My first Flavian Sesteritus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

This coin is my second exception to my "imperial Flavian coins in silver" rule. I now have 2 imperial bronzes. (I have some Alexandrian Dattari plate coins in bronze as well).

Besides the fact that this coin is a Flavian coin there is one other obvious reason I wanted this very worn coin. I have seen other post their quadrigae of creatures other than horses and I wanted one so this coin ticks both boxes.

Of all the quadrigae that appear on Roman coins I really like the elephants, the snakes, and the cupids the best. I do not think there are any snakes or cupids on Flavian coins so I have to venture outside of my focus to get them. They are cool so I can justify it. Besides it is my collection and I will include whatever I like.

Post your coins with elephants.

Orichalcum sestertius, Rome mint, weight (34.6mm, 24.300g, die axis 180o),
    Struck under Titus, 80 - 81 A.D.;
    Obverse DIVO / AVG / VESP in three lines, S P Q R (Senatus Populusque Romanus - the Senate and the Roman people) in exergue, statue of Vespasian seated in an ornate quadriga of elephants right, each elephant with its own mahout, statue holds a scepter in right hand, Victory in left hand;
    Rev: IMP T CAES DIVI VESP F AVG P M TR P P P COS VIII, legend around large S C (Senatus Consulto);
    RIC 257; BMCRE II 221; SRCV I 2572
    Ex Numismatik Naumann auction 88 (5 Apr 2020), lot 1088 (part of); rare;
    Purchased from Forum Ancient coins June 5, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.12.56 PM.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very cool, @Orfew! Not something I recall ever seeing! Elephants are cool! I'm still grooving on this elephant-drawn biga!

[​IMG]
    C. Caecilius Metellus Caprarius, 125 BC.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.89 g.
    Rome, 125 BC.
    Obv: Head of Roma, right, wearing Phrygian helmet; XVI monogram below chin, ROMA behind.
    Rev: Jupiter, crowned by flying Victory, in biga of elephants left, holding thunderbolt in left hand and reins in right hand; C METELLVS in exergue.
    Refs: Crawford RRC 269/1; Sydenham CRR 485; RCV 145; RSC Caecilia 14.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Yep That Biga is cool. Thanks for posting it here.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats! Even with the wear, one can tell how well engraved that obverse die was. And who doesn't love elephants! While I don't have an elephant quadriga, here are a trio that I picked up this year.

NUMIDIAN KINGDOM Juba I - AE28 ZeusAmmon Elephant 4214.JPG
    KINGDOM OF NUMIDIA. Juba I.
    AE28. 16.49g, 28.2mm. Uncertain Numidian mint, circa 60-46 BC. Mazard 92; MAA 35; SNG Copenhagen 529. O: Head of Zeus-Ammon right. R: Elephant standing right; Punic inscription IOBAI HMMLKT in two lines above.
    Ex Vitangelo Collection

SELEUKID Antiochos III - AE19 shield elephant 4200.JPG
    SELEUKID KINGDOM. Antiochos III Megas.
    AE19. 5.66g, 19.2mm. Uncertain military mint in Coele-Syria, circa 202-187 BC. HGC 9, 490 (S). O: Macedonian shield with central gorgoneion. R: Elephant standing right; anchor above, BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ANTIOXOY below.

Elagabalus - Nicopolis AE17 Elephant 4233.JPG
    ELAGABALUS
    AE17. 3.73g, 17mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis, AD 218-222. Varbanov 3835 (R3); Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2018) 8.26.53.1 corr. (obv legend). O: AV K M AVP ANTΩNEINOC, laureate head right. R: NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC ICT PON, Elephant standing right.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

An interesting scene, Orfew. Congrats :)

Elephant quadriga:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT. Alexandria. Trajan
    AE drachm, 32.3 mm, 19.8 gm
    Regnal year 14 (110/11 CE)
    Obv: AYT TPAIANC EBΓEPM∆AKIK; laureate bust right, with aegis on left shoulder
    Rev: Trajan, laureate, wearing a toga and holding an eagle-tipped sceptre and branch, standing in an elephant quadriga right; LIΔ above.
    Ref: Emmett 462.14; Dattari-Savio Pl. 31, 766 (this coin); RPC 4510.3 (this coin)
    ex Dattari collection (Giovanni Dattari, 1858-1923)

Solo elephant:
    [​IMG]
    Julius Caesar. 49-48 BCE
    AR denarius
    Struck by the military mint traveling with Caesar.
    Obv: elephant standing right, trampling on serpent; CAESAR in exergue
    Rev: simpulum, sprinkler, axe, and priest's hat.
    Ref: Crawford 443/1; Sydenham 1006

Elephants on Roman coins are some of the most comically misrendered critters of all coindom.

Elephant headdress:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT. Ptolemy I Soter
    AR tetradrachm, 27 mm, 17.0 gm (Attic standard)
    Alexandreia mint, struck 313/12 BCE
    Obv: Head of the deified Alexander III to right, wearing mitra of Dionysos and elephant skin headdress, with aegis around his neck, and with horn of Ammon on his forehead
    Rev: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ; Athena Alkidemos advancing right, hurling spear with her right hand and with shield over her extended left arm; to right, eagle with closed wings standing on thunderbolt to right with ΔΙ below
    Ref: Svoronos 33; Zervos series D, issue XIII; SNG Copenhagen 14; BMC 7

Draft saved Draft deleted