my first die clash 1969-D

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tomfiggy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

clash1.jpg clashdate.jpg clashface.jpg clashfaxce.jpg clashSE.jpg clashtrust.jpg clashunited.jpg

Too bad it's so damaged.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I don't think so. Looks like a vice job

paddyman98 and TJ1952 like this.
  4. tomfiggy

I don't know that much about die clashes but I can tell you this. United, and the O under the date are raised, as is the memorial not incuse as would be the case with a vice job. The corner of the memorial is "under" the date so the tops of the numbers are not dented as would be the case with a vice job.

5. tomfiggy

After further inspection I have found a raised D mint mark, and a 81 on the reverse. They are not incuse. What does that mean? The 1 goes under the letter CA of America. It can't be post strike.
    Image84.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. tomfiggy

Here are better pics. I want to show you the 3 dimensionality. All the aberrations /clash are raised, not incuse so it can't be a vice job. Image90.jpg Image105.jpg Image110.jpg Image111.jpg Image114.jpg Image116.jpg Image123.jpg Image125.jpg Image126.jpg Image130.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I agree looks good to me.
    I would expect to see more damage to the devices if it was a vice job.
    Have you done an overlay yet?

8. tomfiggy

I wish I knew how to do an overlay. Do you need photoshop?
    I was thinking maybe the 81 is an 18. I have no idea how this coin could have been created but it's the best "error coin" I have ever found.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  9. Evan8

Hmm I didnt realize it wasn't incused. Maybe it is a die clash. Neat

10. Pickin and Grinin

That is what is throwing me off. How does an 81D make it on an 69d cent?
    Someone playing with a press and used dies?

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. tomfiggy

Yes maybe a 1981 die, a 1969 die, and a memorial reverse. Or a back to the future time traveler? Curioser and curiouser. It is definitely a die error.

12. tomfiggy

How easy is it to get old dies? You would think it would not be easy or we would have way more fakes. Did some mint employees do this and put the 81 on there as a tell that it was a joke? How many did they "mint"? Too many questions about it.

13. Evan8

I think it was messed with. Look at the rim. Its split like something was pressed into it.

14. tomfiggy

The rim is split because it is a misaligned slightly off center strike.

15. Pickin and Grinin

So, a clash would have the tranfered designs incuse, just like a vice job, if the devices are raised as you say. Then It would have to be double struck. Is this an inside job at the denver mint. Did someone throw a 69D in the hopper? Or, is it some kind of Magicians coin? I wonder what @mikediamond would say

16. tomfiggy

A clash would be when 2 dies hit each other with no planchet in between. an impression would be formed on the die from the opposite die. When a coin is struck it would look like mine. A vice job would be different.
    If the TPGS will grade a nail maybe they will grade this

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  17. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

May not be appropriate but I would have soiled my pants if I had seen that in change. Wow.

18. tomfiggy

I found it in a Loomis roll in a box from my bank. I did not see the details on the reverse at first.

19. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

Made your day I bet, tomfiggy!

20. tomfiggy

I still don't know what to make of it. I was astounded and I have never found a clash before. I only collect doubled dies, and RPM's so I would much rather have found one of those. Nonetheless it is the most extraordinary coin I have ever found.

dchjr and Mickey in PDX like this.
  21. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

This is interesting, how does a 1981 get BELOW a 1969. Wouldn't the 1981 be OVER the 1969 if someone added an older cent to the hopper? What does the coin weigh? I would assume 3.1g.

Also, the clash on the Obverse is 180 degrees offset from a regular clash (it happens), but the reverse clash is not rotated. Clash marks across the face would also be rare since it's higher on the coin or set further into the die.
    This picture is from http://www.maddieclashes.com/one-cent-overlays/

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted