My first Chola gold and also a commemorative!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Sep 10, 2020.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Rajendra Chola, son of Raja Raja Chola, 1/8 Kahavanu (1014-1044 AD). 9mm, 0.45G. While his father conquered all of South India and most of Sri Lanka, Rajendra not only finished the job started by his predecessor but also went as far as South East Asia, subjugating various kingdoms including the Sri Vijayan Empire to primarily control the trade with China!
    While Cholas had so many countries conquered, they mostly took pride in having their neighbors Cheras and Pandyas under control. The bitter-sweet relation between these three Tamil kingdoms goes back all the way since 300BC when they all banded to prevent Ashoka from marching any south! The coin commemorates Rajendra's control of the neighboring Cheras & Pandyas, this symbolism is same as the Chola's royal seal in my avatar! This coin depicts Chola's royal emblem tiger in the middle, flanked by Pandya's Twin Fishes, and the Chera's bow (off-centered line behind the tiger) all under a single umbrella. Rev says Yudhamalla aka one who's strong in battle.
    chola gold.png
    Map showing territories under Raja Raja I (985-1014 AD).
    Rajaraja_territories,.png
    Map showing territories and vassals of Rajendra Chola (1014-1044 AD).
    800px-Rajendra_map_new.svg.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted