My First Aurelian!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

It does count as a relevant difference. What they're calling "Issue 9" from Rome comes in several varieties. The varieties differ in the officina position (XXI[off] vs. [off]XXI) and the position of Sol's feet (both flat on the ground vs. one raised). For example, for officina Δ they have listed ΔXXI(flat) and ΔXXI(raised) as different numbers. For the sixth officina (like yours would be) they seem to only have XXIϛ(flat) (i.e. the one I linked earlier) and ϛXXI(raised). So in principle it could be an unlisted variety at Rome: XXIϛ(raised).

But it's not. Looking at the style of the cuirass, it must be the 7th issue at Serdica. Turns out the dots are optional, like @Andres2 and @cmezner said. (For some clear dots, see this one from the third officina.) The correct ID is RIC(temp) 2653, so Serdica, the second officina and an S, like you originally thought. Y'all were totally right and I was totally wrong. :)

Common, but still a nice coin! :)

dougsmit and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander likes this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Welcome to the "hand on hilt" club! Great coin to start.
    Aurelian is one of my top 5 Emperors despite dying so early. The guy put the pieces of an impossible jig saw puzzle back together by force!
    B180C60E-5EBE-4D7D-B0A6-0E9639D2DEA2.png 5A5F9380-C8AB-45CB-923E-82BCC611E0D6.png 5DF703AE-48F1-4593-A172-D757F92AA92C.png 8FFB480F-6A95-4404-982E-686D07DEBD25.png

5. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

This was my first Aurelianus (and one of my favorites):
    41F2B8C4-7529-4B8C-8985-3D3E5A14EA11.jpeg
    RIC V 135, 4.282g, 22.7mm, Mediolanum mint, obverse IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right; reverse ORIENS AVG (the rising sun of the Emperor), Sol standing half left, radiate, nude but for chlamys over shoulders and left arm, raising right hand commanding the sun to rise, globe in left hand, foot on captive left, P in exergue.

6. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

And of course, the classic one with Vabalathus:
    7EE73FE1-2EED-4835-B44E-F685E11B4342.jpeg
    Billon antoninianus, MER-RIC 3108, BnF XII 1251, Göbl MIR 353a6, RIC V-2 381, Cohen VI 1, SRCV III 11718, Hunter IV -, 3.776g, 20.1mm, 6th officina, Antioch mint, Nov 270 - Mar 272 A.D.; obverse IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right, from the front, S below; reverse VABALATHVS V C R IM D R, laureate, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Vabalathus right, from behind.

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Congrats on your first Aurelian @furryfrog02 !

My first Aurelian was kind of a turd I picked up in an uncleaned lot, I gave him away somewhere along the line. This is my first Aurelian coin that is currently in my collection.

Capture.JPG

Aurelian Potin Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt. Year 5 = 274-275 AD.

O: A K L DOM AVPHLIANOC CEB, laureate, cuirassed bust right R:ETOYC Epsilon, star left, eagle standing left, head right, with wreath in its beak. Milne 4422 20 mm, 8.4 g

Here is my most recent Aurelian, from one of the secret santa gift exchanges.

[​IMG]

Here is my other Aurelian...

Capture.JPG

Aurelian, Antoninianus, 270-275 AD

O: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG; R: RESTITVT OR_BIS, Female standing right, presenting wreath to emperor standing left, scepter in left hand S in middle field XXI in exergue Antioch Mint; 23mm, 3.8g RIC V: 386

These coins are my entire Aurelian collection.

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Some of my more photogenic Aurelians:

[​IMG]
    Aurelian, AD 279-275.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.61 gm, 20.6 mm.
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust, r.
    Rev: FORTVNA REDVX, Fortuna seated l., holding rudder and cornucopiae, wheel under seat; S in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 128; MER/RIC 1466; CBN 452; Sear 11539; MIR 16, Hunter p. cx.

[​IMG]
    Aurelian, AD 270-275.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 4.28 gm, 23.3 mm.
    Siscia, issue 6, AD 272-274.
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: IOVI CONSER, emperor standing r., holding short scepter, receiving globe from Jupiter standing left, holding long scepter; *T in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 225; MER/RIC temp 2210; Cohen 108.

[​IMG]
    Aurelian AD 270-275.
    Roman silvered billon Antoninianus, 4.29 gm, 23.4 mm.
    Uncertain Balkan mint, issue 1, AD 271-272.
    Rev: LIBERT AVG, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 396; MER/RIC temp 2447; CBN 958; Sear 11555; MIR 270a; Cohen 119.

[​IMG]

Aurelian AD 270-275.
    Roman silvered billon Antoninianus, 3.60 gm, 21.7 mm, 6 h.
    Rome mint, officina 9, issue 11, early – September AD 275.
    Rev: ORIE-N-S AVG, Sol walking r., holding olive branch in r. hand and bow in l. hand, l. foot resting on a captive in oriental dress kneeling on the ground to r., head turned l., r. hand raised; * in left field, XXIR in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 64; MER/RIC temp 1834; RCV 11569; Hunter 23; Cohen 159; La Venera 1321-32.

9. furryfrog02

Roman Collector likes this.
  10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

An unusual one...to me:
    Aurelian. 270-275 AD. Billon Antoninianus (22mm). Serdica or Siscia mint, 3nd officina. early 273-early 274 AD. Obv: Radiate and cuirassed HUGE bust facing, head right. Rev: CONCORD MILIT, Aurelian standing right clasping hands with Concordia standing left; Γ in ex.
    AurelianAnt1.jpg

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

12. furryfrog02

That one is pretty cool too! I've never seen one with such a large bust. Why do I feel dirty saying that?

13. furryfrog02

@Bing That second one, with the Victory on the reverse....wow!

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thanks. Yes, these are pretty coins with Victory facing and rising between two shields. I don't know if these are scarce, but I haven't seen many. I think @dougsmit has at least one example.

16. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Glad you scored that great Aurelian @furryfrog02. I only have this one to share:

tn_Aurelian-RIC216.jpg
    Aurelian (270-275), Æ2 Post-Reform Antoninianus. Siscia, Officina 4 AD 272-274.
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG - Radiate, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: CONCORDIA MILITVM - Emperor standing right clasping hand of concordia.
    *Q in exergue. 22.5mm, 3.408g
    RIC V, Part I SISCIA 216

Jwt708, ominus1, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats on your first Aurelian, @furryfrog02, but I think I have to strike the discordant note here and say that I think Aurelian really turned up the dial on numismatic boringness when he whipped the mints into shape. I've tried, but I just really have trouble getting excited about most of his post-reform coinage. Give me the loosey-goosey ways of Claudius II any day, when they just let Kevin be Kevin! :p

Claudius II - FJ Coll Pax Siscia DblStk 2557.jpg
    CLAUDIUS II
    AE Antoninianus. Double struck on obverse. 2.87g, 20.7mm. Siscia mint, end AD 269 - early AD 270. New RIC V/1 Online temp #746. O: IMP CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right. R: PAX AVG, Pax standing left, holding olive branch and long transverse sceptre.
    Ex Finn Johannessen Collection (purchased from Ancient Treasures, 30 Oct 2004)

Yup, the only good Aurelian for me is an Aurelian on a key ring...

Aurelian - Keychain.jpg

Just kidding about the key ring part. :D Here's my Aurelian as, which I'm genuinely fond of...
    aurelian as.jpg
    AURELIAN
    AE As. 7.1g, 24.5mm. Rome mint, Jan-Sep AD 275. RIC 80; Sear 11646; C 35; New RIC V online temp #1878. O: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right. R: CONCORDIA AVG, Aurelian and Severina clasping hands, radiate bust of Sol between them; Δ in exergue.
    Ex CNG E-340 (12 Jun 2013), lot 388

Jwt708, ominus1, Alegandron and 10 others like this.
  18. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Oooh, I have one of those too. I love these "tough guy" busts.
    AurelianRIC216.JPG
    Aurelian RIC 216 Siscia

And a rare early reign issue from Siscia:
    AurelianRIC202v.JPG
    Aurelian RIC 202v Siscia

Here's one of my favorites due to it being only known by a few (only two that I could find anywhere) old examples for this officina (http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/coin/2236):
    AurelianUnlisted.jpg
    Ric Temp 2236 Siscia (unlisted in RIC)

I have a ton of Aurelian coins... he was one of the first emperors that I got into collecting. I also love his alexandrian coins:
    Aurelian4393.jpg
    Aurelian Milne 4393

Coins of his lady... who possibly was an acting Empress after Aurelian's death are fun too:
    SeverinaRIC3.jpg
    Severina RIC 3 Rome

19. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

20. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool FF2...can't have'em all if you don't have him...:) kbaby eats Aurlieian silverwash antiochos ll lyre 004.JPG kbaby eats Aurlieian silverwash antiochos ll lyre 005.JPG

21. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

Very nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted