Featured My first Kushan Kingdom - Vima Kadphises Didrachm (and a Book Recommendation)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Oct 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you! @Curtisimo
    Cool, I have a DiDrachm that may had served as a Tet. DIdrachm sized coins (approx 8+ grams) are a favorite of mine: Pre-Reform Roman Heavy Denarius, Greek DiDrachm, Carthage Shekel, etc. Fun size!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Marsyas Mike and Curtisimo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great addition! I alsolike Kushan coinage, here is one of mine....

AV Dinara ND Peshawar Mint
    Kanishaka I 125-52AD
    Kushan Empire
    obv. King Standing
    rev. Mao (Moon God) 539ea2538bb1d68c4b9b84a5ba02e738.jpg 1fb461a100d9bdea6c834f9b113eb525.jpg

4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice coin and thanks for the book recommendation! I find Kushan history and coins fascinating, and wonder why they seem to get so little attention from most ancient coin collectors. One the other hand, this also is not too bad since it keeps Kushan coins affordable.

Here are two of mine:

Kushan – Vima Takto.png
    Vima Takto, Kushan Empire, AE didrachm (?), ca. 80–95 AD, Taxila mint? Obv: Radiate (nine rays) and diademed bust r., holding sceptre; to l., tamgha. Rev: BACIΛЄωN Cω[THP MЄΓA]C; crowned and diademed king on horseback r., raising r. hand and holding reins in l. 20mm, 8.06g. Ref: Mitchiner 2941–2943.

Kushan – Vima Kadphises.png
    Vima Kadphises, Kushan Empire, ca. 90–100 AD. Obv: BACIΛE[ΥC BACIΛEωN] CWTHP MEΓAC OOHM KAΔΦICHC, Kadphises, standing facing, head l., sacrificing over altar to l, and holding hand on hilt; to l., trident; to r., tamgha and club. Rev: Kharoshthi legend; Siva standing facing, holding trident; behind, the bull Nandi standing r.; Buddhist triratana ("Three Jewels") to l. 28mm, 16.8 g. Ref.: Göbl 762. Ex AMCC 1, lot 307.

Attached Files:

coin_nut, Paul M., panzerman and 4 others like this.
  5. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

I recommend this

https://www.academia.edu/6882687/Coin_Weight_and_Historical_Metrology

see pages 145 - 149

to summarize (my best guesses)

The Soter Megas AE is a slightly degraded Attic didrachm standard

The Vima Kadphises AE is just it double, Attic Tetradrachm.

The Great Kushan gold is a different standard – apparently exactly 8.0g and equating to 80 rattis. It seems to derive from Attic but changed to fit the Hindu system

The 9.6g silver standard of the Indo-Greeks and Scyths is a 96 ratti coin. That seems to have a different source altogether, its roots in a Hindu weight system dating back to 2,600 BC or earlier.

I discussed most of this with Joe Cribb on the phone a few weeks back, and I do not recall he disagreed any of it.

Rob T

6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing that, Rob. That certainly clarifies the Kushans for me. As for that paper, what thorough research combined with a well-organized overview. I've only just started in, but I look forward to reading this.

Being a numbers dunce, I am easily confused by the weight standards-aspect of numismatics, but from what I've looked at so far, I think this will be a pleasure to read and use. Thanks again!

7. That's quite a nice coin and the legends are clearly visible. A fine start to Kushan and related coinage. With this one, I suspect it won't be your last!

Theodosius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  8. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Thanks Stuart. I got lucky with this one, I think. Welcome to Coin Talk!

9. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I see it was just over 3 years ago I started buying Silk Road coins from India and South Asia in general. Now I have about 260 of them and there is no end in sight. I have yet to get a decent Kushan. Here are a few examples. You can right click on the picture and then do "inspect", I think. The file names are self explanatory. I don't know where I would be without zeno.ru. They are an invaluable resource in identifying such coins.
    24-124 Nahapana obv.JPG 24-124 Nahapana rev.JPG 255-278 WS Rudrasena II obv (2).JPG 255-278 WS Rudrasena II rev (2).JPG 800-1300 Gadhaiya Paisa obv (5).JPG 800-1300 Gadhaiya Paisa rev (5).JPG 1003-1028 Kashmir 1 p obv-crop.JPG 1003-1028 Kashmir 1 p rev.JPG 1197-1200 Queen Lilavati obv (2).JPG 1197-1200 Queen Lilavati rev (2).JPG

10. ToJoRo83

ToJoRo83 New Member

I got that coin

Marsyas Mike likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted