My first gold- where should I start?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Evan Saltis, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I have been staying away from the internet, and now have the means to purchase my first tiny little gold coin. My cash budget is 400 dollars, but I would be willing to give away some other bits and pieces of my collection if it means I have a nice coin I will enjoy greatly :shame:

$1 coins are nice, but I saw some Constantinian gold that caught my eye too, although there is less PM value in it.

My friends- enlighten me!

GoldFinger1969 and MIGuy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

go for a quarter eagle bought my first last year paid $280 im planning on getting a half eagle this year

MIGuy likes this.
  4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

If I were in your position @Evan Saltis, I'd wait for gold prices to decline, but I'd consider any of the following coins. I'm also assuming you don't want any modern bullion coins or anything post-1933.

Quarter Eagle
    A Byzantine Histamenon or Tremissis
    British Sovereign
    1926 American Sesquicentennial $2.50

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Evan Saltis and MIGuy like this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I haven't been buying gold for a while due to this roller coaster ride. I'll offer this. Pre-33 gold comes with a tangible history. That's what makes it so enjoyable to me. I also think the the incused Indians are very enjoyable to own as your "first gold". They are beautiful and interesting. I bet you could find an indian quarter eagle in your price range. Try to buy from somebody you know. And I hate to darken the excitement, but Chinese gold seems to be done far better than Chinese silver coins. When you do buy, post a photo of course!

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

With gold prices so high right now, I think I would wait and do my research and when the price was right, buy one that struck my fancy.

7. Evan Saltis

Of course I'd wait it out- but now I have a little set aside to start looking.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I'm a British Sovereign guy. You can get them for a couple of dollars over melt from U.S. dealers.

9. charley

charley Well-Known Member

i would strongly endorse this post. excellent.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Quarter eagle,half eagle,british sovereign and 1/2.

11. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Justinian - a nice Solidus has just about the best intrinsic/numismatic price ratio out of any gold coin. This one cost about $350 for 4.5g of nearly pure gold (when gold was a bit cheaper 2 years ago)
    Justinian Solidus VICTORIA AVGGG.jpg

Byzantine coins of the earlier period come in solidus (1) semis(1/2) and tremissis (1/3) denominations - the fractions are cheaper, but generally not proportionally so.

If you just want "any" gold, there is of course plentiful inexpensive options from India, including the Itty bitty (5-10mm!) fanams from South India - only about 1/3 of a gram, but they also only cost about $20 and are 200+ years old. My little Krishnaraja is one of the more interesting designs, cost $25, and you can fit three abreast on top of a US dime!
    Mysore Krishnaraja wodeyar III fanam.jpg

Evan Saltis and fretboard like this.
  12. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I like the Indian $2.50 piece . I don't know what I paid but their an awesome coin to own , I just wish I had mine still . I assume their more than $400 though . Good Luck Evan .:)

13. Evan Saltis

before I even drafted this threat I was looking at a Constans II tremissis. I probably will not get it as the one I found is a little crude for my first piece. I will likely go for a $1 gold. The Indian $2.5, honestly doesn't get me going. I suppose I don't like the style.

14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

One dollar gold coins are really pricey, usually right around $300 on feebay and you hardly ever see them at coin shops and when you do they're usually graded examples that are priced very high. As far as weight goes, one dollar gold coins are a terrible investment, jmho. You could buy an American Gold Eagle Coin if you wanted and if you just bought a 1/10 you'd still have money left over. :D Below is a 1991 and the date is in Roman Numerals. Terrible pics but you get the idea!

IMG_0199.jpg IMG_0201.jpg IMG_0198.jpg IMG_0200.jpg

15. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I know they made the 1991W $20 1 Ounce Gold coin in 1991, but the only Gold Coins that I know of that has the year in Roman Numerals are the 1907 & 2009 Gold Coins. Did I miss one?

16. Evan Saltis

I like those pictures. SOrry I didn't reply sooner, this must have got lost in my notifications. Ive spent the money I set aside but you certainly have captured my mind. I know what I will be searching for now ;)

fretboard likes this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think all the AGEs had Roman numeral dates from 1986 through 1991.

I still occasionally miss the 1986 proof I sold, but it was the right decision at the time.

Jim Dale likes this.
  18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

No worries, not a problem! :D

Yep, 1986 through 1991! thumbsup.gif

Evan Saltis likes this.
  19. Jim Dale

I've never seen an AGE back that far. I didn't start collecting until 1997 or so when I inherited my father's stash of coins. I need to dig a little farther back to increase my knowledge on gold coins.

20. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I’m buying gold with both hands, even at my age
    A couple 1/4 eagles but 90% GLD
    If if need to sell ever, at a loss, it’s easy to sell something else that I have gains in to offset
    It’s the national debt thing that keeps me bullish

TheFinn and Evan Saltis like this.
  21. Jim Dale

I finally had time to check in my 2020 Red Book and checked it out. How ignorant (which means "not aware" not stupid) could I have been before i wrote my response. Thanks. I humbly apologize and hope to learn more.)

Draft saved Draft deleted