My first Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jintoh44, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jintoh44

Jintoh44 Member

1880 O (forgot to add that)

I've started collecting within the last few months and have been focusing on cents but every time I go into the coin shop I always look at the Morgan's. Never wasted the guys time to take one out though until today and between the look and the feel/heaviness I had to have it.

Collecting them would be a costly proposition with limited funds so I don't know if I'd try to pursue it in any real way but wanted to see what everyone thought on how I did with this one.

Paid $45, I think it looks like EF-45 maybe AU-50 (practicing this grading thing as well, think the ding on the rev side bottom prevents 50).
    Thanks for looking. IMG_1007.JPG IMG_1011.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice. I remember my first. I think lol... Thousands later.

They're addicting. And if you start VAMming you can forget about any other series. It is more addictive than high grade Mexican heroin. And that's not a joke.

Brett_in_Sacto, Kentucky, NSP and 4 others like this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It's as @Cascade said, you've just had your first hit. Good luck kicking the habit now. Unless you quit cold turkey right now and never buy another, you will get addicted to them. Your local dealer just got a new definition.

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Nice hefty REAL money!

fish4uinmd likes this.
  6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

The heft definitely makes an impression. I always think "wow, these used to actually buy things! Had I lived back then, would I have really traded one of these silver morsels for mere goods and services?"

It definitely makes one ponder on the evolving value of money over the past century and a half...

SilverMike likes this.
  7. Jintoh44

Jintoh44 Member

That was great and yes I think I've looked at it so much I've decreased its grading :). It really is cool owning something like this. There was another one right next to it, same year, mint, etc that someone absolutely ruined by cleaning it.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

9. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Love the Morgans...especially since there are so many ways to collect them. VAMs, toners, condition, date only, mint only, GSAs only....the list goes on and on. Something for everyone.

Cascade likes this.
  10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Morgan,s are really cool still very collectable and at a reasonable price point

11. Jintoh44

Jintoh44 Member

Yes I do have to get a better setup to take pics of my coins but no there is indication of a 7 under there.

Cascade likes this.
  12. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club.

13. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

@Jintoh44 A nice coin to start your "obsession" with Morgans. Morgans with "O" mm are notorious for poor strikes, yours looks average, maybe above average. Wait until you get hooked on the "CC's"!

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Good strikes on earlier New Orleans Morgans are common; it took them a few years to learn how to be that bad at it. :)

JAY-AR likes this.
  15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And Philly never could make up its mind :p

16. mpcusa

Love the CC,S :)

17. Jintoh44

Jintoh44 Member

Yup I've already started my research on CCs..sigh my wife isn't going to like this :).

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  18. mpcusa

Unfortunately there the high dollar version :( of the Morgan Dollar

19. Dough

Dough My brain is open

Attached Files:

SilverMike and Jintoh44 like this.
  20. Jintoh44

Jintoh44 Member

Coin dealer had a Morgan, not sure of the year/mint as it was a bit more then I wanted to spend but it had a fairly nice rainbow effect. Didn't even occur to me it may be AT since I know nothing about Morgans...yet. Now I'm curious and will probably go back and look at it again, at the very least see if the raised parts are different.

thanks Dough.

21. Jintoh44

Jintoh44 Member

Here we go, I'm looking at acquiring another Morgan. As indicated coming close to completing a CC collection would be financially prohibitive so I thought why not just start adding to the one 1880 I got.

Armed with Jhon E. Cash's site I see this up:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/282404804129?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

To my extremely untrained eye it doesn't appear to be AT but it also seems to good/evenly toned not to be?

I know a morgan is a morgan but I also don't want to be drawn in by someones science experiment. What does everyone think?

Draft saved Draft deleted