My first cast chinese

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Muhammad Niazi, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

I have no prior experience with chinese cast hole coins or how to identify them, so I am going to rely on seeking ID help from you guys.

I had my sister take the pictures, as im in university in another city.
    IMG-20211008-WA0056~2.jpg IMG-20211008-WA0055.jpg

Theodosius, +VGO.DVCKS, Ryro and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Looks like a cash coin from the Tang dynasty:

P1210743bb (6).jpg

Theodosius, +VGO.DVCKS, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a Kai Yuan (Hartill 14) Tang Dynasty as Andres2 said but yours is a different minor variation (there are many) of which I am no student. Your reverse image needs to be rotated 1/4 turn counterclockwise placing the 'nail mark' (Hartill reverse variety e, page 106) at the bottom. Your coin also differs from his in the Yuan (bottom character). His has the raised left shoulder while yours strikes me as more 'running'. I only have the plain Hartill 14.1 and know nothing about the fine points of ID. They were made in several mints over a period of almost 300 years. We expect many variations.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiyuan_Tongbao
    ch14.1.jpg

5. sand

sand Well-Known Member

Hello @Muhammad Niazi
    Your coin has a nice blue-green patina, on the obverse.
    The characters on your coin, resemble Kai Yuan Tong Bao, although I'm not 100% certain. The upper character resembles Kai. The lower character resembles Yuan. The right character resembles Tong. The left character resembles Bao.
    There are 2 possibilities, that your coin could be, as far as I know :
    1. It looks similar to a Chinese 1 cash coin, from the Tang Dynasty, from 618 AD to 907 AD.
    2. It also looks similar to an early Vietnamese 1 cash coin, from 1100 AD to 1500 AD. Some of the early Vietnamese coins were similar to the Chinese Tang Dynasty 1 cash coins, with characters that resemble the Kai Yuan Tong Bao characters.
    I don't know, if your coin is authentic, or not.
    I'm not an expert on authenticating and attributing Chinese coins and Vietnamese coins.
    There are other CoinTalk members, who are much more expert than I am, regarding Chinese coins and probably Vietnamese coins. @TypeCoin971793 is one such expert, for Chinese coins. He may also be an expert for Vietnamese coins. Or maybe not. I don't know. Perhaps he will chime in, eventually.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

TANG DYNASTY

Favorite Dynasty with wonderful Tang Horse art

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    China Tang Dynasty - Anon Middle Type 718-732 CE AE Cash

[​IMG]
    China Tang 718-732 CE AE Cash Kai Yuan Tong Bao - Crescent H 14.3

[​IMG]
    China Tang 845-846 CE AE Cash Kai Yuan Tong Bao - Luo H 14.77

[​IMG]
    China Tang AE Cash H 14.101

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Tang...what the astronauts drink....not to mention a Dynasty in China..:) tang.jpg IMG_0741.JPG IMG_0742.JPG

9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

According to the script on the coin, I think the bronze piece is of a little later time period, during the Northern Song dynasty. 1032-1033 AD. I compared the obverse top and right characters.

Here is a web link to a similar coin
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces27408.html

Andres2, dougsmit, EWC3 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

looking closely at the letters, it does look more like Song dynasty :pompous:

11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I don’t know why I didn’t get notified by the tag. I would have answered sooner.

This is correct. It is a Ming Dao Yuan Bao from the Northern Song Dynasty. The characters are written in regular script on the OP’s coin. I see no reasons to believe it isn’t authentic. This coin was also issued with the inscription in seal script, Which IMO is far more beautiful. Here is a picture of both types from my collection.

62524F35-4D01-4E0B-B091-A7525DEA3AC8.jpeg

12. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thanks for posting your coin, @Muhammad Niazi ,

I received this awesome gift from a friend. It’s my one and only ancient Chinese coin.

SONG_DYNASTY.jpg

sand, Andres2 and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted