My first Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jintoh44, Mar 24, 2017.

1. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Mighty questionable to me....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jeremy J

Jeremy J Member

My first wasn't anything to brag about. Maybe I can't remember my first or I just want to forget. I do remember my first, and only, slabbed Morgan 1887 MS-63, beautifully toned reverse.

Attached Files:

Jintoh44 likes this.
  4. Dough

Dough My brain is open

Compare that 1880 Morgan to the same seller's 1951 Franklin half and 2006 American Eagle

When the colors are that consistent it's no longer an experiment. It's a method.

SilverMike likes this.
  5. Jintoh44

Jintoh44 Member

Nice coin, love the gold reverse tone. I know its AT but I ended up getting it anyway; I'm an Ebay'ers wet dream, can't stand to loose a bid once I start!

I didn't know what SilverMike meant by VAM, NOW I do and am hooked already. I looked at my one Morgan until my eyes bled and I think its a VAM-21; only thing I can't see too well to be sure is the eye gouge and I think its because its worn away.

6. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

There are a number of people on this site who excel with VAMs (I am not one of those people). There is a VAM website, VAMWorld, that is a great reference site. I have bad eyes and finally invested in a USB microscope, which helped immensely with seeing some of the detail.

7. Jintoh44

Jintoh44 Member

Yes sir that is where I went. I've worn glasses since I was 3-4 so I know what means; if I don't have the power of the sun 2 feet away I can't see anything either even with my loop.

What did you get in a USB if I may ask, I got one but sent it back, didn't like how it washed out the color when the whole coin was in view.

8. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I just got one on Amazon for around $35 - there is a tremendous price differential among them but I just wanted a basic one. I know there are some threads on the board about these that probably can give you more specifics.

Draft saved Draft deleted