My first GTG, a 1924 SLQ.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LA_Geezer, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@Hamilcar Barca, @Brina, @LA_Geezer
    I must correct you. TRUST is spelled correctly! TRVST is the Latin spelling of TRUST. The Standing Liberty Quarters were all spelled with the Latin spelling, as were the Peace Dollars.

The designer used the Latin spelling because of the V. WWI was in full swing at the time this series was first minted so the designer used the Latin spelling and the V in TRUST was known, nationality, for Victory!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Actually, I must correct you... the Latin spelling for TRUST is FIDUCIA. The designer used the V instead of the letter U just for design purposes... no other reasons.

So, "Is it spelled incorrectly?"... not according to the designer.

4. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

If it's not been cleaned (can't tell by pics) It will go 63-64 . Nicely struck also
    Not full head

LA_Geezer likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

According to an Internet reference from one of the top TPG's I am correct. TRUST is not spelled in Latin on the coin. The English spelling of TRVST is correct.

6. Collecting Nut

I must also state that in Latin there is no letter U. V is used instead.

7. Collecting Nut

PS. The only Latin that has ever been used by the Mint or BEP is the traditional motto E PLURIBUS UNUM. It means "out of many, one" in Latin. It not only appears on coins and bills but is on the Gtest Seal.

The motto was suggested by the first Great Seal committee in 1776. Consultant and artist Pierre Du Simitière chose the Latin motto, and his design expresses this theme.

In Thomson's 1782 sketch, for the final design, Charles Thomson put this motto on a scroll held in the Bald Ragle's beak.

"E pluribus unum" is a clear reference to the 13 original colonies united into one nation – symbolized by the shield on the eagle's breast. As explained in the official description of the Great Seal, the thirteen vertical stripes "represent the several states all joined in one solid compact entire, supporting a Chief, which unites the whole & represents Congress. The Motto alludes to this union."

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

You're confusing Ancient Roman with Latin.
    Latin uses the letter U... Ancient Roman does not.
    Don't be inscius. You can't always trust what's on the internet.

9. Collecting Nut

Ok, I give up. You're correct and every TPG, all the coin publishers and coin experts are wrong. Every source of the spelling of TRVST is incorrect.

Please notify the US Mint that their information regarding TRVST is also a mistake and don't forget to tell the Mint officials that every Standing Liberty Quarter and Peace Dollar they minted have Trust spelled incorrectly. I quess that makes them all errors but no TPG will give you that attribution. Why? Because it's spelled in English correctly!

And read all the coin books and articles by numerous authors and tell them that they are wrong as well.

And the only thing I know about Ancient Roman are the numerals.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  10. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I would be satisfied if this coin graded at this level. As I noted, most slabbed coins with that grade are priced higher than the $81 I paid for this one.

I don't see dipped, BTW.

11. LA_Geezer

I don't see a full head either.

12. LA_Geezer

Here too:
    [​IMG]

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Almost certainly cleaned or dipped. Most coins from that series are toned in a battleship grey hue. This one has altered surfaces, to make it blast white. Thee series, for the most part, was well circulated. Yes, it was inexpensive, but also acknowledge that there is a reason it was probably 1/2 the price of an equivalent certified—it was cleaned, and/or overdipped. I see evidence of that on the photos.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

That spelling occurred on all Standing Liberty Quarters and Peace Dollars.

15. LA_Geezer

Any others?

16. Collecting Nut

Not to my knowledge.

17. LA_Geezer

Pardon me for my poor photographic equipment and skills. I don't pretend to be anything other than an admirer of @RonSanderson who could teach us all a thing or two about photographing coins. Please don't laugh at my efforts here. As you will see below, the images taken with my 2006 model Kodak digital camera leave a lot to be desired, and although the eye surgeon who removed my cataracts last summer claims my vision to be about 20-20, I do use reading glasses to do the crosswords every day and to examine coin images online.

The coin arrived today, very well packed and with a lagniappe I had completely forgotten about, a 13¢ postage stamp with the Indian Head cent on it. My memory escapes me about this, but I can assure you, the seller knows how to please his customers. And this is no customer who has anything other than to say that this SLQ is even more astonishing to me than I even hoped for. I may well send it in for certification, but then, maybe not. It matches well my 1920 SLQ in visual quality.
    24.SLQ.OBV.jpg 24SLQ.REV.jpg

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. LA_Geezer

I was just joshing you.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

I'm not quite with it yet. The funeral was yesterday, hot and humid but it didn't pour until several hours afterwards. Last night was two good thunderstorms.

20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Not criticizing your photography. Just stating that I am virtually certain that the coin was cleaned, or overdipped. It would not straight grade, and others have stated that, as well. If you like the coin, great. Just know that if you did try and send it for grading, it would return in a details slab. Looking at the current set of pictures, I would say “AU details—cleaned”

micbraun likes this.
  21. LA_Geezer

I'd hire you in a minute if I were out there dealing with others who were about to skin me alive or if I need a proxy at an auction.

Draft saved Draft deleted