My First Electrum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, May 20, 2021.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

It's today that I acquired my first Electrum. Though I posted before, the coin wasn't mine at that time. It weighs 13.27 g. There's a sheep heading left on obverse. Four incuses on the reverse. I recall that Electrum was a natural alloy of gold and silver which was used to struck the first coins in History. The proportion of gold or silver in not stable. It could vary from 1 to 99 %. So it's like white gold unless the proportion of gold is very high, maybe over 80 or 90 %. Hope it's genuine. Here are my own photos.

ElecSheep O.JPG ElecInc R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

As far as I could find out, only one specimen was sold before:
    upload_2021-5-20_15-8-39.png
    ... for 6000 CHF (!). This is probably more than you paid. This is one of those coins you might want to send for authentication.

4. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I don't know where did you look, in acsearch there are 10 examples of von fritze 46....it used to be rare but with the recent flood it's not rare any more

5. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I am sorry to say but IMHO this is fake 99.9%. it is almost 3g underweight. The incuse square is totally different to the design used for staters of kyzikos. The ram is also very different compared to the known dies von fritze 46. I let a 0.01% possibility I'm case it is an ancient forgery; I have never seen one but I am not a scholar studying kyzikos. As someone else proposed already send it for authentication as soon as possible

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...kool Charles...idk if its fake or not, if it is, its a damn goodun! :)

7Calbrey likes this.
  7. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Not really.. 3 grams underweight, style way off , doesn’t appear to have enough gold, seller didn’t know what it was, flan shape is off from genuine coins. Probably not worth sending in..

8. ominus1

...yeah..but other than that...:rolleyes:

Ignoramus Maximus and Kentucky like this.
  9. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

well for ONE, I hope it is real, as I have no clue. Good luck

ominus1, Kentucky and 7Calbrey like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...me too

ominus1 likes this.
  11. ominus1

..me three...:)

AussieCollector and Kentucky like this.
  12. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

That's a shame.

7Calbrey likes this.
  13. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

This coin is not a genuine EL stater. It has a little chanses to be a contemporary plated forgery in the best case.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted