My first Celtic coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Of Celtic coins, there have been made many in a large area. The coins from Gaul (now roughly France) can be especially fantastic. The coins from the east are more easily recognizable as imitations of Greek types. I love them both very much, they are very original and artistic.
    Here's my dancing manikin:

4134.jpg

and I have this beautiful coin of the Bellovaci, who lived around Beauvais, that nice town with its extremely high-heeled Gothic cathedral.

4136 Bellovaci.jpg

And one of my great favorites is this billon stater of the Suessiones, who lived around Soissons, again, a small city with a magnificent Gothic cathedral.

4132 Suessi.jpg

Nathan401, RAGNAROK, Bing and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great acquisition, @Orfew, a very charming type. On my list. :) I also suffer from a paucity of Celtic coins, but I do have one from the Remi:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 12.27.38 PM.jpg
    Base gold 1/4 stater (10mm, 1.31g), 2nd-1st c. BCE

I understand the Remi were considered to be part of the Belgae, so a mix of Gallic & Germanic, though Caesar regarded them as closer to Gallic than the other Belgae. They sided with Caesar throughout his conquest and were apparently an important source of horses.

Wow, that is a truly amazing coin, @Pellinore!!

RAGNAROK, TIF, Bing and 5 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I love it. A really intriguing obverse!

Orfew likes this.
  6. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I love everyone's great coins. Thank you for the post.

The coin has forced me to review the Celtic tribes, again. I didn't know anything about the Remi tribe.

Remi.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remi

As I get older, I have become less and less of an admirer of Julius Caesar. It is hard to ignore his murder of up to a million Gauls and enslavement of an equal number for his own political and financial gain.

Gauls.gif
    (Video clip from HBO's "Rome," depicting Gallic chieftain Vecingetorix's surrender.)

Thank you, again, everyone for sharing.

Pellinore, RAGNAROK and Alegandron like this.
  7. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

vercinwintorix.jpg
    Ye're walcum!

8. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

RAGNAROK likes this.
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks @dadams for the link to the article. It was a good read.

dadams likes this.
  10. Pellinore

In today's evening light, I made this photo of my Celtic Rainbow Cup, in this case a little potin coin issued by the Batavi tribe (probably), around 50 BC. It was found near the great Celtic temple in Elst (near the Rhine in the Eastern Netherlands). The convex side shows a triquetrum or three-legged swastika, the hollow side shows four Celtic rings. 15 mm, 4.46 gr.

4133.jpg

RAGNAROK, Bing, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  11. Pellinore

And here's another one, issued by the Senones, who lived in the area of Sens (surprise!). Common, but very nice I think.

Potin Senones, 80-50 BC. Obv. Head facing r. with 6 strands of hair. Rev. Horse l. with long whipping tail, two pellets in the field. 20 mm, 3.57 gr. De La Tour 7417. Wildwinds has these coins, too.

4140 ct.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    dadams, RAGNAROK, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted