My first die crack coin? Help?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I was looking at a Morgan Dollar I recently received as a gift and I noticed this crack but I don’t know anything about die cracks or VAMS or any of that stuff.

This is the first coin I’ve ever had where I suspected a die crack so I’m hoping I know enough to spot one.

Can someone with more experience let me know if this is a die crack?

Thanks! :)

E595CF61-5A77-4F4C-BA7A-A2D10657C8B1.jpeg
    7578E7B0-698C-4888-84C3-EA8A71CAC08A.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Yes, beautiful die cracks.

capthank likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice find !

capthank likes this.
  5. Gam3rBlake

Yess!!! I applied everything I learned and that was like my first identification of something unique that I wasn’t told when I got the coin.

Just curious:

Do PCGS & NGC consider die-cracks as “damaged” or “details”?

Or do they label it in any way?

I know the coin isn’t worth the cost of sending it in but I’m just curious in the event I find one on another coin.

6. Gam3rBlake

Thanks mate! ;)

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

No, die cracks are not considered damage by anyone, really. When we refer to damage in this hobby, we're talking about something that happens after the coin is ejected from the press when it's struck. If the dies are cracked, the dies are cracked. This just gives us an easy way to identify die pairs via die studies that look at the different cracks, mint mark positions, and any other thing on the die that can be used to differentiate it from all the others.

TL;DR: Die cracks are not damage. They're pretty awesome, actually.

8. Gam3rBlake

Oh whew! That’s good! It would suck if that counted as damage since that’s how the Mint issued it. Damaged.

This is why I enjoy looking at coins with the loupe. Each one has it’s own marks and story. They’re like snowflake. No two coins are alike.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It takes about 130-150 tons of pressure to fully strike a Morgan dollar, so die cracks are pretty common. No, they don't affect the grade. Yes, they are used to determine die states, but they are not used, in and of themselves, to assign VAM's.

If you think die cracks are cool, be on the lookout for an 1899-O with a crack that runs 360 degrees around the outside of the legend on the reverse.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yep. Definite die crack.

Say yes to crack, if it's this kind.

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Gam3rBlake ...You need to take the plunge and try to identify the VAM. Go to the homepage of VAM World and read their introductory articles on vamming. Fair warning...it will get you hooked!…Spark

12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I would have liked to see full coin photos of both sides.

John Burgess likes this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  14. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Please show the full coin and both sides. Nice find. I am interested in the date.

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

I understand your thought process re: die crack possibly being damage.
    Because the actual “damage” is to the die itself, the coins struck from said dies are not considered damaged.
    If you keep looking at other coins, you’ll also find evidence of damaged dies in coins exhibiting ‘die chips’ and/or ‘cuds’, where parts of the die are actually missing, and metal will flow into these areas while being struck, causing a raised area on the coin.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great gift, you are very lucky indeed. Thanks for sharing the Morgan, I'm jealous!

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  17. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

here is a vam with some crack
    1885 O VAM 25A
    why.jpg

john65999 and Gam3rBlake like this.
  18. Roseland3

Roseland3 Active Member

I have an 1882CC, 1883CC and a 1884CC Morgan that are all in Government holders that all have die cracks. I went to VAM World web site and found close representations of the cracks and the corresponding VAM numbers. Really added to my interest in the Morgan silver dollar series. Durning the COVID lock down, having something to do durning this time has kept me sane, (though my wife may think different). I have close to 200 Morgans and 50 Peace silver dollars and have spent a lot of time on VAM World.

COOPER12 likes this.
  19. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Just curious:

Do PCGS & NGC consider die-cracks as “damaged” or “details”?

Or do they label it in any way?

As previously indicated, die cracks are not "damage" just the result of a damaged or failing die and generally referred to as mint errors (the mint didn't intend to the coin to leave the mint in that condition). If you want to see one of the more desirable Morgan VAM's, check out the 1888 O "Scar Face". The obverse die was literally falling apart before it was replaced.
    Several of the TPG's will attribute the variety, usually for an additional fee. Both PCGS and NGC will attribute varieties but not all known. Good luck.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  20. Gam3rBlake

It’s a 1921-D graded MS63 by PCGS. :)

Nothing very rare at all. But still cool to me.

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

Nice that's a keeper. I wish it was mine.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted