My first Crispus and my First Campgate, only $795.00

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Well, this is probably not worth its own thread, but I just got a lot of 6 old bronzes that I sought out because of 2 really nifty Byzantine folles. But three LRB were included and one of them is a Crispus that really impressed me in hand - despite some rather dramatic corrosion on both sides. It is also my first campgate. Sorry about the photos - I have a lot of trouble with bronzes:
    Crispus Campgate (9).JPG

Crispus Campgate (7).JPG

So I started digging in. With all LRB, I start with Doug Smith's Dirty Dozen - I love that site and it is enormously helpful for a non-expert like me (thanks, Doug!). They I started prowling Wildwinds, Vcoins, etc. and here is what I came up with:

Crispus. A.D. 317-326. AE3 (19mm, 3.71g). Rome.
    CRISPVS NOB CAS, Laureate and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield / VIRTVS AVGG, Campgate with closed doors, three turrets above. P-R across fields. Mintmark
    RP. RIC 180 var.

I noticed there are a lot of variations on rows of bricks, turrets, and doors for these campgates. The doors on mine (again, sorry about the photos) are closed, with panels, and feature a kind of arch above the opening (like the Wildwinds example). Although the corrosion on the reverse intrudes, this has the RP in the exergue, meaning 1st Officina, I believe.

The Wildwinds example that most matches mine (I think) has a rather enthusiastic description and some surprising pricing:

"RIC 180 var. Rome, A.D. 318-319 Obverse legend error.
    The impressive artistry of early Rome Mint campgates makes this coin a work of numismatic and architectural art. The archway of the "gate" has a 3-D perspective as do the portals of the turrets or what would more accurately be called watchtowers in my opinion.
    Price
    US$ 795.00
    € 597.73
    £ 506.44
    AUD$ 802.56
    CHF 775.91
    CAD$ 801.36"

Are these rare? (I know mine is damaged, so I am not dreaming of a new car or anything - just curious). Any corrections would be welcome, or further information on this, and I'd love to see other examples. Also, any cleaning advice? The obverse is pitted, but the reverse is lumpy, possibly removable?

P.S. I didn't pay $795.00. The whole lot was $18.50:

Crispus - lot buy.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Whew, $18.50 is a good price. I was afraid there for a minute that I had to give you a good spanking.

ominus1, Deacon Ray, GregH and 7 others like this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Sorry for the scare, John. That was my "teaser" headline. Journalism major a long time ago...

Volodya, GerardV and John Anthony like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

$18.50 is a great deal. $795 and I would have said you were a sucker indeed. But the beauty, and price, is in the eye of the beholder. I am shocked by what some folks are willing to pay at retail...

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

I wasn't sure if Wildwinds information consisted of prices "realized" or just listings. I know very little about LRB prices and it surprised me. Or I figure I'm messing up the attribution somewhere. Here is a photo of the Wildwinds example:
    Crispus from Wildwinds RIC 180.jpg

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have to say that's a real nice coin, and if especially rare then you found a gem in your lot. I got a Macrianus in an uncleaned lot, somebody screwed up by not pulling it out of the lot and selling it individually for $600 +

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well the campgate with the ornamentation (or is it an awning?) over the door appears to be a rare type. I found no examples of the variety on acsearch. Bruck reports that Crispus campgates with three turrets are Rome-only emissions. Interesting. I wonder if this was the work of just one celator having a little fun.

Marsyas Mike and GerardV like this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

Thank you for the information, John. My ignorance about this is near-total (truly my first campgate as noted). I was kind of surprised that it was a Rome mint at all - I only have a few LRB and they mostly seem to be from out East somewhere and are quite common.

10. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Gratz on the coins!

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I can't comment on value or rarity but even with the damage I think it's very cool!

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You will have to look for a while to find another of the type but the corrosion probably makes it worth 1/6 of the total rather than $795. I am not a cleaner but wonder if a real expert could do anything with it. There is nice detail. When you show coins, show both sides. Without obverses we still don't know the value of the lot.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  13. Marsyas Mike

Yeah, the corrosion is pretty bad - the more I looked at the reverse, the more I see it too is pitted pretty deep. It does have a nice style - I was rather surprised when I got it in hand - impressive work by the celator. The Valens isn't too awful either. The other LRB is a Constantine or one of his sons - it is pretty beat up. Heck if I know what it is.

Here is the other side of the whole lot -

Crispus Lot other side.JPG

The one I was really excited about was this one (my attribution - I think I got it, but corrections, as always, appreciated):

Anonymous Follis Class D
    Constantine IX
    (c. 1042-1055 A.D.)
    Constantinople Mint

Christ seated on throne with back; IC left, XC right / ISXS bASILЄ bASIL, cross above, crescent below Ratto 2015-17; SB 1836
    Overstruck on Class C follis
    (5.66 grams / 29 mm)

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That campgate is a really neat find! Even with the corrosion, I'd be happy to have it. Like Doug, I'd be curious to see what a skilled conservator could do with it.

ominus1 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  15. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Some fanatics (not me) know campgates to the finest detail. The one you noted is remarkable for having the stonework extend upward into the turrets. It is normal to have two or three or four projections on top of the campgate that look like Weber grills on tripods. It is rare for the projections to look like the stonework is continued upward. The wildwinds example is special and so is yours, but the corrosion knocks a lot off the value.

ominus1, GerardV and Marsyas Mike like this.
  16. Marsyas Mike

Thank you everyone for your comments and sharing your expertise. I am quite surprised that this is as special as it is (darn that corrosion!). Like I say, I thought I was just getting a couple of cool Anonymous Byzantine folles when I bid - I barely glanced at the little Roman guys. Even the blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes, apparently.

17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

[​IMG]
    :woot:

What a cool campgate! Awesome design and cool legend, I thought all the campgates were "PROVIDENTIAE" !

ominus1, Deacon Ray, GerardV and 2 others like this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

19. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a variation of RIC 180 but rather RIC 180. The variation which mr. Lech Stepniewski also notes in Not In Ric is an engraving error which sees CAS instead of the regular CAES.
    The coin in the OP is not a die match for the coin sold at VAuctions 274 and the corrosion covers what look like two letters between C and S at the end of the obverse legend instead of just one.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My first Crispus / Campgate was only $675, so I did a LOT better than YOU @Marsyas Mike !

RI Crispus 317-326 CE AE Folles Caesar in Trier Campgate - Heraclea mint.jpg
    RI Crispus 317-326 CE AE Folles Caesar in Trier Campgate - Heraclea mint

Ok, so I got this for a LOT less... :D

21. Marsyas Mike

Well, I think each coin was only $3.08 (seller had free shipping) so I feel okay about it...but the corrosion is pretty bad. I included a couple more photos, still poor, but perhaps a little better.

A couple comments folks made - I agree with Seth77, I think mine is not a variation - it looks like there is (was) a full CAES under the corrosion. I think the E is barely visible.

Is there a doodad on the shield? A gorgon or a lion head? Not sure it matters, but I just noticed it.

Is Crispus spelt CBISPVS? That R sure looks like a B to me. But my LRB inscription interpretation skills are rudimentary at best. I've read in some of Doug's Septimius Severus posts about erratic spelling in eastern mints, so I know this sort of thing happens (I have an Uberitas - VDERITAS Volusion ant. with a similar blunder).

Thanks again to all for the comments. I appreciate the help and collector camaraderie.

Crispus details (3).JPG

Crispus details (5).JPG

ominus1, Pellinore, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted