My first Massachusetts copper

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 4, 2022.

?

Bearing mind the differences in photo quality, which do you think was the better deal?

1. PCGS VF30 ($800 ask, $725 negotiated) - professionally photographed

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. NGC VF30 ($550) - amateur photos shot through the plastic

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

100% agree. The NGC coin has considerably more wear, far less details, looks much darker, and has a rough texture. Ignoring price completely (I don't know what values on these are), judging solely by the pictures, the PCGS coin is *considerably* nicer.

Literally the only thing I can say about the NGC coin is that the date is complete and clear, which it is not on the PCGS coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Going strictly by the attractiveness of the coins and the price, I would have probably passed on both of them. The PCGS coin is more attractive: It retains more reverse detail, has better color, and aside from what appear to be obverse near-rim planchet flaws at K6 to K 9 and weakish obverse strike around the edges, it's just a prettier coin.

The NGC coin has a less attractive darker toning, retains less detail on both obverse and reverse, has what appears to be a rough field but is better struck particularly around the obverse edge.

When I'm faced with a choice like this, I usually pass while waiting for a better example. But, if forced to choose, I would have picked the PCGS coin since I think its positives outweigh the positives of the NGC coin. I also think the PCGS coin's negatives are less negative than the NGC coin.

Price: Once I've made a purchase, I seldom think about the price ever again. The pleasure of a low price dissipates much faster than the regret of having purchased a less-desirable coin.

That's all just my personal opinion. If your feelings about the coin you selected are more positive, and especially if the coin in-hand looks better than posted, then you probably made the right choice.

Anyway, I like the Mass cents and half cents a lot. I think it is one of the better designed and struck pre-Federal state coins. Any Mass state coin is better than no Mass state coin.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I do have it in hand. I'm the one who took those wretched pictures of it! LOL

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I would have paid a bit more for the Pcgs. I’d have potentially bought the ngc for resale. But the pcgs would have been for me I like eye appeal. That’s why I’m not afraid to step up for a pretty coin. But I won’t pass a good deal either

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

3B8BA438-3C49-434B-AC11-5B2D3F2BC8AB.jpeg 892872A3-A390-4469-AE8C-BD16B2D19C17.jpeg My example. I’ve had it for years

7. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Just a note, my half cent is a struck counterfeit:D...

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I bought this one for $100 raw back in the mid 1980s. NGC called it "EF-45," which it isn't, but it does have good color and surfaces. This is the kind of color and surfaces you want to see for these coins in VF and better.

Mass cent All.jpg

Mainebill, Anthony Mazza and Chris B like this.
  9. johnmilton

Yes, there are some "nice looking" struck copies of the Massachusetts copper. The "trouble" with them is that they look too good, thank goodness.

I am surprised that some of these haven't been "aged" and sold for the real thing.

Mass cent copy.jpg

Here is an AU-58 example of the real thing.

1788 Mass Cent a All.jpg

Mainebill, ksparrow and Chris B like this.
  10. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

For comparison sake here is a VF25 I bought in Heritage a few months ago for $552. The smooth surfaces were a big draw for me. A bit of a stable and original greenish tinge on the obverse and the rest glossy brown. I would be curious to hear opinions. I do think that the OP’s PCGS example is a cut above in everything but the price.

76DB9ECC-88E6-4091-9BCC-49638AD8FCE6.jpeg 9F703FBF-D1BF-471F-91F1-936B5FC4073C.jpeg 03DF0489-0D45-49CD-A2A4-528EA0BC0568.jpeg C721F660-D163-4FE8-BA31-83FF1672667C.jpeg

11. lordmarcovan

Only two bucks more than I paid for my NGC VF30 in the OP, and a lot nicer, I daresay! The strike seems better, and so do the surfaces (though I don’t think the surfaces on mine are quite so bad as they look in the present photographs in the OP).

KSorbo likes this.
  12. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

I don't like the 1st coin at All!
    Not one bit.
    I do not like them in a box.
    I do not like them with a fox.
    I do not like them here or there.
    I do not like them anywhere!
    I do not like them, sam-i-am.

For one thing the 1st coin does not have a clear date. Even Vertigo's fr-02 1788 has a readable date.

13. lordmarcovan

Update:

Well, I’ve got Photovision images of the NGC coin I bought, now.

ED779CC0-B0D4-43B9-A08E-82396E89C066.png F4A27F52-7881-431E-9FF4-E50A0FBEAE84.png

I do think the other (PCGS) coin in the original post had slightly better eye appeal (color), but this NGC coin in the same grade was the better buy for the money, considering how much cheaper it was. I don’t think it’s bad looking.

14. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Terrific looking coins!! Wow. Only usually see dug specimens.
    Now you have to get started on the CT. Coppers. Those are challenging to figure out!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

You’re lucky to live in an area where such things are dug. Some colonial coppers made their way South down here- a buddy of mine dug a Nova Constellatio- but we don’t get the variety of stuff coming out of the ground like y’all do up there in Yankeeland. I’d imagine we do dig a bit more Spanish silver than y’all do, though.

16. SensibleSal66

Yeah. I know. I've gotten a Fugio and a 1787 CT copper. I have the Fugio in my media, but I'll have to dig out my CT copper and take pics. Hopefully it's in good shape! :nailbiting:
    I have a former friend who has had excellent luck. He's gotten Fugio's, a Nova, Mass. Coppers plus more!!

17. lordmarcovan

I had a friend up thataway who dug three Massachusetts silvers- an Oak Tree and a pair of Pine Tree shillings! Right before he unexpectedly died young, as it happens. RIP, Tim. He went out with a bang!

Mainebill likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

I’d LOVE to have dug a Fugio cent, no matter how rough!

19. SensibleSal66

Sorry for your loss man. That's a nice feat! I saw one Pine tree dug at a "Natural hunt" once. I didn't find squat that day. Ughh!
    Anyways. Check out my Media for Fugio Pics.! LOL.

20. johnmilton

A few observations.

When I was a dealer at a show, and a potential customer asked me if he could take a coin to another dealer to ask his opinion, I was almost certain it would be thumbs down, and I was almost always right. Other dealers are out to sell you coins, and it’s natural for them to be tougher on the competition’s product. It’s better if you can get an opinion from an experienced fellow collector “who does not have a dog in the fight.”

Better still is to have the expertise and confidence to form your own opinion. I have sometimes taken the advice of others and later regretted it.

Second, I know I have more resources than some, but I try to buy the coin “right” the first time and have a coin that is a “keeper.” Upgrading can get expensive because when you trade a coin to a dealer for something better, it’s usually your wholesale price against his retail price.

If the price difference is not that much, I’m going for the better, more expensive coin. Unless the next grade up involves spending significantly more, I am going for the better coin.

There are pieces that I call “threshold coins.” They are in the highest grade before the prices go nuts. I tend to buy those except in those instances when it’s a really important coin in my collection. Then I might pay the high price to get a coin that really pleases me now and well into the future.

Chris B likes this.
  21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The Amateur. The coin is a bit weaker but the date is clear, I like it. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted