My First Hammered Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by shernan30, Jul 19, 2015.

1. shernan30

shernan30 Hammered Saxon Coins

I picked up my first hammered coins today. Very excited by these coins. I looked at thousands on US coins and these were really the only ones that had me smiling the whole way home. I hope to add more in the future, but first I have some more reading to do. Need to know what I'm buying the next time, lol.

Sorry for the bad pictures. I will get the coin photo stuff figured out soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345180.977226.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345191.691070.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345199.022082.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345206.289289.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I look forward to seeing pictures of the coin out of the 2X2. Be careful and don't scratch the coin with the staples as you remove them.

Jwt708, swamp yankee and derkerlegand like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice stuff! I need an Ed. I myself.

5. shernan30

Here are a much better photos/scans of the coins.

Bailen 2.jpeg Bailen.jpeg
    Bailen 3.jpeg Bailen 1.jpeg

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

much better indeed!
    nice lookin' coins...one like your first is on my to get list.

7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Very nice coins, sir. Especially - one penny of Edward I.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

Edward 1 1272-1307---long reign so coins fairly common-the reverse will show the mint-I think that this is civitas London----many more mints interesting collecting theme---coin made of silver

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

Hammered coins feel so old and very different to modern. Truly coming out of the tudor medieval era. Finding out about long / short cross. heraldic designs etc can be a joy. Have you access to a good book that covers hammered coins?

HammeredCoin likes this.
  11. shernan30

I just ordered the Spink (Seaby) guide to British coins last night. Are there any other books you recommend? There are so many out there I'm hoping the book I ordered will help me get started.

HammeredCoin likes this.
  12. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

You ordered the Spink Coins of England? It is a great resource. I love it. It is somewhat addictive though.

13. shernan30

That's the one. Do you happen to know when their edition on coins of Scotland is suppose to release? My wife's heritage is Scottish making it much easier to buy coins from there.

Any pointers you may have as I start my collection would be great.

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I'm totally hammered!!

Lorraine, Duke of Lorraine, Theobald II
    1303-1312 AD
    Theobald II on Horse & Sword w Eagles (Alerions)
    Lorraine Duche de Lorraine Thiebaut II.jpg

... always a winner ...

:rolleyes:

sgt23, coolhandred, ffrickey and 7 others like this.
  15. shernan30

That's an awesome coin!!

stevex6 likes this.
  16. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

Attached Files:

HammeredCoin and tulipone like this.
  17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I love this coin, especially the obverse! Where can I find one like it? :)

stevex6 likes this.
  18. peter1234

peter1234 Member

Try England's striking history.
    A good read and very imformative

19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

To piggy-back off of Peter, the Seaby catalogue also has plentiful lists of 'additional reading' for each major coinage. If a particular series strikes your fancy, try to find one of those other books or get your library to track down a copy (local university library might be best, as many of the books on hammered coins look to be more academic reading...)

20. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I meant to add this earlier, but I had to leave - here is my first Hammered Coin (forgive the photos, I'm still trying to improve on my photography...):
    Richard Aquitaine.jpg

This is a Richard I penny from the Duchy of Aquitaine (If I remember correctly - I bought this in the 90s and didn't keep good records at the time - I'm waiting for the new Seaby Catalogue with Anglo-Gallic coins to come out to categorize it...). During Richard's reign as King of England, he was only in the country for a couple of months, and the coinage continued to carry the name of his father, Henry II:
    RI.jpg

This penny bears the name 'Henricus,' but has been struck during Richard's reign (the number of dots on the crown is the give-away. Unfortunately I don't have my Catalogue on me to give the Seaby number...).

21. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Hammered coins can be addictive...
    There are a lot of affordable issues out there, especially among eastern European coins (Poland, Hungary, Russia, etc.)
    English hammered has a special place in my heart.

HammeredCoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted