My first Byzantine Gold coin is so nice it gets AAAAs! Not so solid Solidus. But who can it be now?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Not having any gold in my collection, a single tiny piece of electrum not withstanding, I was pretty excited to find this fun fouree (hopefully you picked up the pun in the title of the thread) for a song from a seller I trust. So, I snatched it up as a snack to go along with some really fun Celtic Senons coins that I'm planning on posting when I'm done researching.
    Speaking of researching, I'm having a very hard time figuring out who is supposed to be depicted on this coin and any help would be appreciated.
    It was listed as, "Solidus Fouree TBD - Nicephore and Stauracius? TBD
    Diameter: 20.5mm
    Weight: 2.80 grs".
    Though, to me it appears to, sort of, look like it says Constantine. Could it be a barbarous Solidus fouree?
    Sellers pics:
    Screenshot_20201029-125806_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    My overly saturated pic to help us view the crud covered side:
    Screenshot_20201029-124716_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

Looking around I couldn't find any other fouree Nicephore and Stauracius. Nor any solid coins of theirs that looked much like my new mud covered mystery!
    Sadly, AC search pulls up very little when it comes to byzantine nor solidus fourees. Here's the closest I could find:
    5998895.m.jpg
    Byzantine
    Constantine V Copronymus, with Leo III AD 741-775. Syracuse
    Foureé Tremissis AE
    14 mm., 0,53 g.
    Bust facing wearing crown and chlamys and holding cross potent and akakia / Facing bust of Leo III with short beard, wearing crown and chlamys and holding globus cruciger and akakia.
    very fine
    Cf. Sear 1567.

Close, but much smaller than my coin.
    346-celebs.jpg

This being my first solidus I'm out of my usual collecting (not even a shield in view) area and am asking for help. Please post if you have any ideas, Solidus, especially fourees, (though I only ever recall seeing one on CT a very interesting @dougsmit coin) or anything relevant.
    So please let me know...

Edessa, Herodotus, ominus1 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I could be mistaken, but in the back of my mind (I know, don't go there!) I think @panzerman has this, or something like it. ;)

ominus1, +VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  4. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Owning gold never makes you a loser. At your place, I'll try to clean the reverse after consulting professionals in this respect. There are quite enough a few on this site. Just an opinion.. Good luck @ Ryro.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I looks almost like a copy of a Leo V and Constantine to me:
    [​IMG]

Edessa, ominus1, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  6. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

That's actually a very nice fouree and thus somewhat jealous I didn't find it first. I like the simplistic approach to the coins during this period. It seems to be Sear 1632 of Leo V:

[​IMG]

Edessa, ominus1, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  7. Ryro

source-1.gif
    Thank you! That sure looks spot on. And his son was a Constantinus!
    I also just found another fouree of the type on AC search that seals the deal for me:
    6321903.m.jpg
    LEO V. U. S. SON CONSTANTINUS. 813-820, "Syrakus" .Au-Tremissis .. Crowned frontal bust of Leo V with a crossed globe. Rs: Crowned frontal bust of Constantine with a cross globe. Sear cf. 1632. Subaerat. Gold coat almost completely

Again, thanks so much for sharing your expertise @Quant.Geek :):singing:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  8. Ryro

Doh! Totally missed your previous post. Sorry for the faux pas.
    @furryfrog02 thanks so much!
    FF2 with the assist and @Quant.Geek with the slam dunk!
    tenor-34.gif
    (Is my old school Utah showing?)

ominus1, Alegandron and panzerman like this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Hey, I tried at least. Failed...but tried...nice gold.

ominus1 and Ryro like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Fun snack! I’d love one of these fourrees some day. My only Byzantine solidus is also less than... well, it’s just less. :shame:

[​IMG]
    BYZANTINE EMPIRE, Constantine VII Porphrogenitus
    AV Solidus (heavily clipped and ex-jewelry). 1.22g, 9.6mm. Constantinople mint, AD 945-959. Sear 1751; DOC 15. O: [+IhS XPS RЄX RЄGNANƮIUM], bust of Christ facing, wearing nimbus cruciger, pallium and colobium, raising right hand in benediction and holding Book of Gospels in left hand. R: [CONSƮANƮ CЄ ROMAN AVGG], facing busts of of Constantine VII, with short beard and wearing loros on left, and Romanus II, beardless and wearing chlamys on right, both crowned and holding between them long patriarchal cross.

Edessa, ycon, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I do not have any fourees:( But I do have a bunch of Byzantine AV coinage.
    AV Solidus ND/ Constantinople Mint
    Constantine V/ Leo III 9003.164.26_1.jpg

Edessa, DonnaML, ominus1 and 3 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I felt very lucky to find this fourree which was gold over silver. Gold sticks to silver better than to copper and was probably more deceptive in its day.
    rz0455bb1174.jpg

Edessa, ominus1, Theodosius and 4 others like this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...wow Ryro...you've gone gold on us eh?!....`congrats....:) big time.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Ryro likes this.
  14. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Here's my recently acquired fouree of theodora. I've already shared it a few times, but what the hell! I can't quite it explain it but I'm really drawn to these byzantine gold fourees. If my money weren't being called other places I could easily see it becoming a subcollection for me.

image01254.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted