My First Fire Alter

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collecting Nut, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks great in hand.

Fire Alter.png

Sassanian Kings, Hormizd II, AD 303-309
    AR Drachm, 3.7g; 27 mm, 9h.
    Obv.: Bust of Hormizd II right, wearing eagle crown with korymbos,
    Rev.: Fire altar with ribbon and bust left in flames, flanked by two attendants.
    Reference: SNS type Ia/3a; cf Göbl type I/1a.

Sorry, I forgot the attributes so I had to edit. I was a little excited. Can imagine why?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Mikey Zee, randygeki, Eng and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Say, that looks familiar. ;) Here's the large resolution image if you'd like...

sass k.jpg

Mikey Zee, randygeki, Eng and 11 others like this.
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is a really nice coin.

I love the eagle hat. Hmmm, Halloween is coming up. Would anyone recognize who I was impersonating if I wore that hat to work? Come on, I am clearly dressed at Hormizd the second, the eighth king of the Sasanian Empire. Where were you in 302 to 309 AD?

:)

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What a great first! I'll post mine shortly.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Tabaristan, Umar B. al Ala hemidrachm.jpeg
    A fire altar from Tabaristan

Chalukyas of Gujarat AR Drachm, India (White).jpeg
    A fire altar from Gujarat, India

1474734030050490880276.jpg
    A fire altar from the Sassanian Empire

Mikey Zee, randygeki, Eng and 10 others like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A difficult to distinguish fire altar from the Persis:

[​IMG]
    KINGDOM OF PERSIS, Vadfradad (Autophradates) II
    Mid-2nd century BC
    AR hemidrachm, 2.06 gm
    Obv: head of Vadfradad right with short beard, wearing diadem and kyrbasia adorned with eagle
    Rev: fire temple, Ahura-Mazda above; to left, Vadfradad standing right; to right, vexillum standard surmounted by eagle
    Ref: Sunrise 578

One of these days I'll get a Shapur drachm with fire altar. He's just too important a figure to do without :).

Mikey Zee, randygeki, Eng and 10 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a couple Fire Alters:

India Gujarat Chalukyas Gadhaiya Paisa BI Drachm 11th C CE  Sun Moon Fire Alter Crescent O-R.jpg
    India Gujarat Chalukyas Gadhaiya Paisa BI Drachm 11th C CE Sun Moon Fire Alter Crescent

India Gujarat Chalukyas Gadhaiya Paisa BI Drachm 9th C CE  Sun Moon Fire Alter Crescent O-tile.jpg
    India Gujarat Chalukyas Gadhaiya Paisa BI Drachm 9th C CE Sun Moon Fire Alter Crescent

Mikey Zee, randygeki, Eng and 11 others like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It should and it's a great coin. Love it! :)

10. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

By the way, the ball on the head is supposed to be the Great King's Hair, just like the tresses in his neck. A large ball of hair, a symbol of strength, like Samson's, braided in a net of silk threads studded with pearls (you can see them on your coin)!

11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Those are really cool. You all are spreading my research areas and expanding my curiosity with those. I've been pretty much Greek, Roman & Macedonian until now.

Collecting Nut and Sallent like this.
  12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Greeks and Romans made some awesome coins, but there is a whole world out there of Asian coinage full of amazingly beautiful and unusual coins that are far different from the typical Greek and Roman stuff you are used to, and you'd do yourself a disservice to completely ignore it.

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'd love to get one of that style, very nice ancientnut. here's my only fire altar of the year so far...

[​IMG]

Sasanian Empire. Khosrau I. AD 531-579. AR Drachm

O: Crowned bust right, Pahlavi script./R: Fire altar with ribbons and attendants; star and crescent flanking flames; RY date on left (regnal year 28, 558AD, mint signature on right, GU (Gurgon mint). 30 mm, 4.1 g

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great OP-addition, Collecting Nut ... congrats

Sassanian Kingdom, Peroz I AR Drahm

459-484 AD

sassya.jpg sassyb.jpg

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I've noticed the big ball on their heads, and I had always wondered what it was. Now I know. Thanks for enlightening me with that info!

Collecting Nut and Sallent like this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Khusru II, Sassanian Kingdom, AD 590-628
    AR, 31.5mm, 4.12g, 2h
    Obv.: Bust of Sassanian king facing right wearing winged crown
    Rev.: Fire altar flanked by two attendants

Altars are something I'm interested in.

[​IMG]
    Cilicia, Mopsos.
    AE20, 7.8g, 12h; 2nd century BC
    Obv.: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev.: MOΨEATΩN; Lighted circular altar on tripod base with lion's legs, M − Π flanking.

[​IMG]
    Antiochos II Theos, Seleucid Kingdom, BC 261 - 246
    AE, 18mm, 4.6g; 12h; Sardes (Sart), Turkey
    Obv.: Laureate head of Apollo right, hair falling in spiral curls down neck and beneath ear
    Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ downward on right right, ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ downward on left; Tripod leges with lion paw feet; monograms outer left and outer right; controls, outer left

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice ... sweet eye-appeal on those babies, JWT

:rolleyes:

Collecting Nut and Jwt708 like this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks man!

19. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Here's a bronze of Ardashir V of Persis (c. 212-224 AD):
    Ardashir V.jpg
    Unfortunately, it illustrates one reason that facing busts are not often used on coins: even moderate wear makes them look really bad. Anyway, Ardashir V started out as a faithful vassal of the Parthians, but eventually he staged a revolt. In about 224 he killed the last Parthian king, Artabanos I, and declared himself Ardashir I ( 224- 241) of the New Persian dynasty, which is now usually called Sasanian. Here is one of his early coins, a silver obol:
    Ardashir I obol.jpg
    Notice that the king wears a Parthian-style tiara in this early coinage; later he switches over to a more distinctly Sasanian-style crown. Also note the fire altar on these early coins does not have the two attendants at the sides who would appear in almost all later Sasanian coinages.

Sasanian coins are really cool, I am probably going to focus on them once I sell off my Parthian collection. The basic type remains pretty constant throughout the series, and many types are common, but there are enough subtle varieties and rarities to maintain interest. You can even collect the later drachms by year and mint-mark, if you can't shake the US collector mentality :woot:

20. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Very nice, I don't have any of those types.
    g117.jpg
    Antioch
    Year 117/ 68 AD
    AE 19
    Obvs: ANTIOX EΩN, Head of Zeus laureate.
    Revs: ЄTZIP, Lighted alter garlanded.
    19mm, 6.7g

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My coin show Friday produced a drachm of Ardashir I. I had wanted one of this style for some time since I have had a billon tetradrachm of his since 1999. The two coins are roughly the same 26mm diameter but the tetradrachm weighs 12.3g while the much thinner drachm is 4.3g. It seems the early Sasanian kings continued the Parthian practice of striking some coins in the formats that would be western subjects but most coins were in the eastern standard system. I believe the two probably contain about the same amount of silver since the heavy coin is poor billon while the light one is good silver (and not easy to photograph when as clean as my new one). I have not yet cataloged it completely. There are several variations of crown and reverse details. I have a lot of studying to do before I understand Sasanians.
    Ardashir I drachm
    oa0440fd3370.jpg

tetradrachm
    oa0450bb1918.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted