owls of fine style from a recent hoard on the market in the $1000 to $2000 range. If you have to have one of those, don't expect someone to give it to you for $400. I have earlier, Classical owls with 'problems', later 4th century owls with problems, smaller denominations in several sizes and the bunch adds up to less than one perfect tetradrachm. You pay your money and make your choices.
    test cut Classical
    g41190bb0913.jpg

flat struck Classical
    g41195bb3159.jpg

4th century
    g41288bb2705.jpg

obol (1/24th tetradrachm)
    g41180bb0229.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on adding an owl! Nothing about it struck me as "off" but no one pays for my opinion so keep that in mind. ;)

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Have you gotten that Owl yet? I gave you some suggestions for NON-Tets :)

How about some more Owls from the Borg??? At least I KNOW these are not "fakes", as they were tested around the time of issue.

[BTW, I would NEVER recommend a "test cut" on ANY of my Ancients... Rather, I go perform RESEARCH to compare and learn...

I am concerned about all the non-experts spouting off about "fakes" when people post their coins. I refuse to do this, as I never purport to be an expert. Rather, I focus on researching my coins. I definitely want to KNOW, but I really do not like an "opinion" session, voting whether a coin is fake or not. My druthers would be an expert opinion backed up with facts.

Now, back to the story...]

These are Tets, tested and true during their circulation:
    Athens Owl 16.8g  22x6-5mm Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63.jpg
    Athens Owl 16.8g 22x6-5mm Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63

upload_2018-11-27_9-18-23.png
    Athens Owl AR Tet 17.4g 20.4mm x 7.5mm Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63 edge-crud

(LOL, not tested, just a lot of crud)
    upload_2018-11-27_9-19-4.png
    Athens Owl AR Tet 17.3g 22.9mm x 6.8mm thick Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63 crud

(uh-oh...Owl lost his head... LOL, now I am terrified it must be fake fake fake...)
    Athens Owl AR Tet 17.2g  22mm x 6.7mm thick Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63.jpg
    Athens Owl AR Tet 17.2g 22mm x 6.7mm thick Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks like a nice owl, congrats.

[​IMG]
    Attica, Athens (353 - 294 B.C)
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: Helmeted head of Athena right
    R: AΘE Owl standing right, head facing, olive sprig and crescent to left; all within incuse square.
    16.59g
    21 mm
    Kroll -; HGC 4, 1599

Ex. Numismatik-Naumann, Auction 52, Lot 126

16. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

17. Beginner345

I know NGC doesn't guaranteed authenticity, but they are pretty good at

They wont slab something they think is fake- they have made mistakes before buts its rare

I usually dislike NGC slabbed because I prefer to handle my coins.. and they are 50-200% X more $$$ in a slab.

but if I had to get an Athenian Owl? I might get it slabbed- then open the slab up. Might put my mind at easy for spending that much

but not the 8000 dollar ones!

maybe $1k-$2k
    speaking of fake NGCs? This might be one
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ancient-At...kClX:sc:USPSFirstClass!08080!US!-1:rk:38:pf:0

Finish/color seems a bit off

18. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I believe it is time for me to push the "IGNORE" button on the Fake-Drama poster after constantly posting ebay listings for "fake" advice.

Everyone has given advice to help him, but after reviewing his postings, 90% of them are a constant stream of "fake" this and and "can you tell me about ebay" that...

This reminds me of a prior poster that always screamed "fake", under another name... hmmm... I wonder...

upload_2018-11-27_10-43-50.png

20. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

For the love of all things good, DO NOT PUT A TEST CUT ON THAT COIN! Just because the ancients did it doesn't mean we should. I've kept my mouth shut about some posts but that may be the single worst advice that I have read in the year that I have been on this site. Someone posts a new coin that they are proud of and the first thing posted is, are you sure it is genuine? How about, "Nice looking coin! Way to go!!" or "Man, I wish I knew more about these." I am new but seasoned enough to say that is a good looking coin right there. Even if it isn't from Athens hey day.
    PS, Nice looking coin! Way to go!!!

21. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Beginner345, give it up with the "fakes"! You're just manifesting your ignorance repeatedly.

There is nothing in the listing you show here to indicate that this NGC slab is fake. The seller states (& the slab indicates) it is former jewelry, thus the low price & what you perceive to be "Finish/color seems a bit off".

Further, if you look at his other offerings, they are considerable & he seems focused. And as well, he has 14.4K feedbacks, over 2,100 last 12 months & only "1" neg.

Certainly not proof, but not anything for you to keep throwing around the "fake" innuendo. (Btw, I am not, & I do not know the seller!)

If you respond to this, I will not get it because I now have you on ignore. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted