Featured My first Islamic (Umayyad) Byzantine Imitation (I think)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I got this by accident in an eBay lot and had a hard time attributing it. I thought it was Constans II or something from Heraclius. Apparently this is an Islamic imitation of a Byzantine follis - I found a couple of others online in auction records (see my attribution notes below).

Interestingly, they both had the same fake Byzantine reign-date, although mine is out of order compared to the two I found in auctions. I enhanced some of the details, since my specimen is pretty cruddy. That loopy thing around the emperor seems to be a characteristic of these Umayyad imitations - I've never really seen that on a Byzantine coin, although many of you out there have a lot more experience than I do at this sort of thing.

Any corrections would be welcome. And please share any of this sort of thing you might have.

Byz-Islamic Imit. lot Aug 2019 (0).jpg

Umayyad Caliphate Æ Fals
    Mu'awiya I ibn Abi Sufyan
    (c. 660s - 680 A.D.)
    Dimashq (Damascus) Mint

Standing imperial figure, with long cross & globus cruciger; [bird] on T left, Λ/Є/O r. /
    Large M; staurogram above, (crescent below?); A/N/O left; II/Ч/X right; ΔAMI in exergue.
    (4.69 grams / 18 mm)

Attribution Notes:

This specimen is very similar to lots in CNG: eAuction 298 and Classical Numismatic Group - Electronic Auction 443, Lot 672. Both lots have reverse dates X/Ч/II to right; this one is in different order: II/Ч/X
    SICA I, 560-2; Walker 7; DOCAB 49-51; Album 3517.1.

Byz-Islamic Imit. lot Aug 2019 (0 det) (1).jpg

Byz-Islamic Imit. lot Aug 2019 (0 det) (2).jpg

Nas, Pellinore, Ryro and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Very cool!
    I know very little about Byzantine coins and this would've fooled me.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...kool...these are ancient coins that have a place in history too...:)

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Great job attributing your coin, @Marsyas Mike and well illustrated. Here's a coin that may be in this category - I have not been able to clearly attribute.
    Arab Byzantine.jpg
    Contemporary Imitation? or Heraclius, 613-643, AE Follis, Constantinople Mint
    Obv: Full-length figures on Heraclius, Heraclius Constantine on right, (Martina, on left?) all facing each wearing crown and chlamys and holding globus-cruciger
    Rev: Large "M", A below, + above, monogram left, X/Ч/II to right, CON in exergue
    Size: 25mmx22.5mm, 8.36g

6. Marsyas Mike

That is very interesting, Sulla80. It is hard for me to say whether it is Byzantine or an imitation - it has the same date arrangement as my OP and the others I found, but the two figures on the front are considerably different. That the "CON" is clearly there is different too. Interesting. From what (very) little I know, these Islamic-Byzantine types are extensive and pretty bewildering.

Sulla80 likes this.
  7. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Your attribution looks right. The coin looks like #46-48 from Foss' book "Arab-Byzantine Coins: An Introduction, with a Catalogue of the Dumbarton Oaks Collection" (Clive Foss, ISBN: 978-0-88402-318-0, Paperback, 2008). I'm sure it's available in multiple places.

-Broucheion

8. Marsyas Mike

Thank you for that reassurance Broucheion. I am very, very new to this kind of material (this is my first one, actually) - so I need all the help I can get.

7Calbrey and Broucheion like this.
  9. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here's one from my old folders. They are classified as Arab-Byzantine. They were issued after the occupation of Byzantine cities by Arabs during the second half of the seventh century. The following coin has the name of Homs (Emesa) in right field of obverse, engraved in Arabic. Hope that could help a bit. Good Luck.

ByzArHoms.jpg ByzArHom R.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Pellinore and Bing like this.
  10. Marsyas Mike

That is a lovely example. Nice strike, patina, etc.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted