My first CNG win in a while - A big un.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Oct 17, 2017.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I won a one Roman pound, 12 uncia, one (libra) As weight from CNG last week. It arrived yesterday and it is BIG, 332 grams of bronze. The shape is two, truncated, oval cones placed back to back; Oval = 53.5 / 49.6 diameter & 24.6 mm tall. The weight has inscriptions and a face punched into the weight.
    Obv - Face right, EX.BMC.SC inscribed clockwise around top half
    Rev - L punched into center (I think it could be an I which was the letter for one pound = As during the early Roman Republic.)
    Anyone here recognize the face (better pic below) or inscription?
    The seller's pic -

Roman Wt 333 grams CNG 10.11.17.jpg

I can tell that I need another book or two on the subject of weights. The book I use, Scales & Weights by Bruno Kisch, has several tables with letters for this weight:
    • 1 Pound = A (all of the forms of A found on Roman Republican coins) = 12 ounces (uncia)
    • 1 As (poundo) = I = 327.45 grams
    • 1 Libra (as) = 12 ounces = 327.45 grams
    Suggestions would be appreciated. I have unsuccessfully looked for - Byzantine Weights: An Introduction; Book by Simon Bendall; Originally published in 1996. I found the book on two web sites (Vcoins and one other), but it was sold when I checked. I did not find it on Amazon. BW by Bendall is given as a reference on many of the weights I have seen on the internet.

I have a half As weight = 6 Uncia with inscriptions also.
    IMG_4315 cropped (2).jpg
    IMG_4316 (2).jpg

154 grams of bronze. The shape is two, truncated, circular cones placed back to back. The piece has inscriptions punched into the top.
    Obv - VNCIA (and something after A), top row; VI, bottom row; center dot surrounded by a circle.
    Rev - center dot surrounded by a circle.

A few of the items that have arrived recently:
    DSCN1188.JPG

DSCN1186 (2).jpg

A bit more is on my blog.
    http://rrdenarius.blogspot.com/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You sir, have absolutely the best rock collection!

Jaelus, Mikey Zee, AncientJoe and 2 others like this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very interesting. Congrats on the great acquisitions.

5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Uber cool. It is interesting, I had not noticed the lot in the last auction. Ah well. As for the book, I would suggest you contact Charles Davis (he is on VCoins) and let him know you are looking for the title. You would be amazed at the books he either has or can locate.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

very interesting :D

7. rrdenarius

Thanks, good suggestion.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool addition!

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, WAY cool Gene! Those are some great weights, and I DID miss them in CNG... however, I was distracted with my capture from Kuenker, so I was not paying good attention to other auctions.

So, would you have any ideas to the dates? Are these pre-denarii / Aes Grave era?

10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow. That is a hefty addition! Congrats on your win!

11. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

12. rrdenarius

I do not know dates for the pieces. My interest is in Republican era pieces, but it looks like these pieces stayed around a long time and dating them is tuff. I am looking for a book or two on the subject.

This is what the sellers said:
    150 gram bronze with VI - It looks like a byzantine weight, but it has a Roman inscription VNCIAS VI.
    327 gram bronze with face - ROMAN. Circa 4th century AD(?).
    130 gram Sardo-Punic lead weight - no date info given

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I love heavy metal!

[​IMG]

RAGNAROK likes this.
  14. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Awesome!! Can you take a photo holding it in your hand when it arrives? I'd like to see what holding 332 grams looks like.:)

Alegandron likes this.
  15. rrdenarius

It is big at 330 grams. I think the oval outer diameter, 53.5 / 49.6 X 24.6 mm tall, makes it look a bit bigger. It looks more than twice as big as the half pound weight (6 uncia) which is 154 grams and 33 mm diameter X 26 mm tall. The aes rude is 49 grams and the lead weight (white color) is 130 grams.
    DSCN1202.JPG
    DSCN1205.JPG
    DSCN1206.JPG

16. ancientcoinguru

Thanks @rrdenarius! Those are so cool, I think I might need to add some weights to my collection:smuggrin:.

17. rrdenarius

2.17.16 003.JPG @ancientcoinguru for comparison here are cast coins of about the same weight.
    2.17.16 003.JPG

18. ancientcoinguru

I appreciate those extra photos @rrdenarius. Good comparison.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted