My first French gold coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by DonnaML, Feb 24, 2022.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned before, I sold almost all of my older and more valuable (pre-Victoria, i.e. Elizabeth I - William IV) British gold coins some years ago, but still own about 20 of them -- mostly kept in a safe deposit box -- as well as one Prussian 10 marks coin and a gold $50 piece from the Bahamas. Also, within the last year I've bought four ancient gold coins, two solidi and two aurei. (See the Ancient Coins forum, where I've posted about all of them.)

But I've never had a French gold coin before, even though my paternal grandfather was born in Paris, his parents lived there for a number of years in the 1880s on their way from Eastern Europe to the USA, and a couple of branches of my mother's family lived in Alsace for a couple of hundred years after it became part of France in 1648. Whereas my only direct connection with Great Britain is that my mother spent most of World War II there. So I finally ordered a couple. One of them has arrived. I've wanted one of these for a while, not only because I like the design, but because Marianne was my mother's name.

France, Third Republic, AU (.900 fineness) 10 Francs, 1911, Paris Mint. Obv. Laureate bust of Marianne right, wearing oak-wreath encircling Phrygian cap (cap of liberty), REPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE around, initials J.C.C. in lower right field [for engraver Jules-Clément Chaplain] / Rev. Gallic rooster walking left in meadow of flowers, LIBERTE·EGALITE·FRATERNITE around, 10 - Fcs across fields; in exergue, 1911 flanked by privy marks of cornucopiae to left and torch to right (representing Mint Director and Chief Engraver, respectively). 19 mm., 3.2 g. Gadoury 1017, KM (Krause-Mishler) 846, Yeoman 65.

France 10 Francs Marianne gold 1911 Numiscorner.jpg

I was tempted to buy a gold 20 Francs coin, which has the same design, but the nicest ones I saw (from the 1907-1914 period) are mostly restrikes, and I decided instead to buy an original coin actually struck in the year indicated, at a considerably lower price.

Please post your French gold coins, from any period. When the rest of what I ordered arrives, I will post it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

DonnaML likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Nice one @DonnaML ! I love French Roosters. I picked up a few French gold coins when gold was much cheaper than it is now.
    1876A France 20 Francs.jpg 1905 France 20 Francs.jpg 1907 France 20 Francs.jpg 1912 France 20 Francs.jpg

5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

A nice snag, Donna.

I love the Art Nouveau style of the obverse.

That style is reflected in this work by Leon Solon, who designed the entry to Rockefeller Center.

D-Camera Leon Solon pen, ink and water color work, signed 2-24-22.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  6. DonnaML

panzerman and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I had 1 of those gold coins once. Sold it during hard times. I will get it back maybe next year. Great design both sides.

8. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I've not had the pleasure of owning any French gold yet, but I ran across this awhile ago and found it really interesting, so I bought it. It's an early 1900's brass tube made to hold 50 of the French gold 20 Franc coins. I would imagine these are probably scarce, as a tube of 50 would have been a substantial amount of money at the time.
    20220224_204722.jpg 20220224_204805.jpg 20220224_204745.jpg

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Very Nice rooster

DonnaML likes this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Lovely coin, nice pick-up! I want one of those...

DonnaML likes this.
  11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The 10 francs are much scarcer than the 20s. Nice coin of Gaul.

panzerman and DonnaML like this.
  12. DonnaML

Does anyone know what the flower underneath the rooster is supposed to be?

13. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

This one is an old piece from Napoleon
    3723CCF5-9793-4E24-9DBA-9704D6C797E9.jpeg E14D1C4B-F6D6-4EDB-AC22-30081C2BABE1.jpeg

14. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Only reference I could find just said "Gallic rooster walking on meadow of flowers." No mention of flower type.

DonnaML likes this.
  15. DonnaML

Thank you.

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

17. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

One interesting note is that the France Marianne-Rooster coin appeared on a French World War One poster.

[​IMG]
    French World War One poster with coin

The poster shows a French gold coin attacking a German soldier.
    It was designed by Abel Faivre in 1915 and reads:
    "Pour la France VERSEZ VOTRE OR" (For France, DONATE YOUR GOLD)
    "L'Or Combat Pour La Victoire" (The Gold Fights for Victory)

A work of art becomes part of another work of art.

:)

18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice coin Donna:) France is my second best Country/ after German States in my collection. I just picked up a AV 20 Francs/ Marianne/ Coq from WGI Auction for 340 euros.
    another Louis Napoleon III 011A-00.jpg IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0935.JPG

19. DonnaML

One thing I've noticed from the numerous 1907-1914 gold 20 francs coins (presumably restrikes) that many of you have posted: they seem to be in much higher relief than my 10 francs piece and others I've seen, as well as some of the pre-1907 "original" 20 francs strikes I've looked through. But I'm happy with mine anyway! It took a while to find one that didn't have several noticeable scratches, or what I believe are called "bag marks." Which many of the 20 francs coins have as well.

20. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Restrikes are beautiful but I’m with you @DonnaML on preferring the originals. I got lucky and bought this one raw and had it graded. Used to be a solo top pop but I just looked it up and 3 more have joined the party so 4/0. Sorry for the quick crappy pics.

upload_2022-2-25_18-24-23.jpeg

upload_2022-2-25_18-24-40.jpeg

upload_2022-2-25_18-24-55.jpeg

21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My first 2 were restrikes obviously (1907 and 1911) but I wanted an original and lucked into the 1905.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted