My first graded coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by imprezax06, Apr 26, 2017.

1. imprezax06

imprezax06 Active Member

I would like to share my fist graded coin. Exiting stuff I must admit I've been collecting for about 6 years. So here it is my very first slab 1881 Morgan Dollar Mcclaren collection ms62 IMG_2493.JPG IMG_2494.JPG IMG_2495.JPG IMG_2497.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Super coin! Very nice photos too.

4. imprezax06

imprezax06 Active Member

Thanks using an iPhone lol

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice coin and good pics!

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Congrats on first slab. How'd you take such nice photos with your iPhone?

imprezax06 likes this.
  7. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

Nice, congrats

8. imprezax06

imprezax06 Active Member

You'll laugh if I tell you. I stole the idea from a member here on coin talk. I use a toilet paper roll and cheep Walmart light fixture.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's a pretty darn nice 62.

IPhones are the bomb for shooting coins. His images are nice, but they do not touch what the phone is capable of.

10. imprezax06

imprezax06 Active Member

Could you elaborate on what the phone is capable of ?

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Whatever works! MacGyver style it is! Some folks spend a lot of money trying to take photos of their coins.

12. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Good for you.

13. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I'd say it's very nice for a 62.

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've seen better, but I think this is a pretty good iPhone shot. IMG_2036.JPG

imprezax06 likes this.
  15. imprezax06

imprezax06 Active Member

Wow that looks really good. What's your technique if you don't mind sharing it. I'm always learning.

16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I can't do near as good as that but 4-4 1/2" is how far I keep my phone from the surface. I don't have any maginfication things either.

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Like you, you'll laugh when I tell you. I took a dining room chair and flipped it upside down on another chair to raise the height enough to use the lighting of my celing fan. Then just hand held my phone with it zoomed in slightly. It was edited with the free photoscape.

I must have deleted the obverse shot, but here is the raw shot of the reverse. IMG_2034.JPG

18. imprezax06

imprezax06 Active Member

Hahahahhb that sure sounds like an interesting way of doing it. Toilet paper ceiling fans chairs cheep light fixture all for a good picture.

Kirkuleez and Coinman1974 like this.
  19. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Awesome photos, Congrats on the first slab, and I am going to have to seriously think outside the box when I take anymore photos....LOL

20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

It would be great if you could post this in the US Coins forum. There is a thread called Morgan tutorial where there are talking about the 81S.

Draft saved Draft deleted