My first bronze As from the Republican period

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mr.MonkeySwag96, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

My most recent purchase is this humble AE As issued by L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi in 90 BC to fund the Social War

[​IMG]

90 BC - Roman Republic. L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi Æ AS / FRVGI Attribution: Crawford 340/4; Calpurnia 18; Sydenham 677 Date: 90 BC Obverse: Head of Janus Reverse: Prow right, FRVGI below Size: 26.25mm Weight: 9.72 grams Description: nearing VF

Ex. Marc Breitsprecher

This As is one of four coins I own dating to the Social War period:

[​IMG]

4.04g Head of Mutinus Titinus right, hair in a winged diadem Pegasus springing from a platform inscribed "Q TITI" RSC Titia 1

Ex. Aegean Numismatics

[​IMG]

Q. Titius. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.91 g.) Rome mint, struck 90 BC Obv. Head of young Bacchus (or Liber) right, wearing ivy wreath. Rev. Pegasus springing right on tablet inscribed Q TITI. Crawford 34 About good VF, Beautiful old cabinet toning, iridescent around devices.

Ex. Marti Classical Numismatics

[​IMG]

Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo right, Reverse: Horseman galloping right, long caduceus above, L. PISO FRVGI / T in two lines below. Weight: 3.92 grams. Diameter: 19.26 mm.

Ex. Lodge Antiquities

Feel free to post pictures of your coins minted during the Social War!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Jay GT4, singig, Limes and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Congrats! One of my goals to to get a portrait denarius of Sulla.

4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Yesterday, I bought from Marc Breitsprecher also a Titius - Bacchus denarius like yours. It's on the way, haven't received it yet. The reference for Crawford is 341/2.

The gens Titia was a plebeian family in ancient Rome, though the person of the moneyer Quintus Titius is obscure; he certainly was a contemporary of Sulla, also a colleague of C. Vibius Pansa and triumvir monetalis in 90 BC.

Bacchus is the Latin form of Bakchos, a name of Dionysos, the god of wine, ecstasy, rapture and exhilaration in Greek mythology.

According to ancient legends, the winged horse Pegasus was conceived by Poseidon and the gorgon Medussa. When Medussa was killed by Perseus, Pegasus sprang up from Medussa’s neck and had as twin brother Chrysaor. Another legend says that he was born from the spot where Medussa’s blood dropped onto the earth.
    Pegasus brought lighting and thunder to Zeus, and was tamed by Bellerophon. After Bellerophon died, Pegasus returned to Mount Olympus to help the gods.

Rome, 90 BC
    4.04 g, 16.63 mm
    Crawford 341/2; Sydenham 692; Titia 2;
    Ob. : Anepigraphic; Head of Bacchus right, wreathed in ivy
    Rev.: Pegasus prancing right from a tablet inscribed Q•ΤΙTI

Picture by Marc:
    Bacchus-Pegasus.jpg

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  5. PMah

PMah Member

Congratulations. It is an interesting era with readily available Roman silver coins, although there are a few quite rare issues. The bronze are usually very heavily worn and often scarcer than denarii. The coins of the Italian insurgents are much rarer. The Roman state had to issue massive quantities to fund their counter-efforts.

cmezner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted